AVIC411.com

HOWTO: add voice guidance mute button

I'm new to the hacks, and only have interest in a few, but this is one of them. I'm looking for a little reassurance before proceeding.

I've backup up my flash disk to my desk top, and have downloaded this mod. My assumption is that I should take this content and add it to/ over-write a new copy of my Data.zip folder in the proper sub-folder locations, and then just copy/ replace this new Data.zip folder in over my existing folder in the head unit. Is this correct, or should I be opening the Data.zip folder in the unit and adding content there?

I appreciate the hand holding on this one. Trying to play "better safe than sorry."

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two ways to do it:

1. Take files you want to change from the mod's DATA.ZIP to the same locations. I.e. file.ui goes into ui_pioneer\common\ui anf file_800_480.ui goes to ui_pioneer\800_480\ui folder inside the ZIP file.

Using WinRAR or 7ZIP isw very much preferred here because WinZIP is brain dead and won't add files to a subfolder inside an archive.

2. Preferred option for testing out changes: create a folder ui_pioneer on your SD card. inside create 800_480 and common subfolders, and ui folder inside each of those subfolders. Now copy changed files to those ui subfolders, as above, and copy the entire ui_pioneer to APL2\iGO folder on the head unit.

This way you can keep a working DATA.ZIP on the unit and test out changes. If they work, you can move them to DATA.ZIP later on. If you don't like them, roll back by deleting ui_pioneer from the head unit.

• 2 weeks later...

MAV!!!!! You are THE MAN!!!!!!

Thank you to anyone that's also contributed to making this hack!!!!!

I tried installing your data.zip file once without any luck. I did so again just now because my speedometer stopped working. It's always great to know how fast you're going. Now I can procrastinate on getting my speedo fixed!

If any of you are ever in the Toronto area, let me know. PM me. I'd love to take you for a beer, or a few.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

geeze you would think a almost professional satellite hacker (FTA included) that did tons of 3100 tsop locks and tsop edits would be able to do this.... but damn Im scared.... I backed up my "my flash disc" as I read that I should do... so I now I have a copy in a safe place...... now, this is basically the only hack I wanna do right now, but I have no idea what to do... I read this topic over 10 times and just cant comprehend what to do... can some one hold my hand and do a step by step to do this hack? I understand copying and pasting.. but where do I put the "code" I open the files with notepad and see stuff in there and I guess it is in there where we would put it.. but where in there? cant someone just make a modded data.zip file that would have the hack in it all ready to go and just copy and paste that to the f90bt and be done with it?? and on page 4 boris said this: create a folder ui_pioneer on your SD card. inside create 800_480 and common subfolders, and ui folder inside each of those subfolders. Now copy changed files to those ui subfolders, as above, and copy the entire ui_pioneer to APL2\iGO folder on the head unit." now this would seam easy to me.. but alas, my 35 year old brain just cant get it.. (maybe missing spaces or adding punctuation??)it cant be this hard????? can it??

Please help

geeze you would think a almost professional satellite hacker (FTA included) that did tons of 3100 tsop locks and tsop edits would be able to do this.... but damn Im scared.... I backed up my "my flash disc" as I read that I should do... so I now I have a copy in a safe place...... now, this is basically the only hack I wanna do right now, but I have no idea what to do... I read this topic over 10 times and just cant comprehend what to do... can some one hold my hand and do a step by step to do this hack? I understand copying and pasting.. but where do I put the "code" I open the files with notepad and see stuff in there and I guess it is in there where we would put it.. but where in there? cant someone just make a modded data.zip file that would have the hack in it all ready to go and just copy and paste that to the f90bt and be done with it?? and on page 4 boris said this: create a folder ui_pioneer on your SD card. inside create 800_480 and common subfolders, and ui folder inside each of those subfolders. Now copy changed files to those ui subfolders, as above, and copy the entire ui_pioneer to APL2\iGO folder on the head unit." now this would seam easy to me.. but alas, my 35 year old brain just cant get it.. (maybe missing spaces or adding punctuation??)it cant be this hard????? can it??

Please help

I was confused by this also. It's been about a week and half since I've been using this method (option 2). I wish I knew how to do it sooner as I would have saved tons of time zipping and unzipping and replacing previous failed files.

Maybe I can explain how I interpreted the info.

When open your "My Flash Disk" you'll notice there are several folders and loose files. One of the folders is AP2. The AP2 folder is where most of the action is that we mess with. Open AP2 and there are two more folders one is IGO and the other VBT. Open IGO and you'll see four more folders; content,license,scansoft, data.zip and several loose files. One of those files is the executable, ezrider.exe. Think of that as the brains of the navigation. Everything else are the arteries. Losse the brain, you're dead. If some of the arteries don't communicate with the brain correctly, the unit will either crash, meaning it will go into a loop without ever reaching the start up screen or if we forget something simple the unit will go to the start up screen and hang there.

You'll see alot mentioned about data.zip. Really I should have said most of the action is within the data.zip. Open data.zip and you'll see four folders and two loose files. One of the folders is ui_pioneer. Look at how that is structured. Now create a folder structured just as it is there. You can leave out the icons folder as we don't do anything with those.

Depending on the file you're working on put in the same folder that it would be in in data.zip. Now this where you can save some time. After you've updated your files and placed them in the ui_pioneer folder copy and paste that folder to the section that contains content,license,scansoft, data.zip and several loose files. Remove your SD disk, shut down your system and re-start it. If all goes well you'll have new mods. If not you can take the ui_folder and delete it. The unit will revert back to your last working copy which is on your data.zip that you never touched. Don't forget you still have ui_pioneer folder on your SD disk. From there you can try to work out the issue. Then do it again to if you've succeeded. Give a good test run before you're convinced it's what you want and all the other features still work. After you're convinced you can then copy those individual files into your data.zip and reload that into the unit.

So what you'll have is your "My Flash Disk" back up. Don't change anything in there. An extra data.zip to download you final working mod to and the ui_pioneer folder structured just as it is on the data.zip that you use to test out your changes with.

I hope I didn't confuse you even more.

Believe me, I wish I was using this method from the get go. Thank you Boris!!!

sorry....lol ..... yes you confused me even more....... damn.... I guess I am retarded lol you guys make it sound sooooo easy.... I found a data.zip file here from a guy named "Maverickster" he seams to know his shit... if I just replace my data.zip file with his, will all his mods work on my unit(f90bt)? it can be found here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked around and have not been able to find any clear info for doing these data.zip based updates. I just got my unit and it has ver 2.0 already installed. Do I do the 2.0 firmware install with modified files or is there a way to leverage a partial data.zip with the testmode folder method.

I am just not all too clear on what I would do. If someone can direct me to a post that runs through this (I went vigilantly through the FAQ threads and links) mute button process for an install on a system with 2.0 already installed, it would be appreciated.

If I need to do the entire firmware update, do I need to do the bluetooth update and/or have to reimport my contacts?

Thanks in advance,

Ceger

I have looked around and have not been able to find any clear info for doing these data.zip based updates. I just got my unit and it has ver 2.0 already installed. Do I do the 2.0 firmware install with modified files or is there a way to leverage a partial data.zip with the testmode folder method.

I am just not all too clear on what I would do. If someone can direct me to a post that runs through this (I went vigilantly through the FAQ threads and links) mute button process for an install on a system with 2.0 already installed, it would be appreciated.

If I need to do the entire firmware update, do I need to do the bluetooth update and/or have to reimport my contacts?

Thanks in advance,

Ceger

Got it. This thread was very helpful. Thanks CatchMeIfYouCan631! ;)

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18068&start=5

Ceger