AVIC411.com

F90BT Ipod Cable Issue

My IPOD 80gb all of a sudden will not work on bootup of the F90 whereas it would work for a week at a time. Once it stops working, it will CONSTANTLY not work at bootup. I'll have to unplug and re-plug the cable and it pisses me off to no end. I am amazed that pioneer was able to release this product to the public.

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

I switched out my Pioneer cable for the Apple cable, it's only been a couple of days but it hasn't cut out once yet. Along with my new phone, everything works together perfectly now.

My 30GB 5G iPod Video drops half the time upon bootup. What kind of 80GB iPod do you have Brad?

On a side note, I used my brother's 80GB iPod CLASSIC on my Pioneer the other night and it never dropped once. Ever. Here's what I did. I hooked the iPod up to the Pioneer and started the car (Put it on ACC to be exact) and let the Pioneer boot to where I could see if it dropped the iPod or not. Then I shut the car off and let everything sit for about 15 seconds or so. I did this 15 times for each iPod. Out of 15 times, it dropped my 30GB 5G iPod video 8 of those times. Out of the 15 times on my brothers 80GB classic (Filled with 60GB of music/movies), the Pioneer NEVER once dropped the iPod. So I will be buying an iPod Classic 120GB soon.

My IPOD 80gb all of a sudden will not work on bootup of the F90 whereas it would work for a week at a time. Once it stops working, it will CONSTANTLY not work at bootup. I'll have to unplug and re-plug the cable and it pisses me off to no end. I am amazed that pioneer was able to release this product to the public.

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

No I don't have anything positive to say about this product, and it wasn't the cable. The IPOD will not initialize about 99 percent of the time on my system with the SD card inserted.

Like I said before, this is a problems/troubleshooting forum. Don't read it if you don't like people complaining about problems constantly.

I still think this product is inferior and I will do everything in my power to stop as many people from buying it as possible.

Inferior product? with 2.0 update the f series blows anything else i've seen out of the water.

If you hate it so much why not get rid of it? Im sure ebay, amazon etc will sell no problem now. Unless of course its really not that bad and your just grumpy.

Ever think of trying a different ipod? Perhaps just leaving it unplugged and plug it in when you use it?

I remember the one time I had issues getting my iphone to connect via the cable, it was the iphone not the pioneer unit, I had to simply do a restart on the iphone, here I thought my Pioneer went bad or something, so I restarted it saying uh wtf? Who would of thought it was the iphone and not the pioneer head unit?

You didn't even say what you've tried to fix it, did you try another ipod and see if it does the exact same thing? if not, try that, perhaps you may be surprised.

I have no doubt there are differences between the dozen or so models of ipods on the market right now, so to expect something as complicated as the f series working absolutely perfect with every single ipod model all the time, with every f series unit, uh its not possible.

Instead of being a hater, and venting your frustrating constantly, why not uh try fixing the problem? Barrow a friends ipod, see if it does the same thing. if it doesn't now you know its unique to your ipods interface.

try reloading/restroign the software, try a ipod branded cable, do a factory reset on the unit by the reset button and reloading the default language.

Never know, this "inferior" state of the art product, maybe just work after all, for you and not just most everyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

I am experiencing this problem as well. I thought I was in the minority, figuratively and physically :lol:, I am glad others are experiencing this issues as well. I thought it was my iPod, since I purchase a refurn off eBay, so I had it replaced, that was not the case. I still experienced a drop maybe once or twice a day but nothing a little reaching into the glove box didn't fix. Today I come to realize the iPod cable is no longer working at all. I went to BestBuy and bought a brand new iPod just to cross the iPod off the list of potential problems and the unit did not detect the brand new iPod. Now, I am glad to see that the ultimate fix is the Apple Composite A/VCable so I just purchased it online from BestBuy, i'm about to go pick it up now. had another Pioneer iPod cable here so I figured I would take my dash apart and put on the new one but I won't even bother, i'll just use the Apple cable. Hopefully, that fixes the issues.

I bought the Apple composite cable and for me it has actually been worse. It still drops the connection. It used to happen with the pioneer cable but it has been happening a lot more with the apple cable.

I am considering putting the pioneer cable back in and just wait for the next update.

Dave

Well the Pioneer F series has finally turned me over to the dark side.

After purchasing an off brand iPod composite cable from Wal-mart the unit still did not recognize the ipod.

I went to Best Buy and purchased an authentic Apple composite cable and the unit did not detect the ipod.

I ordered another iPod cable from Pioneer and the unit still did not detect the iPod.

I bought a brand new iPod and the unit did not detect the iPod.

I tried a basic thumb drive with some music loaded, it did not detect the device.

So I called up Squaretrade for a warranty repair, I have an F90 bought off eBay brand new since Pioneer won't service an item purchased off eBay, so I took it to my place of business Circuit City.

I take the unit apart, we are an authorized Pioneer facility, to detect that the circuit board that the USB cable is attached to is dead; there is no connectivity and no voltage on the board at all. The main circuit board the cable is attached to direct cost is $800; might as well replace the entire unit.

Well that means a couple of things, I can send the unit off to Pioneer and have Squaretrade cover the repair but I nay be without a head unit for about a month or cash out the warranty and take the $889 that I paid for the unit and purchase something else.

I opted to do the latter. This is the 3rd F90 that I have had due to the pre-amp failing and now the USB cable has no connectivity and no power. All other features work fine but seeing as how my iPod is the only source of music I listen to it is a much larger problem.

Squaretrade reimbursed me the $889 today and I purchased the Kenwood DNX7120 w/ BT kit for $800. I'll purchase the warranty again from Squaretrade.

Pioneer has driven me to the dark side.