AVIC411.com

Another way to speed up the system, cut down load times...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could this be comparble to keeping your registry clean on a usual Win OS. Especially on old startup files that no longer exist, but the OS still trys to load, search for something, or just cache usage?

Du-No...

Well, to some degree. If you have startup entries in the registry referring to programs that are no longer present, it might try running them, will find that the file does not exist, and keep on its way. With AVIC using a solid state flash drive and all files being in specified directories (no need ot search for them all over), even if it were trying to load that data, your time savings would be minimal.

You'd get much better results from cleaning up UI files and removing states and elements that are never used... At least those do have to be parsed on startup...

I am going to look all of the files over in the unit itself and make sure that none of these files, namely the voice files, are present. I would imagine the french and the spanish would be in the unit. If this were the case, these files would not be loaded at startup, freeing up some memory for other things. I really did feel more responsiveness to the unit when it came to button presses and map drawing. The startup was merely speculation.

On another note, it seems as if, with the newest update(2.0) that Pioneer plans to add a lot of voices to the unit. Go into the update zip, specifically to: LPUE080/APL2/iGo/ScanSoft/RealSpeakSolo/speech/components and you will see another 16 files(names) listed besides Samantha. Whether or not these are already in the unit, I do not know, but if they are... it opens up the opportunity to use them. The files are quite large and are listed as .dat and have .dll files attached to them.

Now whether or not these are just worldwide voices that arent cleaned up for the US unit, i have no idea. If not, it looks very promising.

Those files were there in a previous firmware as well...

Are they used? Or are they just extra bloatware that was never edited out by the Pioneer coders? I am trying to understand this system and what is used and not, in order to make a cleaner install and ultimately get everything running faster.

I very much doubt that they are used (there are no corresponding configuration files in CONTENT\SPEECH. They look like default voices from RealSpeak Solo distribution.

Most likely they can be cleaned out with no ill effect, and we'd gain a few megabytes of free flash space...

Ok, I did this mod waiting to verify that this would actually not make any difference, WELL, I WAS TOTALLY WRONG.

After verifying that all the mentioned EU files are not in my US unit, i proceeded to delete all the lines referring to European files, I even deleted the line referencing the klavica font since it is not present on the iGo folder anywhere.

After restarting, Boot up time IS THE SAME as expected. However, the Redrawing of the map is quite faster, i Zoom in/out using the knob and it does zoom faster/smoother. So, i'm happy i did this mod, i'm pretty sure i'm not seeing things :shock:

NOTE: I'm pretty sure that other clean ups mods can be done to improve the performance, i own iGO8 on my PDA running only 64mb in ram (only 23mb free at the moment i open iGO) sporting a ARM processor 400mhz, Our unit have a 600mhz ARM processor and 200+MB in RAM, and the PDA runs igo almost twice as fast, 3d redrawing is much faster, keypress, menues, etc. So, there is no reason for our AVIC to run any slower than that. well another point in favor to the PDA, it only has to drive a 230x320 pixels screen instead of a 800x480 one on the avic. but still i thing it can be improved

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps it comes down to the combination of mods, I don't know but this mod screwed up my unit (until I relashed). Actually, it was either this one or the one where you erase the sound clips - I did them both at once.

It runs, but it is slower to boot, draw-in time is worse (reported here as faster), button responsiveness is worse, and caller ID now shows as "unknow" even when they are in the phone book.

Then again it could be my new phone (BB Storm)....I don't really know...too many variables at once. I'll eliminate them one by one this weekend and try to figure it out.