AVIC411.com

Avoid the F700 at all costs... really

Dear gdiviney,

I fully understand your frustration after having invested in my F900BT and even paying triple for the EU version of what it costs in the US.

Having used many kenwood models and on phone navigation systems I can tell that this new attempt from pioneer is a failed one unlike they advertise it as the best in car entertainment system.

Since I can't afford an Alpine nor I can return my unit since I've taken it overseas, the only option was to find out how I can get my unit to perform best.

Here's a few items you can try. They worked for me.

1- Disable the back camera option

2- Disable the satnav automatic time update option

3- If you don't have any ipod or av source attached select "None" as AV1 and 2 options.

4- Select a preset color for the base color choice.

Before done these my unit was coming on after 3-4 minutes but now I get sound only after 20 seconds.

Good luck.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man there are a lot of fanboys on this site... of course, this is an AVIC site... :D

My objective was simple: Make it so that anyone doing research on a radio would know that the F700BT will likely not be the bargain they were looking for. Pioneer made a terrible product. Simple as that.

WilliamG, since you apparently didn't read all of my post, i clearly said: "I have done all the upgrades on the unit." ...and then you go on to admit that I'm right... so, really, stfu.

-g

g,

I love a good rant as much as the next person in line, but to be a good rant, you need to have a consistent point of reference.

You started with a rant all about "first impressions" and you complain about the slow boot times, but you never reference that they're no longer an issue, with 2.0 I get FM within 15 seconds, and my iPod is playing within in 30. You can't compare version 1.x software with v2.0 when Pioneer has made tremendous usability strides in resolving a lot for the issues for the users. You just can't rant about version 1.x software in a 2.x world without referencing the changes and how they affected your v1.x issues and expect people to be even somewhat sympathetic.

You go on about there's "no way to reset the unit" yet there's an inset reset button right there on the front, that's in the 'fine manual'

You go on about how much of a POS it is for running 'MS Windows" well, Windows is a broad term, and while it does run a version of WinCE for it's core, that's also one of the reasons so many are able to hack and modify it to do some amazing things, that wouldn't be possible if it was a closed and proprietary OS. In fact the core OS is built on the same toolkit that MS used to build the Sync system they're using in Ford vehicles, there are benefits to not rewriting your OS for every device, but buying your embedded OS off the shelf. Does this OS have any relation to the Microsoft product you run on your desktop? almost none.. the embedded world is very different. The fact that it's hackable? pure plus in my book.

Do most of the folks here agree that the initial software release had serious issues? heck yes, Do the majority feel that 2.0 makes the hardware finally live up to its potential? mostly, yes.

Yes, you're in a pro-Pioneer forum, but there are plenty of folks that agree, 1.x was horrendous, but to go off on a half-baked rant about how horrible a unit is on software that has been replaced by a much better version isn't really going to get much respect.

Diane

Does this OS have any relation to the Microsoft product you run on your desktop? almost none.. the embedded world is very different.

ne

Everybody keeps talking about what a POS MS Windows is, and I agree, however, I'd like to build upon the statement dianebrat made about integrated OS's. Windows on your desktop and windows in your Pioneer have almost no relation. WindowsCE was built with the understanding that it will be running on a device with low processing power. Because of that, everything has to be reworked in order to fit this new profile. If you want to rant about how much windows sucks then this isn't the place, because your desktop experiences have almost no relation to the CE environment.

for what I have read in this forums one of the selling points of this units is being able to hack and modify them so you and your, and I quote " a computer and car-stereo expert of 15-plus years.

should be extactic that you can booth up on test mode on this units and change everything you don't like, unlike any other in navigation unit in the market,

I love my Avic and if I had 15-plus years as a computer expert I would love them even more.

and if I was a "car stereo expert for 15-plus years" I would have installed my stereo myself, but I am not a "car stereo expert for 15-plus years" and I still installed my stereo myself.

Let me just state, with finality, that:

- This unit is not defective

- This unit is running the latest version of the firmware

- This unit has been timed to not produce sound from the SD card in less than 50 seconds

- This unit is not done loading all features, including the bluetooth connectivity, in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds

- All the critiques in the initial post are accurate, observable, and repeatable

- Having a reset button that you must push with the tip of a pen is not the same thing as having an "off" button

If you don't like my writing style; Fine. If you don't think that these issues or the other issues I wrote about are serious problems; Fine. If your unit behaves differently/better because you have configured it differently; thanks for the tips, I will give those things a shot. If your unit behaves differently/better because it's not the same unit, there is nothing I can really say about it.

My problem is that this unit is exactly as I have described it, and I believe it is about as good as it's going to get (short of some miracle patch). That being said, if I had known how bad this thing was going to be, I would have bought a decent bluetooth speakerphone, a tom-tom, and just left the factory unit alone.

My only desire, as I have stated, was to make sure any prospective buyer makes an informed decision before buying this unit. If you take that personally, I can't help it...

I'm sorry that you don't like it. I'm really happy with my unit so far. I don't have a problem with load times. I don't expect it to be instantaneous , but I am expecting it to get faster with future updates. As of right now I'm content. I guess each person has different expectations.

For potential buyers..

Don't worry.. for every 1 person complaining about the f-series,

there are about 10 other people who are happy with their purchase.

- This unit has been timed to not produce sound from the SD card in less than 50 seconds

- This unit is not done loading all features, including the bluetooth connectivity, in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds

- All the critiques in the initial post are accurate, observable, and repeatable

- Having a reset button that you must push with the tip of a pen is not the same thing as having an "off" button

-g

You just keep changing what you're saying, and that's the beef I have with your posting style.

You complain about the slow boot times to get music, and then after people disagree saying " We get music xxx fast" you change that to "unit is not done loading everything until after 90 seconds"

You say you can't reset the unit, and then decide a reset button isn't good enough after it's mentioned, you want an off button.

This is clearly not the right unit for you or your needs, it is the right unit for many of us, and many people, your "warning" is lost in the constant changing of what you view as important.

I hope you find the unit that does what you want, we should all enjoy what we use daily, I know I enjoy my F700BT every day considering the horrible JVC unit it replaced.

Diane

If you don't like my writing style; Fine. If you don't think that these issues or the other issues I wrote about are serious problems; Fine. If your unit behaves differently/better because you have configured it differently; thanks for the tips, I will give those things a shot. If your unit behaves differently/better because it's not the same unit, there is nothing I can really say about it.

My problem is that this unit is exactly as I have described it, and I believe it is about as good as it's going to get (short of some miracle patch). That being said, if I had known how bad this thing was going to be, I would have bought a decent bluetooth speakerphone, a tom-tom, and just left the factory unit alone.

My only desire, as I have stated, was to make sure any prospective buyer makes an informed decision before buying this unit. If you take that personally, I can't help it...

To everybody trying to defend the F700: You know he's right. The thing is obnoxiously slow to start up and the SD card interface is less than perfect. Some phones don't work well, and there are a bunch of other little annoyances he hasn't even mentioned.

That said, I feel that the features and benefits of having the unit far outweigh the problems, but that's a completely subjective thing. If he's expecting it to work the same as a CD/FM only deck rather than a navigation/media center unit then yeah, it's probably not for him.

Bullshit, bullshit bullshit.... for all of you saying that all your features work after 1min 30sec plus..... bullshit. I have a 700 an I know it is not perfect but I think the features overweigh the problems and if you are not hacking it you are just waisting your time too. I have full functionality in 40 secs or less, phone, ipod, sd, nav, all!!!!! So all of you that are unhappy with the unit just sell it and buy another brand. You can state the problems that it has in this site to warn potential buyers (like we have done for at least 5 months now) but what really pisses me off is people just saying bullshit about the unit and exagerating the problems that it has. My unit works fine and I love it, I repeat, its not perfect but in this world nothing really is.

- This unit is not done loading all features, including the bluetooth .....

Everyone knows there are not the exact same two consumer products made out there, even paried Memory is off a bit, there are no two Gummy Bears that are identicle, and there are not two pairs of pants that fit the same.

Your argument is so bias that it unreal. Unless you've owned 2-700's and compared them, or have alot of history with Ivarious in-Dash Nav. systems you are 100% in the wrong to go on this crusade to help the little people out there.

You are left with just trying to make yourself feel better for the (in your eyes) crap pruchase you just made.

gdiviney, also "Never flame forums and If you do never use the same screen name for every forum you go to." Google says you have issues! :oops:

I get no disconnections when I turn my car on via my phone, and turning the car off does NOT disconnect my call.

I think its phone-dependant. My EnV has worked really well until I tried shutting the car off in the middle of a call and the unit terminated it. I guess you can't win them all.

If there are any doubters here, behold the power of the suck:

F800BT_sucks.jpg

This message appeared today after I had to reset the unit when it, once again, refused to play music off of the SD card. I waited the customary two minutes to ensure that it was done screwing around with itself, pushed the reset button, and this is the result.

The unit is effectively dead. It will not accept a reapplication of the latest patch, which I had hoped would overwrite whatever was causing this. It will do nothing other than boot, show this message, then reboot.

This unit is a POS. End of story.