AVIC411.com

ok wierd problem... with Ipod or Avic??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nene

i had the same issue pulled my radio out (with it playing iPod) wiggled the pioneer ipod cable where it connects to the f-series rca plugs and it started working, i then electrical tapped the male an female RCA plugs together. it was connected properly it just seems as though the pioneer ipod cable actually is crap. I did this about 2 to 3 weeks ago, and posted my solution in another post and i haven't had any trouble since. I actually just returned from a 16 hour round trip vacation and it didn't act up at all. Before i messed with the cables i couldn't go more than a song without the right side cutting out. Good luck with yours

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I can't have the unit on when I try to remove it from the dash in my car because the air bag computer is right below it and if I don't unplug the battery before unplugging the air bag computer, the stealership will have to reset it at a price of $100. I did tape my RCA connections for the ipod together but it still is no go =(. it kinda sucks because the sound coming from the right side will decrease randomly. I just don't want tto spend another $50 dollars for a cable that should be working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

SO I have been experiencing the same type of issues described in this thread, my left channel fades in and out when hitting bumps, accelerating/decelerating, or change in cabin temperatures. This is while listening to the iPod only! I found that wiggling the RCA harness would fade the channel in and out. I've read on the forum that it's probably a faulty RCA harness, so I called Pioneer in hopes of being able to exchange it for a new harnes. However, the tech stated that most likely it is not the harness but an actual break in the solder joint where the connector and the main board meet inside the unit, and that I should attempt an exchange or send it in for warranty repair. He also stated this is a common issue with these units. So just giving you guys a heads up....

Same sob story....new harness bought and installed, same result. My truck has been to the audio shop 3 times now and nothing changes. Has anyone tried stripping the RCA jackets and hard splicing the wiring???

It's not the harness! It's the plug the harness plugs into on the deck. The solder joints where the pins for the connector meet the board are broken. It needs a repair...

I'm getting conflicting information here. I'm having the same issue with my iPod. Right side of the car just goes really low at times only with the iPod - other sources are just fine. Pulled the deck out and taped the left and right RCAs together. Seems to be working OK now, but I'm wondering if those RCAs are the issue or if it's something inside the unit? Some of you say it's the RCAs, and others say it's IN the AVIC itself.. so which is it?

You'll have to do a bit of troubleshooting. Get the harness and RCA connections in an arrangement that u can wiggle them around and see where the short is. At first I had a short at the point where the RCA's connect, come to find out I had a bad AV/charge cable from Apple, but I exchanged the iPod cable at the Apple store. However, about a month down the road I started to get faint volume levels out of the left channel. I went back to the RCA connection this time only to find out that was not where it was occuring. If I got directly behind the deck and lifted the entire RCA harness up and down a bit. It would fade in and out. Also, when that channel would fade out, I would get what sounded like ground noise throughout the system. This, combined with the information from Pioneer led me to the conclusion that it was in the connector. There is still a slight chance that it could be the harness at the plug, so before I send my unit off for repair I will use a multimeter to measure ohms and test each pin while wiggling the harness to ensure that's not where the short is. But it must be a common problem as the Pioneer rep was so quick to cut off my explanation of the isue and tell me it was the solder points at that connector. You'll just have to do a bit of troubleshooting to make that determination.

Thanks for this reply. I hope I can figure this out before my 3.0 update arrives from Pioneer. Would hate to update the unit and then have to have it replaced. Will also be annoying having a gaping hole in my dash for several weeks (maybe longer?) while they fix it...

Mine started also. The left channel not working. I plug and unpluf the ipod (3rd gen) and it works but then, it cuts off even when the car if not moving! No bumps, no movement in the unit and it does so. If it is a loose connector, wouldn't cut off because of some "movement" disrupted the connection?

Mine started also. The left channel not working. I plug and unpluf the ipod (3rd gen) and it works but then, it cuts off even when the car if not moving! No bumps, no movement in the unit and it does so. If it is a loose connector, wouldn't cut off because of some "movement" disrupted the connection?

I seriously have no idea. This AVIC is nothing but trouble..

• 1 month later...
I taped up my RCAs, which worked for about 3 weeks, and then the sound went out again in the right channels. I ended up exchanging my unit under warranty a few weeks ago, and haven't had the issue again (yet...). We'll see how it goes...

Thanks for reporting back. Sucks that Pioneer can't speculate (TO US) any better why this keeps happening. A problem this common can't possibly have 2 equally common sources.