AVIC411.com

AVIC Z110BT Bypass?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What scares me most about the people who have this much trouble doing such a simple procedure is that they are doing it so they can watch video while they are driving.

Yeah it is pretty scary if you look at it that way.

What scares me most about the people who have this much trouble doing such a simple procedure is that they are doing it so they can watch video while they are driving.

<<>>

It's nice to know there are such friendly and supportive people on this board. Glad I came here....

Seriously folks, I started off my post with the fact that I am no car audio expert, and was seeking help in understanding how to make the bypass work.

I watched the video that hairfullofmetal suggested and that cleared things up completely for me. I now understand.

It should be stated, for dopes like me, that the end results is to ground the empty slot (don't know the pin location#) next to the yellow/black mute wire.

Like VBlue said... acquire the cable/wire... and do the bypass as mentioned in these forums...

We all, would love to help you out... But with your issues.... nobody can help you out other than yourself....

You COULD solder your own wire to that pin... but we don't know that you're capable of that.... You COULD also find a Pioneer wiring harness on the webz.... again...we have no idea if you're capable of it....

The instructions have been laid out... it's up to you to figure out how you're going to accomplish it....

It's as easy as bringing a ground to that certain pin... how you go about it????? That's in your corner...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am a newbie who installed the AVICX-920BT in my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid, and everything works well including the bypass. However, I have a question - where is the Speed sensor wire - the pink wire on the AVIC is supposed to be connected to the speed sensor. I actually used a harness from Scosche to first connect to the vehicle harness and then connected the AVIC to the Scosche harness. It does have a pink wire - is this the speed sensor?

Thanks.

Yes..The pink wire coming from the Pioneer harness is the connection spot to tap into your VSS wire in the car, however, the location and color of the VSS wire for everyone's car is different. I have a '98 Toyota 4-Runner, and mine was a green/orange wire located behind my glovebox way up underneath the dashboard on a 22-pin connector. Not the easiest wire to get to and it took several calls to Crutchfield Tech Support to help me find it. To boot, it was snake-bundled in electrical tape inside plastic flex tubing, so had to do some work just to free up enough of the bundle to work with the VSS wire.

The VSS wire is normally part of a gang bundle pin connector plugged into the main computer of the car. It sends a voltage pulse back to the instruments (Speedometer) and/or ABS controllers in your vehicle and translates the rotation speed of your tires. In the case of the "Z" and "X" head units with Navigation, it used to be that this wire connection for the head unit was not a necessity, but with the newer NAV units from Pioneer, that has changed. If you don't connect it, you will receive some error outputs from the head unit on the NAV module, and it will not translate proper speed outputs for arrival times or compensate for NAV movement if you lose satellite signal (Bridge/Tunnel).

In my case, once the wire was finally located, the obvious problem at that point was that I clearly couldn't connect the the pink wire to it because its only 6" long. I opted to do the bypass for the DVD video so I cut the green parking break wire since I didn't need all of it. I took the spare green wire and crimped it to the short pink wire...ran the wire to where I needed it and used the "red" tap connector already on the green wire to connect it to the speed sensor wire.

**Note - Once I could get a good grip on the green/orange VSS Wire, I CAREFULLY used a blade to remove some of the wire sheath on the VSS wire so it would make a good clean tap.

What I recommend you do is contact your Dealer to help you find the location of the VSS wire in your car so you know what your doing before you do anything. They have schematics and can give you the exact location and color. At that point, you can make your own decisions as to whether or not you wanna try and attempt it yourself or pay someone to make the connection for you. You also may be faced with the fact that the "pink" wire is too short to reach and you will need some spare low-voltage wire to extend the pink wire itself. In the beginning, I actually considered paying an installer to make this connection, but when I knew where I had to go and if I had the ability, it wasn't a hard connection to make in the end.

The pink wire for me did not attach to the factory harness for my truck, but is a direct connection to the VSS wire. Good luck!!

Peace ~ HFoM

HFoM,

Thanks for the info and tips - yes the pink wire is too short, so I will need to extend it. I do have the parking brake bypass (green wire) left from the portion I cut so I will follow your suggestion. Do you know offhand if the color and location of the VSS wire changes for same car model? I managed to find the color and location for the 7th generation Civic (mine is 8th gen.) from another forum, and can use it if the location/color are the same. Thanks again.

VK26Y,

I do not know if that is the case in your vehicle, especially when you are talking about "generations". I just told Crutchfield that it was a '98 Toyota 4Runner. He didn't follow that up with "Do you know what generation it is?" :).... I wish I could tell you yes or no, so my only suggestion is to be absolutely sure before you commit to tapping it. My gut tells me that you are probably fine as long as the color and location on the pin connector are the same. Highly doubtful Honda made major changes to that as the manufacturing generations went up. BUT I would rather be safe than sorry. I am sure if you call your local Honda Dealer parts/service desk, they have all those schematics in their system and can confirm or deny. Would be a total pain in the ass to tap into it, and find out afterwards that you got the wrong wire.

I will say this though, you know you got it right if you go into "Settings/Navi Settings/Connection Status" and as you start moving, you will see the Speed Pulse Indicator Bar & Pulse Count start going up. I do not know what its like for every vehicle, but my numbers went up like this:

The Speed Pulse number fluctuates as you accelerate or decelerate, so I am using ranges here..

5-10 mph = 0-1 SP

15-30 mph = 2-3 SP

35-40 mph = 4-8 SP

45-65 mph = 9-13 SP

I just want you to feel "okay" about what you are seeing once you get it all hooked up. I confirmed that these SP numbers are in the range of what you would normally see based on the feedback from the car. After that, The Speed Pulse Count for the Navi 3D Calibration Status will being to tally properly too. If you have any more questions..don't hesitate to ask..I'll help as much as I can. Love to hear about your outcome!! Good Luck!! :)

Peace ~ HFoM

• 2 months later...

So I finally got this bypass to work tonight, however now my sub for some reason doesn't work. It worked before messing with the bypass, but now it doesn't. I have an 06 Mustang w/ the stock speakers 2 front and rear and a sub in the trunk, all part of the shaker 1000 setup. Anyone know what I might have done? I have an audio input red/white plugged into a red/white wire labled RSE and then the sub woofer output plugged in as well. Any ideas?