AVIC411.com

3.0 Retail, Official, Legit install experience

I had similar experience as everyone else...only needed 1 retry and it went smooth. I don't think much has changed besided the new version of CE and the maps. The navigation speed is faster thanks to the new version of CE and the signs for highway driving are nice thanks to the new maps. But everything else seems to be the same. The unreliable connection to iPOD still hasn't been fixed and I have noticed that the playback with the SD card seems to be worse. If I turn on the random feature, then it takes forever to switch songs. The interface for the SD music/video is still crappy

Hopefully Pioneer will actually fix some of their software defects in the next release.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person having trouble entering testmode since doing the upgrade? I did the legit upgrade and it went smoothly. I'm in agreement about the screen being more responsive, and generally I'm happy with it. But it wiped out my software modification to eliminate the parking-brake warning, and I wanted to restore that. I've tried two different SD Cards with the test mode files on them, and when I boot, it just ignores the cards and boots as normal. Is there a way to force it to boot from the SD card? (Just turning on the power with the testmode SD card in the slot was enough to make it boot into testmode before the upgrade.)

Well, I solved my own problem. I guess I was using the outdated version of test mode (Downloaded from the links on the FAQ page in the Hacks/Mods section.) I found this link to Test Mode 2.6:

http://avic411.com/forum/download/file.php?id=7376

and using that version of test mode worked.

I waited for 2 months for my official, legit copy to arrive. It arrived on a Friday and I had to wait until Tuesday for the server in Japan to come up to build my password. I attempted the install and SD 1 went on without a problem. SD 2 got hung up at about the 3% updating point. Retry errors. I took car to local Pioneer dealor that installed my BT90. My unit was hosed and only option was to send it off to be reloaded. Local dealors are not allowed the CD to reflash the unit. I am now 1.5 weeks with an empty hole where my stereo used to be. :cry:

I gave up on the retrys after about 50 times. Pioneer dealor gave up after a few hours as well.

Well I finally found a flaw in the upgrade.

Things were going great until yesterday morning. I started the car and music started right away. Then the screen went black. The music continued and I could change source via the steering wheel, but no touch screen. I got to work and at the end of the day, it started up normally without a problem.

Then, this morning, the same thing happened. But this time after 10 minutes, the screen came back on, but without the top line of options. No back button or anything. The map and home buttons didn't work either. Again, I could change sources and stations.

Once I got back in the car at the end of the day, it started up fine again. Hopefully this isn't a recurring issue. :|

Things were going great until yesterday morning. I started the car and music started right away. Then the screen went black. The music continued and I could change source via the steering wheel, but no touch screen. I got to work and at the end of the day, it started up normally without a problem.

Then, this morning, the same thing happened. But this time after 10 minutes, the screen came back on, but without the top line of options. No back button or anything. The map and home buttons didn't work either. Again, I could change sources and stations.

Once I got back in the car at the end of the day, it started up fine again. Hopefully this isn't a recurring issue. :|

same here

I had an interesting upgrade experience.. My stock F900BT died a few days ago, before I was able to install the 3.0 update. It would start and show my splash screen, then go to black.. Since I didn't want to pull the unit and send it in, I decided it was already broke and I couldn't make it any worse. I grabbed the 3.0 disks and set aside some time and went for a install.

An hour and a half later, it was back to life. It did stick and request a retry at 99%, but other than that it was smooth. It definately got me out of a jam!.

Is it just me or is it sad how most posts are about how the update doesn't work, or needs to be run a few times to work? You would expect reviews for a major upgrade to be favorable and raving about how great the improvements are, not merely "my buttons respond faster". Not knocking on the reviewers, rather the product. They could improve so much on this thing and yet the results are minimal.

same here

Ditto. I get the same results sometimes. Its random, and it could be 1 of 3 outcomes.

• [*:28t4qv46]Runs normally
    [*:28t4qv46]Starts up, goes back to splash, then to navigation menu. Touching where the back button is usually fixes it.
    [*:28t4qv46]Blank screen, which then can evenutally lead to a radio screen with no title bar, and external buttons don't work.

In general, I will say I'm kinda bummed at how slow 3.0 is compared to 2.0. The map doesn't load as quickly, doesn't run as smoothly, and the routes don't calculate nearly as fast. As a whole, the 2.0 firmware seemed to be "lighter weight". I do like the improved button response and significantly better looking and functioning maps though (which is likely why the new firmware runs slower). And the new MSN Direct Traffic Flow makes the unit invaluable compared to many other gps systems on the market.

• 3 weeks later...

i upgraded my non modded (do have parking brake hardware hack) F700bt to 3.0 the other day. The install went off without a hitch. However, I have noticed one extremely annoying thing, the time won't stay set properly I live in Oregon and have read elsewhere on these forums about the timezone bug; but I am not sure that particular problem applies in this case. I have set the timezone to Pacific standard (non auto correct) and it shows the correct time, but the actual displayed time on the clock after I exit the time settings menu is one hour ahead. Has any one else experienced this? Is there a fix? Is it possible that the system time in the BIOS of the unit could be off now? Is there a way to set system time independent of the interface?

Mods please move this if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

• 2 weeks later...
as crappy as this unit is, when compared to Kenwood Nav units and as much problems as this POS system is, I can't believe Pioneer has the f'n balls to charge us for it... :?

Geez, you just sound like a hater. NO clue what your issue is, but I happen to think this unit is pretty damn good now. If you hate it THAT MUCH, then sell it, throw it off a bridge and move on with your life, christ man. Is this in dash navigation unit really the biggest thing going on in your life? If so, I would suggest you go get one. Geesh.

Is it just me or is it sad how most posts are about how the update doesn't work, or needs to be run a few times to work? You would expect reviews for a major upgrade to be favorable and raving about how great the improvements are, not merely "my buttons respond faster". Not knocking on the reviewers, rather the product. They could improve so much on this thing and yet the results are minimal.

Who is going to jump on a site and say yaaay this is wonderful? 1 out of 100, how many will jump on this site to say WTF this unit sucks donky balls! 50/100 ? So yeah there you go.

I think the upate was worth it, its a big improvement, and well maybe thats just me? I am guessing those who like it are out using it, thats the way life works typically. Yep.