AVIC411.com

Anyone have a 100% fix for the Ipod right channel issue

I'm actually using the internal amp to drive all 4 of my speakers (except subs, of course) and I'm having the issue. Hopefully that may indicate that it may be just the cheap cable that Pioneer included. I would still think that the RCA harness connector at the head could still be suspect even if people are using the internal amp.

Cheapest/easiest solution is to try a cable first. Hopefully that takes care of it for me as well.

TRU

For all those replacing the cable, remember, you're going to be moving the position of that plug more than likely as you're replacing the cable. There is the possibility that while replacing it you'll be arranging it in a position that the short (or better yet, open) isn't apparent anymore. Make sure to take your old cable in to your home Av setup and run the Rca's to your setup to ensure you have a bad channel on that cable. This will help to prove it. Some of you may be lucky in that it is the cable, but I've got a feeling later on as the harness settles from the vibrating and moving about in the car, the problem may arise again. When I had this issue i'd take the deck out, pull the harness upwards then put it back in. That'd keep the sound good for about a month then it'd need to be arranged again...

The problem here is everyone wants a cookie cutter "this always fixes it" response without doing any actual troubleshooting. free_refil and I are saying the same basic thing "it's not cut and dry"

With this issue, there are at least a 1/2 dozen common causes, some more common then others.

I'm sure some are bad cables, others are bad ipod-side dock connections, some are bad Pioneer wiring harnesses, and of course the hardest to fix are the internal Pioneer harness header pin solder joints.

As I said early in this and other threads, there are a lot of reasons, and some actual work needs to be done to properly resolve it, no one will magically resolve it over the web.

Wow ... I didn't realize this was a common issue. :oops:

I replaced the iPod cable with another Pioneer one and it corrected the problem for me.

I've often wondered if the cable was also at fault for the Pioneer unit dropping the iPod.

It has been much better for that since the replacement, but it does still drop it occassionally.

I am now going in search of Apple cables to see if this will help.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow ... I didn't realize this was a common issue. :oops:

I replaced the iPod cable with another Pioneer one and it corrected the problem for me.

I've often wondered if the cable was also at fault for the Pioneer unit dropping the iPod.

It has been much better for that since the replacement, but it does still drop it occassionally.

I am now going in search of Apple cables to see if this will help.

i just noticed that my right speaker with the ipod is a lot lower, i am going to try buying the apple one.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue with left channel I changed the cable it worked for about 2 weeks. I checked everything the only thing that would fix it is unpluging the usb connection and reconnecting it. This only worked for a short time and then i would loose the left again. I finally reinstalled everything on the Ipod with Itunes and have not had a problem for months.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've posted this response on other threads here cause many people are having this problem: .....I've seen alot of explanations for this prob, as I had it myself. I took my unit out of the dash a couple of times, twisted the RCA connections and it fixed the prob. Catch is, it will happen again. I have the Pioneer cable going to my Nano. Reluctantly, I finally soldered the RCA connections and it's been working flawlessly ever since. It was a major pain, but worth it. You would think Pioneer would do a better job with their cables....... Hopefully the guys who have replaced their cables will be good, sucks pulling the unit out of the dash.

• 1 month later...

I have been attempting to troubleshoot my problem of losing the left channel on my iPod.

Firstly, I replaced the cable with another Panasonic cable. That worked for about 2 days. Then I found that by disconnectimg and reconnecting the USB cable, the channel would return, for a while.

However, if I use a USB stick plugged into the USB cable, it works flawlessly, the whole time. I reinstalled everything on the iPod (as suggested above), but that made no difference.

Does that mean that my problem is with the iPod connector on my (new) cable? The USB cable itself seems to work fine for everything that isn't an iPod. Does it rule out my problem being with the RCA connectors on the rear of the unit?

I have been attempting to troubleshoot my problem of losing the left channel on my iPod.

Firstly, I replaced the cable with another Panasonic cable. That worked for about 2 days. Then I found that by disconnectimg and reconnecting the USB cable, the channel would return, for a while.

However, if I use a USB stick plugged into the USB cable, it works flawlessly, the whole time. I reinstalled everything on the iPod (as suggested above), but that made no difference.

Does that mean that my problem is with the iPod connector on my (new) cable? The USB cable itself seems to work fine for everything that isn't an iPod. Does it rule out my problem being with the RCA connectors on the rear of the unit?

ONLY the ipod splits USB and RCA, anything just plugged into USB uses only USB and a bad analog connection would not affect it.

You need to go back and troubleshoot the ipod as everyone suggests, the only thing "USB plays fine" proves is that the amplifier and outputs of the AVIC are working, it does nothing in relation to the analog ipod/USB/dock connector path.

I have had to replace my 900BT (was affected by the ipod issue and some jerk stole the unit - and the problem BTW) recently. The new unit is a 9110BT (the 910BT with VW facia plate) and the problem is gone. Biggest difference with the USB connection compared to the 900: the USB is a long cable permanently attached to the unit (no chassis-female USB connector on the back of the unit anymore).

Could this be Pioneer concluded that the ipod issue is often related to the chassis connector?