AVIC411.com

Diaftia's Hybrid mods V2.3 - UPDATED: 01/14/10

BTW, I posted the following previously and I am sure that you guys already knew what I am talking about ... just want to make sure as you said almost everything is configurable, so lot of writing will be performed to the Flash :mrgreen:

Quted "As for the realtime logging, it should never be considered as a solution because Flash memories are bonded with limited number of write cycles, so if you write very frequently to the same spot of memory, then it will eventually fail. Most Flash memory only lasts 10,000 write cycles, while the best could go up to 100,000. So it is not infinit.

Beware your coders and modders."

Well, you could check to see if there's an SD card inserted and if so, use that for your logging target. SD cards are getting cheaper every day and are much easier to replace than the onboard flash. :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These mods were tested and made on a US based F90BT running 3.01.   I did a lot of coding on this to make additions and adaptations to what was there but the original mods are done by the following

Posted Images

just want to make sure as you said almost everything is configurable, so lot of writing will be performed to the Flash

We have provided for backup, restore, selective restore and clear of the Avic data and the backup/restore of the whiole flash disk.

What you are asking is not somthing that would be covered by a skin.

This can be set now in the sys.txt.

Modify this section of sys.txt

[folders]

data="\My Flash Disk\User\UserData\iGo"

tts_nuance="\My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\ScanSoft\RealSpeakSolo"

secondary_app="Storage Card/usericon,USB Disk/usericon"

usb_trackexport_path="\USB Disk"

storage_trackexport_path="\Storage Card"

content="\My Flash Disk\APL2\iGO\content"

If you change the \My Flash Disk\ to \Storage Card\ igo will load and avic from your new locations

Cheers

34by151

That is good info indeed. So the control as to where to write data is in Sys.txt, which is good. But if you guys expect lot of writings, you still have to provide the Sys.txt to write externally to the SD card, just for safety and prevent newbies from wearing out their internal flash.

Many thanks!

That is good info indeed. So the control as to where to write data is in Sys.txt, which is good. But if you guys expect lot of writings, you still have to provide the Sys.txt to write externally to the SD card, just for safety and prevent newbies from wearing out their internal flash.

Many thanks!

I still wouldnt worry about that. The internal flash would still probably outlast your Avic.

Many thanks!

I still wouldnt worry about that. The internal flash would still probably outlast your Avic.

If all depends Abb, if the script is recording at every 30 seconds to the same memory spot (location), and you are driving 2 hours per days in average, then with 10,000 write cycles, your AVIC's memory spot will wear out in just 42 days (NOT YEARS) :!:

Hein what?

Many thanks!

If all depends Abb, if the script is recording at every 10 seconds, and you are driving 2 hours per days in average, then with 10,000 write cycles, your AVIC will only last 14 days (NOT YEARS) :!:

Hein what?

I am not worried, I never keep electronics longer than one year. My F700BT lasted me a year traveling 60000 km. I now use it for modding and my X910bt will last jusst as long. if it doesn't, who cares, electronics are replaceable :)

** I would expect it to last the whole time I own my vehicule :roll: .

How is that possible? Technology is changing at an alarming rate. In five years these systems will be so outdated.

To me, this is all a hobby. I build my own computers since '99 and keep them up to date with the latest technology as it comes out. Tv's have a longer expectancy, I usually keep them for three years. Gps systems on the other hand need to be updated regularly or even yearly. I still have a TomTom system from 2005 that does not even have two streets in my neighborhood that have been there for 30 years. It also doesn't have Airport Rd in Toronto where Pearson International Airport is on, or a main city street in Kingston :roll: . No, we have to keep our technology up to date, or else, what is the sense of having it!

** I would expect it to last the whole time I own my vehicule :roll: .

How is that possible? Technology is changing at an alarming rate. In five years these systems will be so outdated.

To me, this is all a hobby. I build my own computers since '99 and keep them up to date with the latest technology as it comes out. Tv's have a longer expectancy, I usually keep them for three years. Gps systems on the other hand need to be updated regularly or even yearly. I still have a TomTom system from 2005 that does not even have two streets in my neighborhood that have been there for 30 years. It also doesn't have Airport Rd in Toronto where Pearson International Airport is on, or a main city street in Kingston :roll: . No, we have to keep our technology up to date, or else, what is the sense of having it!

OMG, give me your cell number so I can call you from time to time, just to see if you have anything to sell :mrgreen: .

I started buiding computer since the time of Apple II Plus with 64 KB of RAM, no HDD at all ... but we have to be environmentally responsible, those technology garbage is so damaging for the environment, and our kids ...

Chuck88,

If this is a problem for you just adjust your sys.txt to store the files where you want them.

Other than that you might want to post this in a new thread as it does not really relate to this mod but the hardware in general.

Cheers

34by151

Chuck88,

If this is a problem for you just adjust your sys.txt to store the files where you want them.

Other than that you might want to post this in a new thread as it does not really relate to this mod but the hardware in general.

Cheers

34by151

Hey 34by151,

It is not my intent to speak about the environmental issue, but just make modders aware of the fact (limited write cycle of Flash) and make sure I don't have a nice piece of software but only to shorten the life of my AVIC.

With this been said, I will be the first one to try your mod once released :wink: .

Until then ... let's continue enjoying modding.

OMG, give me your cell number so I can call you from time to time, just to see if you have anything to sell :mrgreen: .

Sorry Chuck, you would be at the bottom of a very long list :shock: . Before any of my friends shop for ANY electronics, they check with me first as always, what I have is better than what they want :D

Sorry Chuck, you would be at the bottom of a very long list :shock: . Before any of my friends shop for ANY electronics, they check with me first as always, what I have is better than what they want :D

That is what I thought, and your friends must always tell you that "I am glad, and this is what friends is for ... by buying/taking over your stuffs!". :mrgreen:

Chick88,

Thanks for your comments re the flash writes. Please be aware that the next version is a collaborative effort.

I can accept no credit for things that are not entirely my own work, so thanks from both of us

With regards the flash disk, thank you again, Diaftia and myself are aware.

I don't feel this is a problem given that you have the option to have these files on the SD card or USB stick.

Please take the discussion on the flash disk writes to a new thread as it does not relate to this topic directly but to the life cycle the AVIC and electronics in general

Cheers

34by151

Thank you 34by151, I am over with those discussions here ... and you are right, they do not belong to this thread.

I don't have intention to make another thread for that matter, as this is only a side note, but maybe a too big one :mrgreen: .

With best regards!