AVIC411.com

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth..i can send you my update disk, i know that ti worked fine with my unit. No problems during my install of the new software.

PM me if ur interested.

PM sent, I tried 4 different times with 2 different brands of CD media. I would like to try a disk that is known good.

The really good thing is that restoring the backup partitions that I had on my pc brought the unit back from the update/reset loop I couldn't get out of. I tried updating it 3 different times, with 3 different burns from 2 different pcs and nothing is getting past 99%.

ducatiboy, try different media, that sounds like a read problem. I have NEVER found the speed in which you burn to be the culprit (even in xbox modding) this update worked fine for me the first time on media that I had used prev. for image editing in the d2, so I was sure it would read fine in this case..

I have seen it, although I might only think I have seen it. Burning PS2 backups, Xbox backups and DVD backups (all dvd) I think I have seen slower burns more compatible in more devices. Maybe I'm just nuts.

also, something to note about this update, it seems to have improved the ipod interface and its features. Such as the delay often complained about when searching through playlists and artists and such. It is noticeably faster now. Maybe because of a reset, maybe not. also, when flipping from one song to the next, it displays at the bottom of the screen MUCH faster what it is now playing.

Nice, now I want it all the more!

I had a look at the image itself, it has the label: 061011_1530.

This suggests that it was compiled by Pioneer on Oct. 11th, 2006 - which means that they've most likely decided to insert some code that disables Ducatiboy's flasher.

As much as I would like a big head and they are after me. I honestly think that they could care less about me. The problem is with their flash the lights thing, all the Z1 needs is for you to turn your headlights on at the correct time.

So you install the Z1 exactly like it says in the manual, you don't have the parking brake on, you start the car and right when you see the "starting pioneer navigation" text screen you turn on your headlights. If you do that, you can watch DVD's while driving and the Z1 is totally unlocked. Someone who doesn't want to watch movies while driving might accidentally stumble upon it and sue pioneer for the accident they have. They didn't want movies to play up front.

The update they did was make is so if you install it like the instructions say, there is no way you can view movies while driving. You have to disregard the "hook the parking brake wire like this" message and you have to modify the stock wiring harness. Nothing someone would stumble into accidentally.

This really sucks for anyone who bought the flasher (including me) and is looking for a fix for their "defective" Bluetooth unit.

Well rumor has it that you can do the ground 2 wires bypass and still have full functionality. Yes, it sucks that I sold these circuits to people who now might not need them, but you can still have an unlocked unit, you just need to change how you do it and throw out the flasher, or put it in a frame and mount it on the wall out of reverence! :)

UPDATE

I just finished restoring my hard drive a second or third time. I've lost track, it's been just under 5 hours I have been messing with this so give me some slack. :)

So far the 4 disks I burned don't work. I tried wiping my hard drive and starting over and then doing the update but that didn't work.

What I did learn is that a level 3 reset will kill your cell phone list, but keep your music, address book, phone book, recent phone calls, destinations, etc. While a level 4 reset will wipe out everything.... Factory Fresh Baby!

I did re-pair my phone and my wife's phone with the volume down to try that since the update isn't working for me right yet. I have a PM to dsrtlawman and hopefully he will send me his known working CD, to take that out of the equation. But in the mean time I want to take tillithz's advice and I will try to gather a couple other brands of CD rom to try burning this on to and see if that helps.

I'll update you guys here if I learn anything.

i'll be watching your progress to see if i can do something more to fix mine. in the mean time maybe you could tell me about, or direct me to instructions on the 2 wire ground. it's not so much the movies but dialing the phone (when it works) and doing address searches in the nav unit on the fly. thanks in advance

ducatiboy, this is worrisome...

woodman171 has a pre-July 07 unit and his worked, but he hasn't tried the 'connector 2 bypass' yet...

your trying with a pre-July 07 unit, and it won't make it through the update. On different brands of cd's even.

I have a pre-July 07 unit, and was waiting to see if the 'connector 2 bypass' would work after doing the update. I don't have the 'flasher' installed, so if it didn't take the 'connector 2 bypass', I still wanted the ability to flash the lights, so that's why I'm waiting for someone to test it out on a pre-July 07 unit.

now, I'm glad I waited. Why would woodman171's work and yours not? I mean must of us out here aren't capable of taken our hard drives out and saving them and restoring them...I can, but I'm sure it's a real pain. But, why do you think your having a problem and woodman171 isn't? You think it's because you've been messing with the hard drive?

ducatiboy, just pm me your addy ill send it tomorrow to you if you like. no charge lol.

Thank you very much, but I already PMed dsrtlawman and he said he would send me his working CD. So I don't think it's necessary for me to get 2 of them.

ducatiboy, this is worrisome...

Tell me about it. It's a good thing I had the backup of my hard drive.

I have a pre-July 07 unit, and was waiting to see if the 'connector 2 bypass' would work after doing the update. I don't have the 'flasher' installed, so if it didn't take the 'connector 2 bypass', I still wanted the ability to flash the lights, so that's why I'm waiting for someone to test it out on a pre-July 07 unit.

I will keep trying mine, and will do the 2 wire bypass when I do.

now, I'm glad I waited. Why would woodman171's work and yours not? I mean must of us out here aren't capable of taken our hard drives out and saving them and restoring them...I can, but I'm sure it's a real pain. But, why do you think your having a problem and woodman171 isn't? You think it's because you've been messing with the hard drive?

Yah, if this happened to almost anyone else, they would be stuck with a Z1 that didn't do any thing and had to ship it back to the factory for service. Why is this happening? I don't know, could be cause I was messing with the hard drives. But all I had done was read them, I didn't do any changes except for the color dots in the BMP file for the boot image, my hard drive was even locked with full security enabled when I tried the first one. I'm thinking it's the brand of CD I used, I will try a couple others.

UPDATE

Just burned a new Sony CD Rom with a new download from the rapidshare site. Burned with Nero on my "old school" plextor burner. 99% and it failed again. I really think there is something "special" with my Z1 which is causing the failure. Glad I have the backup of the hard drive :)

I'll try the "working" cd that was mailed to me, but I don' t know if that will make any difference. I did lower my volume all the way down and pair my phone again and it did help the echo quite a bit.

Hey all,

I downloaded the file last night, unzipped it and burned it using Nero. I have a 7/06 unit bypassed with the mute wire etc and not the circuit. Installed the disk and it said cd-rom inserted until I went to the map screen and then it started updating, rebooted and updated and then pretty much done. Didn't take long at all.

Now the test: I put the Z1 phone volume all the way up except for the last two bars. I currently have the microphone on the drivers side visor for now. I had the volume coming out only on the drivers side and called my wife at home on her landline. No echo whatsoever and she hated when I used the bluetooth because my echo was so bad before.

I then told her I'll call her right back. I adjusted the volume up one notch or just one press of the volume up. I put the volume to come out both speakers this time. Called wife, "It's echoing again!" So much for that.

Readjusted volume again one notch down and volume only out of drivers side. Called a friend on his cell phone (who has been my bluetooth tester on calls for months now) and no echo! Said it sounded great. Called another friend on cell phone, no problem. Called another landline phone and no problem.

So leave the Z1 volume at the level I mentioned coming out of one speaker and I think were good. It's not perfect as I would like to have it louder coming out of both speakers but it will do for now. This is only a one day test and will report if more echos occur over time.

I have not noticed anything else different, i.e. iPod faster...Thanks for everyone's input and I've been a observer here for a long time, just not much time to post. All the best...

I honestly believe a large majority of this is the cars design coupled with MIC placement. I say this because I have an 02 sequoia, with MIC placed behind the speakers (closer to the front of the car than the speakers are), all 4 speakers on and volume up a decent amount, 3 - 4 bars, and no one has ever complained to me about echo. I've even called friends and asked them if they hear any echo and they always say no.

Regardless, I'm glad theres an update out to help. And the fact that it makes iPod navigation faster and other features better makes it even better. I'm troubled that ducatiboy is having so much trouble with it, makes me hesitate to try the update.

Does anyone else notice anything better about the new firmware?

As for ducatiboy's flasher, don't go throwing them out the window just yet. It's still VERY, VERY useful. Remember many new cars, especially japanese models, now use a pulsed circuit for the illumination wire, and the avic z1 wants to either see 12v or nothing, it doesn't like pulsed circuits and I've confirmed this in my 02 sequoia.

If you still want your unit to dim with your headlights/parking lights keep his circuit, you may need it.

-Ed

The 2-wire ground bypass does work for my March 06 model after the bluetooth update.

I used Nero to burn the update CD. The Z1 updated without any problems. It did however, as mentioned earlier in this forum, negate the flasher bypass I purchased from Ducatiboy. I removed the flasher bypass and completed the 2-wire grounding. Works beautifully!!

The bluetooth update did only provide about a 1 1/4 bar volume increase without echo. Much better than before since driving a Duramax Diesel on the freeway completely drowned out the 3 bar volume I had before.

Just to mention, I did place my mic on the overhead center console facing aft, allowing both front speakers to be active during a phone call.

Just a little FYI.