AVIC411.com

New Iphone 4G and Avic Z110BT, are they compatible??

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows or have heard if the new Iphone 4G is going to be compatible with the Z110BT with or without the upgrade? I'm debating about getting one, but if its not compatible, I might just get a 3G? Has Pioneer said anything about this?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody knows until the phone is released. However there is no indication that Apple has changed anything with the components that would interface with any of the units so I think it is safe to say that there should be no problems.

How could anyone possibly know this?

The concern shouldn't be if the new iPhone 4 (it's not 4g) is compatible, the concern should be if iPhone OS 4 - which will be an upgrade for all version 3 phones and iTouches in a few weeks in addition to the new phone - causes problems. We just don't know. Hopefully nothing has changed but Apple has been known to switch things under the radar in the past.

The only real concern would be any changes to the software or hardware protocol that deals with the dock connector. That could possibly render the control of iPod functions useless if there was a change in the way the software or hardware on the phone handles the dock connector. The iPad would be the example I would use in this case as the software on that device handles the dock connector in a way that makes it incompatible with any remote control device. Now as far as the dock connector is concerned with the iPhone/iPod devices it is clear Apple has settled on how they want this to work and there is no indication they plan to change anything in this area anytime soon so there should be no problem there. The next concern would be the Bluetooth software in the phone. Well after all, its just Bluetooth so I really dont see any big changes there so there should be no problem with the Bluetooth either. Now, Pandora Link may be in trouble as that is an application and will be dependent on the OS on the device. So it is likely Pandora Link wont be compatible with OS4 on release and with Pioneer's track record on updates I would not expect it to be updated in less then several months after release. Hopefully Pioneer has had their hands on the OS4 beta for the last several months and has an update ready when OS4 is released. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath though.

iPhone 4 (it's not 4g)

The 4g references the fact that it's 4th generation.

My point is that Apple calls it the iPhone 4, not the iPhone 4G, because most people would not assume the "G" meant "generation" they would assume it referred to the new 4G networks many carriers are rolling out and spending billions to advertise.

Get an iPod classic.

And lose Pandora support, which is far and away my favorite feature (I have the x920bt). That isn't going to be an option for many people buying the newer units.

You can still use Pandora over BT audio streaming you just wont have the interface. I certainly wouldn't let the lack of the Pandora interface stop me from getting the new phone. Especially sense Pioneer may actually have their act together and have an update for Pandora link for the new phone eventually.

You can still use Pandora over BT audio streaming you just wont have the interface. I certainly wouldn't let the lack of the Pandora interface stop me from getting the new phone. Especially sense Pioneer may actually have their act together and have an update for Pandora link for the new phone eventually.

This is good news, I really wanted to have the Pandora feature weather via BT audio streaming or the APP once its available. I have made up my mind on getting the IPHONE (4thGeneration ) : ) I hope that Pioneer will surprise us and tell us that they have been proactive and are already working on it. Apple must have told developers who have created recent Apps about the new interface. Either way, I am weary about the connection, I've had different generation I-touch's that charge on some devices made for earlier generations, but will not charge the newer ones? Hope this is not the case here.

Apple must have told developers who have created recent Apps about the new interface.

Well the betas for iOS4 have been out for around three months now so they have had the opportunity to be working on it for at least that long.

Correction: PandoraLink DOES WORK in iOS4, however it DOES NOT run in the background yet. I made the mistake of not signing into Pandora...

They(Apple) should have plenty of documentation on the multi-tasking API's and what it takes..... and SHOULD be a simple fix....

Hopefully it'll be resolved by iOS4's release....

Either way... good to know that it's not completely fubarred....