AVIC411.com

AppRadio Extensions 2.0 Beta - Full iPhone control

That's a built in function that I don't have control over. It should work though, mine does.

That's strange I have a Audi A3 and mines never worked ....even before I installed your extension.  Has any body else had this issue ? ??????????? 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's strange I have a Audi A3 and mines never worked ....even before I installed your extension.  Has any body else had this issue ? ??????????? 

So, first of all, a huge thank you to Mike for this development. I had to join after seeing the last post.

I have a VW and have a similar issue with steering wheel controls.

What is interesting is that my steering wheel controls work with the "Bluetooth Audio" function from the radio, but not when using the iPhone 5 with the CD-IV202AV, lightning cable and the lightning to VGA adapter.

I never had an iPhone 4 connected to "advanced app mode" before upgrading the radio firmware to support the new cable/iPhone 5 to know if the steering wheel controls worked with the car media player or other media players, but the forward/back buttons do not work on an iPhone 5 when "advanced app mode" is active.

I am curious if the reason that the steering wheel controls are not working is because when using the iPhone 5 with the CD-IV202AV the audio is being transmitted via Bluetooth and the radio is not responding to the steering wheel controls because the radio is expecting when "Advanced app mode" is enabled that steering wheel controls related to appradio functions are coming from "iPod control" not Bluetooth.

Summary, Bluetooth with steering wheel controls works with "Bluetooth Audio" source function, but not when in appradio/advanced app mode on iPhone 5 with CD-IV202AV.

Can any iPhone 4S/4 users confirm that steering wheel controls work for appradio/advanced app mode? If steering wheel controls do work, and if there is nothing that Mike can do on his side, then this may mean that Pioneer may need to update the firmware of units using an iPhone 5 with the CD-IV202AV which forces the audio to be transmitted via Bluetooth.

Thoughts?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the extensions!

I have an iPhone 5 and the sph-da100

Now back on beta 14 because on some reason my NAVIGON app don't work properly on beta 15 and 16. When I start the NAVIGON the screen size become very small screen in screen.

Hope you can do something for this, if you need more info let me know!

Thanks in advance

Audio does not go over BT when in App Mode.

I think with the configuration I noted above it may. Please refer to pioneer's fw upgrade instructions:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Car-Firmware/AVH-P8400BH_iPhone%205-FW-Update_May2013_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

@Mike: I can also confirm the same Navigon behavior mentioned in the post above. I have a smaller rotated version of the navigon screen overlayed over the larger horizontal navigon display.

And where does it say in the update instructions that audio travels over BT in App Mode?

Regardless I don't have to read the update instructions to know how the units work. The only time audio travels over BT is with the BT audio source and hands free calling. BT is used in App Mode to handle the control data only. All audio/video signals travel over the VGA/RGB cable.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the extensions!

I have an iPhone 5 and the sph-da100

Now back on beta 14 because on some reason my NAVIGON app don't work properly on beta 15 and 16. When I start the NAVIGON the screen size become very small screen in screen.

Hope you can do something for this, if you need more info let me know!

Thanks in advance

Did you try enabling Navigon in the Force Mirroring setting?

Does Navigon show a message about external displays or does it show a reduced iPhone screen?

Edit: I'm still working on this feature, so it may change/fix itself in the next beta.

And where does it say in the update instructions that audio travels over BT in App Mode?

Regardless I don't have to read the update instructions to know how the units work. The only time audio travels over BT is with the BT audio source and hands free calling. BT is used in App Mode to handle the control data only. All audio/video signals travel over the VGA/RGB cable.

So, I did some testing and confirmed that when using an iPhone 5 with a cd-iv202a and an avh-p8400bh that audio is being transmitted via Bluetooth.

A VGA (Video Graphics Array) cable can only transmit video. But to prove a theory, I pulled the lightning cable from the apple lightning to VGA adapter and the audio was still playing and I was still in app mode (because the VGA cable was still connected to the apple lightning to VGA adapter and the adapter was connected to the phone). The only thing that stopped working was that the phone stopped charging.

So, just to make sure, I called pioneer and spoke to Ceasar at their dealer direct department who confirmed that when the CD-IV202A is required for the iPhone 5 and the AVH-P8400bh that the audio IS being transmitted via Bluetooth. He also confirmed that when AppRadio is looking for steering wheel controls that it is looking for the input from the iPod control side, but since the audio is being transmit via Bluetooth the steering wheel controls have no target.

I am waiting for a call back from Ceasar who is escalating this to the engineers to have this considered for a future firmware update. He also thanked me for bringing this to pioneers attention as this is a safety issue as it could force a driver to remove their eyes from the road to look at the screen to make a song selection change, as not every app with music controls are developed the same way and could cause confusion.

So....

Mike, is there anyway that you know of to trigger the Bluetooth source music controls when appradio is enabled? If not, it might be a long wait from Pioneer.

@VBLUE42:  I believe that the issue that I am referencing is only specific to users who are required to use the CD-IV202A iphone 5 interface with an Apple Lightning VGA Adapter.  Users who have the ability to use the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter should not experience this.  (Wish the AVH-P8400BH could use this configuration)

So, I did some testing and confirmed that when using an iPhone 5 with a cd-iv202a and an avh-p8400bh that audio is being transmitted via Bluetooth.

A VGA (Video Graphics Array) cable can only transmit video. But to prove a theory, I pulled the lightning cable from the apple lightning to VGA adapter and the audio was still playing and I was still in app mode (because the VGA cable was still connected to the apple lightning to VGA adapter and the adapter was connected to the phone). The only thing that stopped working was that the phone stopped charging.

So, just to make sure, I called pioneer and spoke to Ceasar at their dealer direct department who confirmed that when the CD-IV202A is required for the iPhone 5 and the AVH-P8400bh that the audio IS being transmitted via Bluetooth. He also confirmed that when AppRadio is looking for steering wheel controls that it is looking for the input from the iPod control side, but since the audio is being transmit via Bluetooth the steering wheel controls have no target.

I am waiting for a call back from Ceasar who is escalating this to the engineers to have this considered for a future firmware update. He also thanked me for bringing this to pioneers attention as this is a safety issue as it could force a driver to remove their eyes from the road to look at the screen to make a song selection change, as not every app with music controls are developed the same way and could cause confusion.

So....

Mike, is there anyway that you know of to trigger the Bluetooth source music controls when appradio is enabled? If not, it might be a long wait from Pioneer.

VGA reference: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

Start your unit and activate audio play back with Car Media Player. Then go to your phones settings and turn BT off. Report back what happens. I don't have an 8400 so I cant say for sure. But I do know that BT audio is a compressed audio source and considered by many to be vastly inferior to other media sources. I find it hard to believe that pioneer would take a high audio quality unit and dumb it down by only allowing BT audio as the sole means of audio in the unit. Especially when none of the other App Radio units work this way. It simply wouldn't make sense for them to do this only with the 8400.

Start your unit and activate audio play back with Car Media Player. Then go to your phones settings and turn BT off. Report back what happens. I don't have an 8400 so I cant say for sure. But I do know that BT audio is a compressed audio source and considered by many to be vastly inferior to other media sources. I find it hard to believe that pioneer would take a high audio quality unit and dumb it down by only allowing BT audio as the sole means of audio in the unit. Especially when none of the other App Radio units work this way. It simply wouldn't make sense for them to do this only with the 8400.

I agree, it makes no sense, but I also can no longer revert my unit back to the previous state where I can use the original 30 pin pioneer supplied cable with the 30 pin to lightning adapter and use ipod control.  With the firmware update, ipod control is lost.

At first i thought that I would just lose ipod control for the iphone 5 with its new cables, but even when I connect an iphone 4 to a 30 pin usb cable into the second port of the radio, i receive an error, yes, my AVH-P8400bh, while not the latest model, is now incapable of supporting ipod control any longer.

There obviously is a limitation of the 8400 and its video output capability that requires it to be the VGA output.  Which since VGA cant pass the audio, it is forced to use bluetooth.  Trust me, i love my music, and i am mega bummed by this.

Well if that is the case I stand corrected. But that sucks if it is. If I were you I would consider selling the 8400 and going with one of the newer units. I will say this however, if you plan to use App Mode a lot you might want to consider the App Radio sense there seem to be several issues with the AVH models and App Mode.

the 8400 lost 'ipod1' as a source too when not in app mode, indicating it is Bluetooth. Before I changed cables from 30 pin -> lightning the Bluetooth volume would need to be about 10 or 15 notches higher than the 'ipod1' source. Now when you unplug it requires no change in volume...

Pretty sure they shortcut it or there was an unpublished technical limitation.

• RonS locked this topic