AVIC411.com

Is it worth installing CarPlay

It seems as though most are not happy with the install of CarPlay and have been having all kinds of problems.

I am guessing that Pioneer or Apple will not address these issues very shortly.

So I am on the fence about even installing the update. I love my NEX 7000 the way it is, but still want CarPlay as an alternative function.

Once CarPlay is installed, do all the standard NEX functions still work as before, or does CarPlay affect these in any way?

Thanks

Phil

As far as I can see, you can just use the iPhone with usb2 port and it will act just like it did without carplay.

I just hit the home button on the nex and I can operate the HU just like before the upgrade.

And if you're running Apple maps via carplay, you can switch back and forth via the home button on the nex.

In my opinion, the biggest risk you take in installing CarPlay right now is that you might end up with the awful static popping problem. That's what happened to me: my unit worked fine before the update, and while I like having CarPlay, I do NOT like the fact that now every time I turn my car off there's a HUGE pop of static through my speakers. And it's happened to other people too.

So, given the chance to do it again, I might have waited to see if a fix for this problem would. forthcoming. But knowing Pioneer, that isn't very likely.

This is my second 8000nex. Sold the first one after selling truck. But now that I have read all of your post, I'm definite waiting on installing an update. Not worth it right now to me. Especially the popping noise. Kind of seems like it would be aggravating. Ill prob keep the 1.02 for now.

From reading all of the comments, I believe that the popping noise is happening to a small number of people. It certainly is not happening to me. So far, The only negative for me is the more metallic sound I hear during a call through CarPlay. Everything else works for me.

What people have to keep in mind is the vast number of different configurations out there. I have an 8000NEX, using the factory speaker wiring through a F01 harness hooked up to a maestro RR. I do not have the HU hooked up to a separate amp for the front and rear speakers, but I do have a separate powered subwoofer.

It would be helpful for those having issues to list out their own configurations so we might be able to start troubleshooting these issues ourselves. .

It seems as though most are not happy with the install of CarPlay and have been having all kinds of problems.

I am guessing that Pioneer or Apple will not address these issues very shortly.

So I am on the fence about even installing the update. I love my NEX 7000 the way it is, but still want CarPlay as an alternative function.

Once CarPlay is installed, do all the standard NEX functions still work as before, or does CarPlay affect these in any way?

Thanks

Phil

I wouldnt because it completely crashed my unit. Now I more than likely have to send it back to pioneer. http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/39561-5000-nex-not-updating-stuck-in-recovery/

From reading all of the comments, I believe that the popping noise is happening to a small number of people. It certainly is not happening to me. So far, The only negative for me is the more metallic sound I hear during a call through CarPlay. Everything else works for me.

What people have to keep in mind is the vast number of different configurations out there. I have an 8000NEX, using the factory speaker wiring through a F01 harness hooked up to a maestro RR. I do not have the HU hooked up to a separate amp for the front and rear speakers, but I do have a separate powered subwoofer.

It would be helpful for those having issues to list out their own configurations so we might be able to start troubleshooting these issues ourselves. .

I also have front and rear speakers hooked up using stock wires and(no amp), and subwoofer(with amp). I do not have any popping noises, my music and ripped dvd both start where left off, on sdcard and ssd. I have had no issues whatsoever, just don't have any need for carplay, so i disabled it. I think the popping sounds the few people are hearing may be an amp issue.

So is this an amp issue or what? This continues to happen to me and it happened again Friday.

Eric, i wish i could tell you a definitive answer on that. If all the guys that are having the issue could maybe list how their system is setup, maybe we all could see a common thing or something. I have read all your posts and feel your pain, I have been trying to figure out if is an amp issue or not. I do have one question, If you turn off all inputs before you shut down the vehicle, does it still pop?

I have the popping issue, and my setup is as follows: head unit, JL XD700/5 external amp, subwoofer. In my setup, the front components and subwoofer are run off the amp while the rear speakers (which are hardly ever used) are run off the head unit itself.

Would be interesting to see if everyone who has the popping issue is using an external amp.

I have the popping issue, and my setup is as follows: head unit, JL XD700/5 external amp, subwoofer. In my setup, the front components and subwoofer are run off the amp while the rear speakers (which are hardly ever used) are run off the head unit itself.

Would be interesting to see if everyone who has the popping issue is using an external amp.

Try hooking up amp turn on from the amp to acc instead of remote wire on the deck.

Make sure gain controls are set appropriately, no more than half way

Also may be blown pico fuse internally on the deck from plugging rcas in and out while everything was powered up

I have tried everything from resetting the 8000 to trying every cord with the USB 1. It doesn't do it with the Bluetooth playing music, the radio, the cd, or even a USB flash drive. My only issue is when my apple products are plugged in with the USB 1 from the Lightning cord to the 30 pin cord from pioneer. IPod touch, iphone 5 when I had one, iPod classic, and I haven't tried with this iPhone 6 playing music. It happened again doing that Friday with my iPod touch which is updated to the iOS 8.0.2.