AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

Well, bad news. Mine is not working well. Last night I booted it up a few times, saw that it worked, played a few songs last night, etc. Seemed like it was working.

But this morning I left the new drive in on the way to work, after 5 mintues or so, the screen just froze on whatever it was on. And the thing locked up. It still played what ever it was on (happened to be a cd-rom of mp3's this morning). The volume buttons worked. The volume buttons in me steering wheel worked. The eject button on the front panel worked, but the screen didn't change to the eject screen. Nothing else worked.

What was pretty funny, was on my way to work, at stop lights I would turn off the truck and turn it back on and let it reboot, and it kept putting my gps position back near my house. Then as I was driving, it would fight between putting me on 2 diverging roads and then gave up and said I was driving through a field and then it locked up.

When I got to work, in the parking lot, I restarted and it put my position there correctly, then it locked up eventually there as well.

So my drive experiment didn't go so well either.

It still works with the stock drive (I knew I should have brought that to work) :) I have the image and can try a different drive, I can use a 30 gig that I have as well. Who knows. I think I did it just like Pulp's one.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ducatiboy"]Well, bad news. Mine is not working well. Last night I booted it up a few times, saw that it worked, played a few songs last night, etc. Seemed like it was working.

But this morning I left the new drive in on the way to work, after 5 mintues or so, the screen just froze on whatever it was on. And the thing locked up. It still played what ever it was on (happened to be a cd-rom of mp3's this morning). The volume buttons worked. The volume buttons in me steering wheel worked. The eject button on the front panel worked, but the screen didn't change to the eject screen. Nothing else worked.

What was pretty funny, was on my way to work, at stop lights I would turn off the truck and turn it back on and let it reboot, and it kept putting my gps position back near my house. Then as I was driving, it would fight between putting me on 2 diverging roads and then gave up and said I was driving through a field and then it locked up.

When I got to work, in the parking lot, I restarted and it put my position there correctly, then it locked up eventually there as well.

So my drive experiment didn't go so well either.

It still works with the stock drive (I knew I should have brought that to work) :) I have the image and can try a different drive, I can use a 30 gig that I have as well. Who knows. I think I did it just like Pulp's one.[/quote]

Damn, bad news.

I guess I'm going to get another drive and image it up to see what happens. I hope I didn't just get lucky.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Cirbirus"]Well at least I know it's not that I'm grossly incompetent...[/quote]

Are you sure that it would rule it out? :)[/quote]

LOL, oh yeah... I guess not. ;)

Any further word on getting that hard drive to work with your Z1?

I gave up and bought a new 60GB iPod, I just wish the iPod interface didn't suck so badly.
Before I start, I just like y'all to know that I do not own a z1 yet, currently with my n1. I did not bother to read all of the pages. Just happened to read about different drives and locking/unlocking.

I guess the only thing I want to know is, those of you who unlocked the stock drive and ghost it to the new drive, did you locked it with the same unlock key of the stock drive? If you guys ever modded xboxes, you know that you need the same hdd key to lock the new drive for it to work.

So if you can find your original stock hdd key, lock the new drive with the stock key and see what happens. Hope this isn't covered in the numerous pages that i didn't read, and hope that this helps a little.
We already tried changing the password to something we knew and relocking the drive, when the drive was put back into the Z1, the hard drive password was changed to what the Z1 wanted and was re-locked. The master and user passwords are overwritten every time the drive is re-inserted (or maybe every time it's powered up).

And one guy has unlocked a drive and disabled unlocking (at least on the stock drive) and the new non-lockabe drives worked fine (at least in one Z1). So it's not a locking issue (at least as far as we know).
[quote name="ducatiboy"]We already tried changing the password to something we knew and relocking the drive, when the drive was put back into the Z1, the hard drive password was changed to what the Z1 wanted and was re-locked. The master and user passwords are overwritten every time the drive is re-inserted (or maybe every time it's powered up).

And one guy has unlocked a drive and disabled unlocking (at least on the stock drive) and the new non-lockabe drives worked fine (at least in one Z1). So it's not a locking issue (at least as far as we know).[/quote]

I've been running the replacement drive in an unlocked state for about a month now with no issues. Sadly I'm the only one. There must be something "special" about my Z1.....
I really think it's just some process or hard part you are using that is working Pulp...not the Z1. I think this is provable by trying your drive in another Z1. Maybe you could set up another drive just EXACTLY like yours and ship it to Ducatiboy and see how it works. If it works in yours, and not his...then we have problems.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I really think it's just some process or hard part you are using that is working Pulp...not the Z1. I think this is provable by trying your drive in another Z1. Maybe you could set up another drive just EXACTLY like yours and ship it to Ducatiboy and see how it works. If it works in yours, and not his...then we have problems.[/quote]

You are SOOOO funny or psychic.

I did exactly that already with no luck. Ran a drive in my Z1 for a weekend with no problems. Sent it to Ducati. He tried it for 5-15 min. and it crashed.
Well, that's something I can try.

Pulp, I have your drive which you said worked fine in your Z1. But crashes in mine, I have an image of mine, which I tried on a different drive, maybe I should wipe out your drive and load my image on your drive and see if that helps.