AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

[quote name="Cirbirus"]I wonder if we have to use FAT32. The system is Windows, it should be able to read NTFS... famous last words.[/quote]

Yah, but different kinds of windows have different levels of NTFS compatibility. Remember 95/98/ME had none. Only NT/2000/XP can read NTFS. I would guess windows mobile might not have the code packed in there to read NTFS.

But please try, that's a good experiment.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have access to...or know someone...or some service center, etc that would have access to a factory tech manual for this unit? I think that would be invaluable assistance and indeed may explain a lot of things we are guessing at.
[quote name="03Aviator"]Does anyone have access to...or know someone...or some service center, etc that would have access to a factory tech manual for this unit? I think that would be invaluable assistance and indeed may explain a lot of things we are guessing at.[/quote]

I decided to take mine apart tonight. Any specific questions? New thread coming.
I took my nav drive out. Unlocked the drive and made a ghost image from one to the other resizing the partitions with ghost. Put the new drive back in my nav system and it did not work. I turn on the car and the nav fans kick on but the screen stays down and never folds up. I tried to take out the drive and boot with no drive at all and it did the same thing.

I'm going to make a few more images of my original drive before I give up too much and put the original drive back in. I'm afraid to disable security with MHDD for feer I might mess something up.

Any thoughts?

My replacement drive is a Hitachi Travelstar out of a IBM T40, 40 gig, and I disabled locking, I know this cause it was in the unit and came back out and still unlocked. And when MHDD tried to lock it with PWD it said it couldn't cause the drive didn't support this.

Weird all I get is just fan noise on the Nav when I boot it up.
I didn't disable the locking on the stock drive, I was scared.

I also think I know what I was doing. I did NOT put the cover back on, I just shoved the drive in. And it looks like the cover has a little part which pushes a button down to say the drive is in. And without it the unit turns on and just the fan runs.

So FYI while testing... always put the cover back on.

I have the stock drive back in with one change, the boot up logo. I have made 3 full backups. 1 image, 1 set of partition images, and file transfers. I'll put the copied drive back in some time and see if the cover lets it boot up, I think it will. I think that was my only problem.

So changed the boot logo for $50. Doesn't really seem worth it. But I guess it does. I hope I like that logo :)
I've done that and am using an unlocked stock drive now. I have been completely unable to get the Z1 to work with a different drive. I tried sector copied images, file copyed/fdisked, and Ghosted it. None of those methods worked. The software just kept crashing moments after booting up.
[quote name="03Aviator"]Isn't pulp fiction successfully using another (larger) drive? I believe he had to manipulate the partitions to accomplish that didn't he?[/quote]

Yes he is. But Cirbirus was having reboot problems with his which is why they HDD sticky is stuck where it is till people figure it out. I'm going to throw my hat into the ring since now I have a new laptop drive imaged and ready to put in and see how it goes.
[quote name="03Aviator"]Isn't pulp fiction successfully using another (larger) drive? I believe he had to manipulate the partitions to accomplish that didn't he?[/quote]

No partition manipulation. Just creating standard WIN32 partitions and applying the ghost image. Only manipulation was disabling the drivelock.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="03Aviator"]Isn't pulp fiction successfully using another (larger) drive? I believe he had to manipulate the partitions to accomplish that didn't he?[/quote]

No partition manipulation. Just creating standard WIN32 partitions and applying the ghost image. Only manipulation was disabling the drivelock.[/quote]

Oh and if you do a ghost image of the whole drive from one to the other and let it resize the partitions, it will by default try to increase the LDATA partition, just drop down the size to the stock size and tell it to increase the MVS partition. It should work just ghosting the whole drive over, instead of partition by partition.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="03Aviator"]Isn't pulp fiction successfully using another (larger) drive? I believe he had to manipulate the partitions to accomplish that didn't he?[/quote]

No partition manipulation. Just creating standard WIN32 partitions and applying the ghost image. Only manipulation was disabling the drivelock.[/quote]

Oh and if you do a ghost image of the whole drive from one to the other and let it resize the partitions, it will by default try to increase the LDATA partition, just drop down the size to the stock size and tell it to increase the MVS partition. It should work just ghosting the whole drive over, instead of partition by partition.[/quote]

Good to know. I didn't try doing that. Now lets wait until you confirm the larger drive works to put that in gold. :D
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]Good to know. I didn't try doing that. Now lets wait until you confirm the larger drive works to put that in gold. :D[/quote]

Larger drive (I used a 40gig) is working like a champ! No problems. Mine is a Hitachi drive. Also security is disabled. I'll use it for a few days and tell you if I notice any weird issues.

What I ended up doing last was just what pulp_fiction did. Create all the partitions in XP manager and format them fat 32, then ghost each partition to each new one. I did the ghost all in one, and I think that would work too. But to not confuse anyone, I didn't do that and see it work yet.