AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
I've searched the drive for system files and found nothing but data and a couple of applications. The OS must be loaded in the Z1's flash memory.[/quote]

I believe you are correct on this assumption because the manual states that on extremely cold starts the unit will disable the hard drive until it warms up and some functions won't be available. That would mean a good chuck of the systems code is somewhere in flash.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="racbor"]I tried the winamp liquid audio plugin on a XP SP1 machine and it didn't work. I tried [url=http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Sony_ATRAC3_Audio_Codec.htm]http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Son ... _Codec.htm[/url] and no go.
I also tried this codec pack [url=http://www.free-codecs.com/download/BoliGego_Codec_Manager.htm]http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Bol ... anager.htm[/url], it says the at3 is a video format, but it didn't work either.

pulp_fiction, I know you've spent a lot of time on this, but I noticed you added a CD to the z1, would it be possible to convert the CD using the sonic stage at3 converter and then compare the files using a hex compare program? I've used this hex compare program for work stuff and it worked okay, [url=http://www.download.com/HexCmp/3000-2352_4-10393506.html?tag=lst-0-4]http://www.download.com/HexCmp/3000-235 ... ag=lst-0-4[/url]. It might show that the z1 files are just missing the header as mentioned earlier. Good work so far. I don't even own the z1 yet, but I can't help wanting to crack this thing.[/quote]

See the other thread for ATRAC3 work: [url]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530[/url]

On the file changes. I already did this. I'm uploading a zip file here with all the files that contained the a modified date that corresponded with my uploading of the CD. Having the Nav in this unit is nice since all date/time stamps are accurate. To save space the actual AT3 files are not included except for the 1st one. It is real small so this might be a good one to play with in figuring out the way the Z1 damages the AT3 files on ripping.

From CD Offspring - Smash.

The folder structure has been maintained I think.
I renamed the Navi.exe file in both prg1 and prg0 and the Z1 would only play the radio. The screen was stuck on the Pioneer logo. At least this confims the system does pull some programs from the HDD on boot. This may give us a place to hook from for loading another application such as Windows media player or Winamp.

I'm going to try another file or 2 and see if I can get a boot with features missing. This would be best.

EDIT:
Download.exe: renaming this file has no apparent effect on the Z1
Found in ECIESES.SYN
Licensed Materials - Property of IBM 11K6192, AT7AENA, AT7PRNA V2.3 AT7A3NA V3.1 AS8P7ZZ V4.1 (C)Copyright IBM Corp. 1999, 2002 All Rights Reserved US Government Users Restricted - Use, duplication or disclosure restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp.

KlattID version 4.0 © International Business Machines, Inc. 1996, 1997
[quote name="JasonH"]Nice Staeg there!

How did you go about doing that? Is there any way to modify what the button does, or just it's name?[/quote]

I Just edited the text in one of the .exe files to see what would happen. Still in the testing phase but from what I'm finding some of the buttons make calls to alternate files located in the embedded file system or at least .dll calls. We can't get into the embedded system YET, but I'm thinking since they appear to be path statements perhaps I can redirect one to the hard drive. I'm looking for an application that will run under this processor but really don't know where to look. Back to google.
I think it's a Renesas SH7770 or similar. With a compiled application for this processor I can try to insert and redirect a call to it as another test.
I'm not a hacker and I'm a very poor programmer so I'm flying rather blind.
Somthing I did notice is one of the main files: hmimanager.exe is the same name on my old Acura TL nav. Coincidence?

Here is a pic of the inside of the unit. All the closer pics were much more blurry. I didn't seperate the boards, just poked around inside.
I posted this comment in the other thread and thought I would copy it here. Other than this...I will try and stay out of your guy's way and just STHU and listen....

Ok...first thing I need to say is for the most part, you guys are WAAAAY over my head with your abilities...so please keep that in mind before you roast my butt!! LOL

My first question is...aren't you saying that if you load mp3's onto a DVD or CD the Z1 will play them? If so, isn't there software already on the Z1 you can utilize? Maybe some sort of path needs to be written in that software to direct it to the hard drive instead of the disc.

Next question...doesn't an ipod play mp3's? (seriously...I have never owned one and I don't know for sure...but I swear my son told me that's what his uses) If so...and you can get an ipod adapter for the Z1, wouldn't it be easier to just add some sort of hard drive and run it through the ipod adapter? I realize it would take more than just a hard drive, but would it take that much more? You could figure out a way to easily remove it or use a laptop, etc to load it, etc.

Please...I know I'm pretty clueless about what you're trying to do here...so please go easy on me. I see the benefits of being able to work with the factory drive compared to adding one...but if that won't work...maybe something like this would.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I posted this comment in the other thread and thought I would copy it here. Other than this...I will try and stay out of your guy's way and just STHU and listen....

Ok...first thing I need to say is for the most part, you guys are WAAAAY over my head with your abilities...so please keep that in mind before you roast my butt!! LOL

My first question is...aren't you saying that if you load mp3's onto a DVD or CD the Z1 will play them? If so, isn't there software already on the Z1 you can utilize? Maybe some sort of path needs to be written in that software to direct it to the hard drive instead of the disc.

Next question...doesn't an ipod play mp3's? (seriously...I have never owned one and I don't know for sure...but I swear my son told me that's what his uses) If so...and you can get an ipod adapter for the Z1, wouldn't it be easier to just add some sort of hard drive and run it through the ipod adapter? I realize it would take more than just a hard drive, but would it take that much more? You could figure out a way to easily remove it or use a laptop, etc to load it, etc.

Please...I know I'm pretty clueless about what you're trying to do here...so please go easy on me. I see the benefits of being able to work with the factory drive compared to adding one...but if that won't work...maybe something like this would.[/quote]

I'll answer with flame off. :lol:

load mp3 on cd and play yes. The software/firmware for this is built into the CD interface and not displayed as a stand alone application. If we could redirect a call to it for this then yes it does exist. Problem is there is no easy way for the normal user to copy the mp3's to the unit and when done getting the player to use what is has to play the mp3's doesn't happen on it's own.

IPOD play mp3, don't know, don't have one. Assuming it does we don't want to add another device to the system. We already bought a nav unit with a HDD. If I wanted to do this anyway I'd just add an external system of some sort to this unit. It has plenty of additional inputs to solve this in that way. The IPOD adapter is a convience item for IPOD users.

The goal here is to use what Pioneer sold us to easily load our music onto it and to increase the space we have for this storage. I've increased the space and can load the files but have not got it to play them yet.
The options for playing we've thought of:
Create our own AT3 files that the Z1 can read
Add another application that can play MP3's

What I know this unit can do is copy the file from a data CD to the unit. This is proved by uploading your own background images and so Pioneer can send out updates to the unit when needed.
The OS is a windows based os - probably CE5.0 automotive.
We can write applications for it but the primary OS is loaded in the memory of the Z1 and not the HDD.
I cannot yet access the memory on the Z1 so I cannot add programs to its windows CE.
There are 5 programs that get called from the HDD by the Z1. Using one of these 5 I think we can load a shell that in turn loads an MP3 player and also loads the original application. Might be tricky but possible.
Better would be to gain access to the memory in the Z1 and change the original player to support MP3 and figure out the command needed on the data CD to tell the Z1 to copy the mp3 files to the HDD on the unit.

This is for fun in my opinion. Adding storage is a piece of cake if you want to spend $40 to open it and buy a larger HDD. Easiest is to image the drive before you ever turn the unit on and save the $40.
We can always spend days burning our mp3's to cd's and letting the unit slowly rip them to the hdd.

On the more than just mp3 loading idea think of this:
It has bluetooth.
It has Windows CE
Windows CE has a web browser.
My cell phone has web services and bluetooth.
Change the bluetooth profile in the Z1 to support the modem standard.
Surf the web live on the Z1.
Instant carputer in a nice small package.
Perhaps one of the ports on this unit (Ipod port perhaps?) is just a USB with a different connector. Seems likely since it is running Windows, fewer drivers to create for Pioneer. This opens up the unit to supporting other devices. 802.11b or g comes to mind. Now I can sync my home PC or laptop with my Z1 wirelessly. Now that would be an easy way to copy the mp3's.
This unit has quite a few possibilities.

I hope this stimulates a few brains better than mine to look at this.....

:D
Change the bluetooth profile in the Z1 to support the modem standard.

This opens up the unit to supporting other devices. 802.11b or g comes to mind. Now I can sync my home PC or laptop with my Z1 wirelessly. Now that would be an easy way to copy the mp3's.

two awesome things I hope for!
[quote name="gerard143"]Change the bluetooth profile in the Z1 to support the modem standard.

This opens up the unit to supporting other devices. 802.11b or g comes to mind. Now I can sync my home PC or laptop with my Z1 wirelessly. Now that would be an easy way to copy the mp3's.

two awesome things I hope for![/quote]

Let me add one I forgot.
Change the XM and TV (if you are using them) to a more PVR style with pausing of live broadcast and recording to HDD.

Now we are getting off topic. "What would it be nice if the Z1 could do" special request thread. Now if only we had a way to make it a to do list instead of a wish list.....
haha the ideas are getting out of control, let's keep it real short term for now, have you tried loading the files into harger HDD and put it back into the nav unit? It may work or it may not (or maybe you already did it I just missed)