AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

Hmmmmm, Curiouser and curiouser. I am unable to lock that Seagate hard drive...

But MHDD's "EID" command says Security is :high, OFF

I wonder if this means this drive is unlockable. Which would make it perfect. What did your drive say when you disabled it Pulp?
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Cirbirus"]Great. The drive I just bought doesn't support the "config" command. What a day...

Oh, and so no one else wastes there time with this drive, it's a Seagate ST96812A 60GB drive I bought at Best Buy. I figured I go with them so I could take it back if it "got messed up" somehow.[/quote]

That's the first of the "new" drives I've heard of that didn't support it. That sucks.

I put an old drive in (8 gig) and got the same message.

EID in MHDD responded with Security high, OFF

I don't see a clear way to find out if the drive supports config. I have been lucky so far as all the drives I tried have.

Edit: I found the specs on the drive you bought and it is ATA-6. This is dissapointing as I was hoping the newer standards were what was needed.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]I just talked to a friend of mine and he has a stack of 4-5 gig laptop drives which he doesn't care if they get locked and never unlocked and I'll stop by tonight (I hope) and see if I can grab one or 2 and try that out. Unless someone else tries this before I get home.[/quote]

Give it a shot but the 8 gig I just tried didn't support config.
Turns out it was't the drive that didn't support it, it was the computer.

I was using a fairly new HQ/Compaq and it just wouldn't let me do it. Might have been a security setting in the BIOS.

I was able to use the config command on one of my computers at home and now I can't use the PWD command to set a password. It actually tells me, "This drive does not support security features." or something like that.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Turns out it was't the drive that didn't support it, it was the computer.

I was using a fairly new HQ/Compaq and it just wouldn't let me do it. Might have been a security setting in the BIOS.

I was able to use the config command on one of my computers at home and now I can't use the PWD command to set a password. It actually tells me, "This drive does not support security features." or something like that.[/quote]

Hmm, my older 8 gig drive was a Seagate. I just tried a Toshiba MK2018GAP, this has ATA-5 support and it does have the config ability.

It may be your PC or it may be a brand issue. Lets collect data on what does and doesn't work and it will be part of the HDD FAQ I'm creating.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Yeah, it was the PC that wasn't letting me do it. The clue is that it said "Security: high, OFF" when I did "EID" in MHDD. On a really old drive I was playing with it didn't say anything at all about security.[/quote]

I got the exact same message on the older drive that supported locking but not config.

The drive I'm playing with now may provide us with some alternatives. (I'm trying my test above)
OK, I've got the new 60GB drive set up with larger partitions and the Z1 didn't lock it so I'm good to go. I did have the Z1 reboot when I was setting the time, don't know if that means anything.

To set up the drive I used [url=http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/]Ultimate Boot CD[/url]which has Free FDisk on it. I formatted the drive using Windows XP and formatted it as FAT32 partitions

I'm going to start working on the audio files now, hope to have something that will at least play on the Z1 soon. Then I'll be able to start messing with the database structure so I can recreate the playlists.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]OK, I've got the new 60GB drive set up with larger partitions and the Z1 didn't lock it so I'm good to go. I did have the Z1 reboot when I was setting the time, don't know if that means anything.

To set up the drive I used [url=http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/]Ultimate Boot CD[/url]which has Free FDisk on it. I formatted the drive using Windows XP and formatted it as FAT32 partitions

I'm going to start working on the audio files now, hope to have something that will at least play on the Z1 soon. Then I'll be able to start messing with the database structure so I can recreate the playlists.[/quote]

Sounds good except for the reboot. I have never seen that. If it is working fine then cool.

GL with audio. I will be trying to insert a lockable disc with a master password set tonight and see what happens to it. I'm hoping for no paperweights when done. LOL I won't pay to unlock this one!
Hard Drive sacrificed.

The Z1 sets both the User and Master passwords.

Test performed was this.

Master password set on drive.
User password left blank
Drive inserted into Z1
Z1 booted
Drive removed from Z1
Drive returned to PC
Master password set in step 1 no longer valid to unlock drive

Anybody want an 8 gig laptop drive cheap?
Well, the 60GB drive is constantly crashing. There are too many variables to be able to tell why.

I'm currently reconfiguring it with smaller partitions but I don't see how that could make a difference. I'm guessing it's more likely a bad copy.

Pulp, when you get a chance can you go into FDISK and tell me the exact partition sizes you have set for each partition?

Damn I should have made a drive image instead of just a file copy.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Well, the 60GB drive is constantly crashing. There are too many variables to be able to tell why.

I'm currently reconfiguring it with smaller partitions but I don't see how that could make a difference. I'm guessing it's more likely a bad copy.

Pulp, when you get a chance can you go into FDISK and tell me the exact partition sizes you have set for each partition?

Damn I should have made a drive image instead of just a file copy.[/quote]

I didn't create the partitions in FDisk, I used the management console in Windows XP. I also didn't use the original size partions on any of them.

From the management console I assigned the partitions as:

LDATA 20000
SDATA 2000
MSV 30000
USER 2000

I was wondering if a file copy would work.....
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
Anybody want an 8 gig laptop drive cheap?[/quote]

Aren't there unlock tools which will kill the data for free? I thought I saw a few but the data isn't safe.[/quote]

Oh, yeah, forgot about that one. Perhaps I will try it tomorrow.

Thx,
Pulp
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
I didn't create the partitions in FDisk, I used the management console in Windows XP. I also didn't use the original size partions on any of them.
[/quote]

Hmmm, that [b]is[/b] interesting. I wonder if I have a bad copy or if the FDISK I used didn't do it correctly (or more likely [b]I[/b] didn't do it right).

The original drive still works fine so I'm going to do a drive image and work with that. Plus I'll need to do a full, real format instead of quick formats. Quick formatting doesn't look for bad sectors so that could also be my problem. That's what I meant by too many variables to really know what's wrong with what I did.

I wonder if we have to use FAT32. The system is Windows, it should be able to read NTFS... famous last words.