AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="docluv01"]Hey, is there any way to get the navi.exe posted? Only reason why I ask is my brother is "resourceful" programmer, he could possibly help shed some light...

if you'd rather not due to legal issues..i totally understand...

Thanks...[/quote]

I'm trying to avoid doing anything that could warrant any action against this board. I don't know Jason and if he wants to expose himself to heat.

A few people now have their drives unlocked and if you indicate somewhere that file could be stored I'm sure somebody will upload it. The entire hdd image will contain enough information to trace it back to the owner if the unit is registered or needed warranty service but the basic files have older, uniform date stamps so it stands to reason they are not coded with any specific to an individual unit.
[quote name="Anonymous"]How do I get to the drive to take it out before powering it on?[/quote]

After disassembling a whole ton of stuff that wasn't necessary I found a half moon slot in the bottom of the case that exposed a gear with holes. I used a small phillips to turn the gear a half moon at a time to open the front panel. No disassembly required!

When my wife saw how many screws and pieces I had all over the table she gave me all kinds of grief for destroying such an "expensive toy". It's all back together now and I'm waiting for a little cooler evening to install it and prove to her that it will still work.

[color=red]Unfortunately the drive was already locked and it had never been powered up.[/color]

I was determined to get an image before it was powered up and locked because I have 30gb of music that I have already ripped from CDs and 10gb isn't going to be enough.

Has anyone succesfully expanded their image to a larger drive and filled it with more than 10gb of content?
[quote name="bfrank4709"] [quote name="Anonymous"]How do I get to the drive to take it out before powering it on?[/quote]

After disassembling a whole ton of stuff that wasn't necessary I found a half moon slot in the bottom of the case that exposed a gear with holes. I used a small phillips to turn the gear a half moon at a time to open the front panel. No disassembly required!

When my wife saw how many screws and pieces I had all over the table she gave me all kinds of grief for destroying such an "expensive toy". It's all back together now and I'm waiting for a little cooler evening to install it and prove to her that it will still work.

[color=red]Unfortunately the drive was already locked and it had never been powered up.[/color]

I was determined to get an image before it was powered up and locked because I have 30gb of music that I have already ripped from CDs and 10gb isn't going to be enough.

Has anyone succesfully expanded their image to a larger drive and filled it with more than 10gb of content?[/quote]

Thx for taking it apart. Sorry it was locked.
I'll save you 11 pages of reading.
Yes, I've installed a larger drive. I haven't put a lot of music in it so I don't know for sure if it will actually hold more. I tripled the partition for music, now its 30 gigs.

I'm taking mine back out to try and get into the core OS in the unit. Maybe this weekend.
If Murphy's law holds true I will NEED navagation the day I pull it out so I'm going to find a thomas bros. first. LOL
[quote name="docluv01"]Hey, is there any way to get the navi.exe posted? Only reason why I ask is my brother is "resourceful" programmer, he could possibly help shed some light...

if you'd rather not due to legal issues..i totally understand...

Thanks...[/quote]

Navi.exe file available.

[url]http://www.bigfloppydonkeyballs.com/~leech/z1hddcopy/navi.rar[/url]
Pulp_Fiction, now that you figured out how to change the background screen, I think I want to switch out the drive and play with some stuff my self. If you don't mind, before getting into this, could I ask a few questions?

If I unlock the drive and just make changes, as soon as I put it back in the Z1 it will re-lock the drive.

If so I will need a drive that doesn't support locking? If so how do I know what does or does not support locking?

Do you have a drive you recommend? Brand/Model?

How did you connect your drive to your computer? Using one of these?
[url=http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705]http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... &sku=17705[/url]
Or did you use a USB interface?

What did you use to copy your partitions from one drive to the other? Ghost? Did you just create the partitions yourself and copy them partition by partition or did you do the whole drive at once and then go back in and change the sizes with partition magic or something?

Sorry for all the noob like questions, been too busy building circuits to keep up with all the threads here ;)
Hmmmm. I've got my drive in an XP machine and it sees the drive but it wants to initilize it before it will let me look at it. I'm afraid that will erase whatever is on the drive so I'm going to boot into DOS and see if I can read the drive.

Hopefully it isn't locked.

Damn, it's locked...
[quote name="ducatiboy"]Pulp_Fiction, now that you figured out how to change the background screen, I think I want to switch out the drive and play with some stuff my self. If you don't mind, before getting into this, could I ask a few questions?

If I unlock the drive and just make changes, as soon as I put it back in the Z1 it will re-lock the drive.

If so I will need a drive that doesn't support locking? If so how do I know what does or does not support locking?

Do you have a drive you recommend? Brand/Model?

How did you connect your drive to your computer? Using one of these?
[url=http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705]http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... &sku=17705[/url]
Or did you use a USB interface?

What did you use to copy your partitions from one drive to the other? Ghost? Did you just create the partitions yourself and copy them partition by partition or did you do the whole drive at once and then go back in and change the sizes with partition magic or something?

Sorry for all the noob like questions, been too busy building circuits to keep up with all the threads here ;)[/quote]

OK, noob status temp granted. :lol:

Yes it will relock it. Use MHDD to disable the security features on the drive before you put it back in.

They ALL support locking (I'm assuming this as it is part of the IEEE standard for ATA-5 and above). Very old drives do not but they are too small anyway. You could spend $$$$ on a 44 pin flash drive. This may not support locking. <--- Ignore this idea, just posted because it it possible, not prefered or tested and is def. more costly.

Any laptop IDE drive should work fine. If you can get automotve drive (like what comes with the Z1) it is advertised to be more shock resistant. I'm using a standard Hitachi laptop drive and it's been fine so far.

To unlock the drive you need to be able to connect it to the IDE channel directly if you use the service I did. The USB connector is helpful but not for unlocking, only for reading and writing later (hotswap ok with this).

Yes, Ghost. Created images off of original drive. Partition new drive with larger partitions. Use Ghost to restore original partions to new drive's partions, one at a time without letting Ghost resize.

I did not try to use a resizing tool like PM but now that we know more about the system (Windows CE automotive) I think that would work too.

That cable adapter you linked to should work fine.

Noob status revoked. Get back to your soldering iron now!!!
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Hmmmm. I've got my drive in an XP machine and it sees the drive but it wants to initilize it before it will let me look at it. I'm afraid that will erase whatever is on the drive so I'm going to boot into DOS and see if I can read the drive.

Hopefully it isn't locked.

Damn, it's locked...[/quote]

If the PC's post sequence sees the drive but Windows XP cannot see or mount it then the drive is locked. A couple of people on here have reported the drives to be locked out of the box. Makes me think Pioneer is powering these up before sending them out or the first poster was mistaken about what he saw.

Use MHDD to check the drives status. It will tell you if it is locked or not.

My newest favorite resource: [url]http://hddguru.com/[/url]
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]OK, noob status temp granted. :lol: [/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]...snip... lots of good information ...snip...[/quote]

That was lots of good information, thanks.

[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]If the PC's post sequence sees the drive but Windows XP cannot see or mount it then the drive is locked. A couple of people on here have reported the drives to be locked out of the box. Makes me think Pioneer is powering these up before sending them out or the first poster was mistaken about what he saw. [/quote]

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I got the unit new in the box, how would I remove the drive without turning it on? Don't you need to power it on to have the front panel lower to get to the hard drive? So wouldn't it be impossible (aside from dismantling the whole unit) to get out the drive before it's locked? Seems worth the $50 for the unlock tool to me.

[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]Noob status revoked. Get back to your soldering iron now!!![/quote]

SIR YES SIR!
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="Anonymous"]is the other file u have there what i think it is?[/quote]

You shouldn't ask questions like that.....[/quote]

Why not? Just say no, it's nothing like what you think it is. It's actually what I think it is. :)