AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
Ducati, I would have picked up one of your circuits but I was one of the early ones that installed a TR7. If I find a use for the TR7 elsewhere I'll get one of your circuits so I can restore the full function of the illumination line (well, not restore but use it for the first time.). My dash illumination runs off of ground not positive so it's hot all the time and I'm too lazy to run the line elsewhere to get the correct signal (GM vehicle). [/quote]

Thanks for the info. If you would like one of my circuits I would be happy to send you one free of charge and a small thank you for all the info you are providing and help you are giving the Z1 community.

I find it strange that your vehicle is a negative illumination wire. Does the head unit take care of this? The wire is 12V all the time and when you turn your lights on it will go to ground? I don't mean to hijack this cool HDD thread, but I didn't know the Z1 could handle this type of illumination wire. Of course if this is the way your car functions and the Z1 will realize it's "backwards" and it will still deal with it, my circuit should be fine as well.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="gerard143"]with a simple relay you can convert - to + or vice versa, its cake.[/quote]

While that is true, if the head unit can handle ground = lights off, 12V = lights on or ground = lights on, 12V = lights off, then a relay is unnecessary. I was wondering if anyone has the "backward" setup and if the Z1 will handle it. If so, you don't need to do anything for my circuit. I would think it would handle it.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]Thanks for the info. If you would like one of my circuits I would be happy to send you one free of charge and a small thank you for all the info you are providing and help you are giving the Z1 community.

I find it strange that your vehicle is a negative illumination wire. Does the head unit take care of this? The wire is 12V all the time and when you turn your lights on it will go to ground? I don't mean to hijack this cool HDD thread, but I didn't know the Z1 could handle this type of illumination wire. Of course if this is the way your car functions and the Z1 will realize it's "backwards" and it will still deal with it, my circuit should be fine as well.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you my address. That will force me to open up the dash again and fix the rest of the unfinished parts listed above too. :)

Brief hijack ok. The thread is growing to the point where a new summary thread as a sticky will be in order once this is mostly solved anyway I feel.

I made a new post on the illumination thing since somebody surely has already solved this some obviously simple way I didn't think of.

[url]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3595#3595[/url]
[quote name="gerard143"]with a simple relay you can convert - to + or vice versa, its cake.[/quote]

As I just posted in the other thread I didn't want to use a relay. I'm sure there is the correct power source somewhere in this car I can use. I just haven't hunted for it yet.
hey pulp where in LA are you? i think im just gonna bring a few hdds and my z1 ( I gotta replacement contract so if i break mine i can get a new one free of charge ) and im in san diego im thinkin we can work on this and get it done

ducati how many of these circuts can you produce ( i gotta friend who wants about 20 of them ) and what kinda duc do you ride ? i gotta 996 and a hayabusa
[quote name="phiberoptik"]ducati how many of these circuts can you produce ( i gotta friend who wants about 20 of them ) and what kinda duc do you ride ? i gotta 996 and a hayabusa[/quote]

I can make 20 of them. It will take me a couple days, but I have made quite a few. I will take an order for 20, if he really wants that many. Just point him towards my post.

And very nice bikes, good choices. In my "stable" I have:

2001 Ducati 996 (yellow biposto with termi CF pipes),
[url=http://www.sminnick.com/IMGP2864.JPG]http://www.sminnick.com/IMGP2864.JPG[/url]
2003 Ninja ZX12R (Akro Pipe, PC3, Filter, 179HP dynoed at the wheel)
[url=http://www.sminnick.com/zx12r/IMG_0258.jpg]http://www.sminnick.com/zx12r/IMG_0258.jpg[/url]
1998 Yamaha V-Max (All new suspension, and Mark's pipes)
[url=http://www.sminnick.com/IMG_0261.JPG]http://www.sminnick.com/IMG_0261.JPG[/url]

And a Polaris Sportsman 800 [url=http://www.sminnick.com/IMGP2866.JPG]http://www.sminnick.com/IMGP2866.JPG[/url]

I love the fast bikes! Can you ever have enough toys?
[quote name="phiberoptik"]hey pulp where in LA are you? i think im just gonna bring a few hdds and my z1 ( I gotta replacement contract so if i break mine i can get a new one free of charge ) and im in san diego im thinkin we can work on this and get it done

ducati how many of these circuts can you produce ( i gotta friend who wants about 20 of them ) and what kinda duc do you ride ? i gotta 996 and a hayabusa[/quote]

Remember, I cannot unlock the locked drive. I payed for that part. What I've done is protect the drive from relocking and imaged a larger drive.

What we did discover was that the drives come unlocked and the Z1 locks them on first use. If you get your Z1 make sure the box is sealed and don't plug it in! Then you can do this at no real cost.

What would be interesting to test is what happens when an unlocked drive that has seen live time in a Z1 (mine for instance) is installed in another Z1. Is there a marriage process that prevents the drives from being moved other than the ATA lock?

Results from testing.
I have captured all the changed files from adding a CD to the system. There are quite a few that get created. They look straight forward but would be a pain to create by hand.

No MP3's would get recognized regardless of name or format. I didn't try one thing I meant to which was change the extention to .AT3 on an mp3 to try and get the Z1 to load it. Perhaps the codec's are present already. Guess I'm tired.

Oh, and I'm in West LA.
Duc- i'm not gonna do the busa/zx12 debate ( hehe ) Nice rides though i wanna get a 748 for a track bike but we'll see how it goes. i'm outta town for another week as soon as i get back i'll get with travis and see how many he wants ( i threw 20 out there as a round number but i know he's gonna want between 20-30 of them )

pulp- would it just be easier to send you up another harddrive and you image it and send it back?
I wonder if you could creat a program to do it all automatically. I would think that you could create a directory of MP3's on your hard drive, and then point a program at that directory and then have it creat and/or convert all the MP3's to what it needs to and then creat new directries on the drive for you. It might not be that tough to write a program to do that. Maybe that will be my next project. :)
[quote name="ducatiboy"]I wonder if you could creat a program to do it all automatically. I would think that you could create a directory of MP3's on your hard drive, and then point a program at that directory and then have it creat and/or convert all the MP3's to what it needs to and then creat new directries on the drive for you. It might not be that tough to write a program to do that. Maybe that will be my next project. :)[/quote]
Once we've got the format needed.. sounds like a plan, I'm playing with stuff this end as well
[quote name="BigFloppy"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]I wonder if you could creat a program to do it all automatically. I would think that you could create a directory of MP3's on your hard drive, and then point a program at that directory and then have it creat and/or convert all the MP3's to what it needs to and then creat new directries on the drive for you. It might not be that tough to write a program to do that. Maybe that will be my next project. :)[/quote]
Once we've got the format needed.. sounds like a plan, I'm playing with stuff this end as well[/quote]

Cool, if you do... OR IF ANYONE does start writing a program to do this, either share that you are working on it or collaborate between others with some software skill. I would hate to spend hours making some program to do this while someone else is doing the same work. I don't care who get the "credit" for writing something like this, I just hate doing double work. :)
The audio file extension at3 is a sony format that was used for minidisk and still is in japan as far as i know. to my knowledge there is no software taht will convert from mp3 to at3 directly you would have to go to audio in between. you can however get some old minidisk software and code your own at3 files. I assume that they have done this to avoid copyright infringement laws and since minidisk is still popular in japan they probably had license for the software already.