AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
You're repeating my earlier work, thx for the double check. :lol:
[/quote]

The onl other way I can think abotu doing it is to get the platters unlocked by screwing with the power connector...

2.5-3.5 Connector -> 3.5-2.5Connector(EXT power here)
PULL THE 44 WAY (leaving power to the drive)
PLUG drive into USB and drive from PC

(if you understand my thinking)
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BigFloppy"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
You're repeating my earlier work, thx for the double check. :lol:
[/quote]

The onl other way I can think abotu doing it is to get the platters unlocked by screwing with the power connector...

2.5-3.5 Connector -> 3.5-2.5Connector(EXT power here)
PULL THE 44 WAY (leaving power to the drive)
PLUG drive into USB and drive from PC

(if you understand my thinking)[/quote]

Yep, had the same idea, see other thread.
To save you the trouble of digging through 5 pages here is what I proposed and think will work but don't want to try. I'm going to go the other route of unlocking and then reading the drive.

I speculate my laptop drive was issued the unlock command by the Z1 and then the lock command when I shut it down to remove it. I have a couple of guesses on how to get into this.

for the following the "test" drive is the one from my laptop that was locked by the Z1.

Connect the "test" drive to an ide channel on a nearby PC
Boot up the PC so it sees the drives bios config.
leave the PC running and unplug the drive
Run an extention cable out of the Z1 HDD bay
Use an external power source to power up the HDD.
Plug in the "test" drive to the extention cable coming out of the Z1
Power up the Z1, bypass the safety switch
leave the Z1 on and unplug the drive from data only
reconnect the drive to the PC
The drive will hopefully be unlocked
Hopefully I can now retrieve or change the password - Still working on this part.
Well, I'm just wondering: doesn't Z1 has to unlock its HDD while using it? If so, what about cutting power off completely (like disconnecting from car's battery) while unit is reading HDD (lets say playind a recorded track) and then pulling the HDD out - will it remain unlocked?
Guest Jake
The drive is brand new, i took it out of a unit at my friends shop in the back, didnt want to use mine :) just incase i messed it up, since the unit was untouched pioneer would still waranty it if it got screwed up :) What type of tools/files should i look for, im not really a computer savy guy, im located in north ca, so if someone is local and know alot they can take alook at the files, possibly copy then. I have to give the drive back as soon as the deck is sold to a customer so that can be any day.
[quote name="Sevkatia "] Well, I'm just wondering: doesn't Z1 has to unlock its HDD while using it? If so, what about cutting power off completely (like disconnecting from car's battery) while unit is reading HDD (lets say playind a recorded track) and then pulling the HDD out - will it remain unlocked? [/quote]

No, the drive actually would need the power to the drive maintained. The drive denies all requests for data to the drive at startup until the password is entered. The drive will automatically be "relocked" when power is removed.

[quote name="Jake"]The drive is brand new, i took it out of a unit at my friends shop in the back, didnt want to use mine :) just incase i messed it up, since the unit was untouched pioneer would still waranty it if it got screwed up :) What type of tools/files should i look for, im not really a computer savy guy, im located in north ca, so if someone is local and know alot they can take alook at the files, possibly copy then. I have to give the drive back as soon as the deck is sold to a customer so that can be any day.[/quote]

Well this confirms all the assumptions I was making.
To summarize:
The Z1 sends an unlock command to the drive at startup. This password is probably unique to each unit. This way the drive can be read by the Z1. The drives effectively auto-relock when power is removed.

On shutdown (or possibly on startup) the drive is sent the User drive lock password. This effectively locks the drive to the Z1 it was installed in. This only needs to be done once per drive unless somebody removes the lock. In the case of a removed lock the drive will be relocked on the next install and powerup.

If Pioneer needed to send out a replacement drive it would arrive unlocked and "marry" to the Z1 it was installed in. This is a good system for them to use.

Pioneer would have the formula to compute the passwords based on serial number so they can unlock each drive if needed for warranty service. <-- Total assumption but reasonable. Otherwise the Master password is set to something only Pioneer has in which case this would likely be the same for all units or revisions. My thought is the first case assumption.

Now for the stuff we really wanted to know as I don't think any of us were wanting access to the drive so we could "steal" Pioneers hard work. We just wanted to copy our music librarys quickly and easily.
The drive is "fdisked" in to 4 partitions. One for maps, one for user music and other stuff and 2 others that are small (.5 gig)
The music is layed out in a ton of folders. The base folder is called music, sub folder OPL01, sub folder OPL001 and inside this folder is the music from the disc you copied.
There are 10 folders at the first level: OPL01-OPL10
Each OPL01 - OPL10 has 100 sub folders so it looks like it's setup to let you copy 1000 cd's. NICE!
The bad news. The music format is not WMA or MP3. The file extention is .AT3 but the compression appears to be similar to 128 mp3 level by the file size.

I would upload one of the files here for you music guys to figure out the format but the smallest one I had ripped is closer to 3 meg and this board has a 2 meg limit. Besides I don't think the board host wants copyrighted music uploads here and I'm not looking to break laws just make this project possible.

Pioneer did a nice job of creating backup directories for all "our" stuff so we shouldn't experience file corruption.
There appear to be playlists created when the files are ripped to the HDD so without finding that format out I doubt copying will do anything. This is assuming we can put our music in a format this unit likes.

I found the current wallpaper in a folder. Big deal, can't we change this anyway???

I also found the clipart for assigning pictures to the address books. They are just jpegs.

Fun to dig through but back to the real questions.
Anybody want to direct me to a souce where I can figure out what type of file format the music is stored in?
[quote name="BigFloppy"]So, did you get a ghost image backup of the actual drive?

If so, I'll send you ftp information (that everyone can use to d/l and "play" with)

Andy[/quote]

Didn't ghost yet but I did get a full copy. I'm looking for a drive that doesn't support the ATA lock and I plan to ghost to it and see what the Z1 does to it. I don't have the ability to "re-unlock" the drive so for now my Z1 is driveless.

PM the ftp info and I'll upload 2.
Yah, if we got an immage, we might be able to remove the hard drive that is locked and get a new hard drive and play with the new one or something. The solution might not be to unlock the original drive, but to load a working image on a new drive and use that new drive. Just a thought.