AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

Thanks for the clarification PF. You definitely seem to know what you're doing and I've very impressed...even if you do drive a Corvette!! LOL (I drive an 04 Cobra) Actually, the new C6 is nothing short of sex on wheels. Gorgeous cars.

I showed all this to my son. He's a developer and a data miner and has done his share of hacking in the past with such things as an X Box, Tivo, etc etc. He had some interesting ideas and I asked him to join the forum and add his .02 to the mix.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Anonymous"]haha the ideas are getting out of control, let's keep it real short term for now, have you tried loading the files into harger HDD and put it back into the nav unit? It may work or it may not (or maybe you already did it I just missed)[/quote]

Yeah you missed it. Been there, done that, it worked.
[quote name="03Aviator"]Thanks for the clarification PF. You definitely seem to know what you're doing and I've very impressed...even if you do drive a Corvette!! LOL (I drive an 04 Cobra) Actually, the new C6 is nothing short of sex on wheels. Gorgeous cars.

I showed all this to my son. He's a developer and a data miner and has done his share of hacking in the past with such things as an X Box, Tivo, etc etc. He had some interesting ideas and I asked him to join the forum and add his .02 to the mix.[/quote]

Good, fresh ideas from a hacker type are what we need. Somebody that can code a hook in an existing .exe or better, dissassemble one would be great.

03Aviator: Not to add any salt, did you see the R & T comparing the C6 (not Z06) with the 07 Cobra? :lol:
Isn't ATA locking done on the controller? You could swap the controller of a different drive onto the pioneer HD to "unlock" it, rip the data, and then put the non-lockable controller back onto the target drive.

Saves $40, but requires some delicate fingers.
[quote name="Hyperite"]Isn't ATA locking done on the controller? You could swap the controller of a different drive onto the pioneer HD to "unlock" it, rip the data, and then put the non-lockable controller back onto the target drive.

Saves $40, but requires some delicate fingers.[/quote]

From what i've read two schools of thought. One is yes that will work the other says, no it is spread across the platters. These are very new drives (automotive line, not laptop) and would have the newest version of the protection if both the above are true.

Try it if you can get a second identical drive and let us know what happens?
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="Hyperite"]Isn't ATA locking done on the controller? You could swap the controller of a different drive onto the pioneer HD to "unlock" it, rip the data, and then put the non-lockable controller back onto the target drive.

From what i've read two schools of thought. One is yes that will work the other says, no it is spread across the platters. These are very new drives (automotive line, not laptop) and would have the newest version of the protection if both the above are true.

Try it if you can get a second identical drive and let us know what happens?[/quote]
I'm looking into it, I want to do some more research before I tear into this thing (ie- talk to pioneer engineers ;-) )
[quote name="Hyperite"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="Hyperite"]Isn't ATA locking done on the controller? You could swap the controller of a different drive onto the pioneer HD to "unlock" it, rip the data, and then put the non-lockable controller back onto the target drive.

Try it if you can get a second identical drive and let us know what happens?[/quote]
I'm looking into it, I want to do some more research before I tear into this thing (ie- talk to pioneer engineers ;-) )[/quote]

ie- talk to pioneer engineers: nobody has tried this. good luck......
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
03Aviator: Not to add any salt, did you see the R & T comparing the C6 (not Z06) with the 07 Cobra? :lol:[/quote]

Yea...I saw. Pitiful. On the other hand, Evan Smith (who can drive) of MM & FF went 12.25 at a buck seventeen in one. That's getting close to Z06 territory. And that was on factory tires with a crapply 2.1 60 ft time. Shoot...my 04 with nothing more than a few simple bolt ons and a tune went 11.88 at 117 at 1000 feet. That IS Z06 territory and makes it a driver's race. Watch out for the new Shelby when it hits the street...it may be heavy, but it still has an underrated 500 hp and that's nothing to sneeze at.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] These are very new drives (automotive line, not laptop) [/quote]

I think most people don't realize this and in fact believe it's a laptop drive. That's good to know PF. Is the larger drive you used a laptop drive or one of the new automotive drives?
[quote name="03Aviator"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] These are very new drives (automotive line, not laptop) [/quote]

I think most people don't realize this and in fact believe it's a laptop drive. That's good to know PF. Is the larger drive you used a laptop drive or one of the new automotive drives?[/quote]

No I didn't use the automotive drives. The regular laptop drives work fine they just might not last as long when exposed to the vibrations.
If somebody was going to try to change the controller then they would need the same drive I assume.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] [quote name="03Aviator"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"] These are very new drives (automotive line, not laptop) [/quote]

I think most people don't realize this and in fact believe it's a laptop drive. That's good to know PF. Is the larger drive you used a laptop drive or one of the new automotive drives?[/quote]

No I didn't use the automotive drives. The regular laptop drives work fine they just might not last as long when exposed to the vibrations.
If somebody was going to try to change the controller then they would need the same drive I assume.[/quote]
Just looked on the Toshiba site about how these drives work... it's stored on the platters too :( Replacing controller cards wouldn't work.
[quote name="ultima"]haha that's a good point, cuz the screen is motor driven.[/quote]

Very good and obvious point. The starter of this post was the one that claimed to first be able to see the folder structure and would be the one to ask. There may be a manual release on the screen that he used to open it first.

A wild guess would be that the Z1 doesn't try to send the drive LOCK command until it is powering down and if you powered it up, opened the screen and then removed all power instead of shutting it down it might not ever send the initial lock command. I have no desire to lock another drive just to test this. I found out that using the USER password you can change/set both the USER and MASTER passwords and I'm concerned this is what pioneers does. To find out I would need to risk another drive or get a logic analyzer. Neither of which sound good to me.