AVIC411.com

New Z2 "bypass/back door" something to check

A new member found this, it's not so much of a true bypass as it is a hack or back door. Does anyone want to try this? It's not a solution or anything but it's a possibility of something. The problem is that it will be locked out initially then it will be unlocked when you start moving.

This is just a copy and paste of what he emailed me.....

The only mod I have is a toggle switch on the e-brake.

1) Power the vehicle and unit with e-brake on and the vehicle in park.

2) Hit the reset button on the lower left screen panel with a pen.

3) Let the unit reboot.

4) I have my unit to output to a rear monitor - I turn on the monitor and see the front screen.

5) Start a DVD and let it play for a few minutes while still in park and e-brake on.

6) Power off the car and turn the e-brake switch off.

7) Wait a few minutes before turning the car and unit back on.

8.) Start the car with e-brake off.

9) At no point should you see the message that the parking brake is inproperly connected, if so repeat from #1.

10) I turn my rear monitor back on before driving again.

11) Start driving and start DVD where it left off.

12) Flip the e-brake switch while driving.

13) Enjoy full video and NAV functions that won't go out so far - I'm up to 150 miles on my vehicle and watched video for an hour.

14) Each time you start the vehicle follow from #8.

15) If you forget to start from #8 and startup/drive with the e-brake on it will detect an improper e-brake connection. Once this happens you have to restart from #1.

This has yet to fail for me and my car states it's fully calibrated.

1. When I've reset the unit one time I also pushed the "restore to factory settings" button, which reset all callibrations back to zero. However, for the last now, 162.5 miles, I haven't reset or restored factory settings without any problems.

2. Yes, I don't flip the e-brake until after I'm moving up past say 25 miles or so. Until then, I have no use of extra nav or video functions. I will flip the switch while stationed in park if I need to. That doesn't seem to affect the unit detecting anything different.

3. Yes, my rear monitor is only connected to the Z2 through RCA cables. I don't enable or disable anything on the Z2.

4. Once I'm moving with the e-brake on, I can fully watch video or perform all NAV functions. I can flip through all menus, back and forth, switch sources, or do whatever without any problems. The only thing is "right after" you hit the reset button and are driving, while it initially callibrates, the NAV isn't very accurate with the e-brake on, it will "freeze" your current location, you can switch to dvd or audio, then back to map and your current position is updated. Mine however, is accurate as I drive now with the e-brake engaged.

Hope this helps.

Some further thoughts.......

1. The "reset" does reset the VSS, GPS, and internal gyro's back to zero. It will tell you the VSS is not connected and the positioning won't be as accurate but who cares. The GPS with e-brake off will recallibrate in minutes. The internal gyros take time. While the GPS is recallibrating the info screen will say "Learning.....initializing sensor" Once the GPS is callibrated the info will change (in my case) to "Learning.....Simple Hybrid" since I have a hybrid vehicle. At this point you can use the switch method and the NAV should be pretty accurate.

2. I will try the NAV today without any changes to video or playing the DVD. I don't think this will matter.

3. The WORST scenario about this mod is that you "reset" the unit once the int. gyros are callibrated...the "temp fix." No big deal really. You have a lot of time to drive between resets. You also have to continue the switch method.

4. The BEST scenario (in my case) about the mod is that you don't have to "reset" the unit once the int. gyros are callibrated, "semi-perm fix." (due to hybrid?....video output....DVD...who knows) and you continue with the switch method.

5. Either case should be reproducible by all owners and provide some temp relief until some of the more "wild" ideas (adding resistors, comparing hdd's, etc) are tested which may take months to figure out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will deffinitely try this tonight but quick question first DB

By E-brake switch does he mean he has it hooked up to the e-brake or just a switch emulating the e-brake. Like a toggle switch...

And if it is a toggle switch..one end will obviously be the e-brake wire and the other will be what? 12v, ground, or acc?

hope you reply soon so I can try this.

You don't have access to anything while stopped when you first start the vehicle. But once you start moving, flip the switch and you should be good to go till you turn the car off. Scary thing, if you have a VSS line working I could probably make an automatic circuit to do this. :)

You don't have access to anything while stopped when you first start the vehicle. But once you start moving, flip the switch and you should be good to go till you turn the car off. Scary thing, if you have a VSS line working I could probably make an automatic circuit to do this. :)

DB,

It sounds like you might be back in business. :D

THANK YOU to whoever discovered this and I am in no way taking credit, just wanted to pass on my instructions and hope you all enjoy your new bypassed Z2's!!!!

He is a member here by the name of Beachdoc. He found it, while is username was getting "approved" here he wanted me to pass this on for people to test.

It's still not as optimum as either bypass for the Z1, but I think you don't need to be moving, there is just an amount of time to wait before you trip the parking brake on...

5 seconds?

20 seconds?

a minute?

Any one want to test this for me?

Stay motionless and do all the reset stuff (or don't, just make sure you are not getting the parking brake pop up warning).... then turn on the parking brake after so many seconds (you can do this with a toggle switch or just apply your parking brake ever so slightly so the car thinks it's not but not really on). And then drive. See how quick we can pop on the parking brake with no error.

It would be easier to keep all this in 1 forum but since 2 were started....oh well....

1. You have to use only an e-brake toggle

2. The VSS must be completely disconnected

3. You only need to reset the unit once with the e-brake on and vehicle parked...but you must start the vehicle from then on with the e-brake off and switch it on only after the unit is fully booted. If you get the parking brake error, then start again from #1 and only turn the e-brake on when video starts to play (initially no video) and moving >25mph to be sure. After you turn on the switch, the video will pop on and all NAV will work as long as the vehicle is running.

4. Once you turn the car off, turn the e-brake switch off and always start the vehicle with it off.

5. If you ever get the parking brake error, you did something different or wrong and will have to reset the unit and start back at #3. Otherwise, you shouldn't ever have to reset the unit again.

6. The only nuisance is the flipping of the e-brake switch.

Hope this helps.

Beachdoc

Check the topic above for more detailed info.

well from what i see the speedometer on the nav doesnt work and my navs already calculated so everything works but the speedometer and also watching tv comes and goes so we got alot of work to do before we congratulate our selves but hey its a start and more than any of us can come up with so it will have to do for now i guess

Ok guys... DB you copied what I pasted into my post last night. The guy that sent this bypass to me ordered off of ebay. I saw he bought it and I emailed him and asked if it really worked. He then copied me what he bought and I posted. Kinda makes you made when you see that you work to help the cause and you get no credit.... long live the cause of breaking the New Z2