AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

[quote name="whtcrxghst"]It will not auto dial but you just have to touch the phone icon on the top right of the touchscree and it will dial it. Great feature

[/quote]

Thats what I meant, so essentially it's a yellow pages as well? Thats freakin' sweet. Now if Pioneer would just ramp up the bluetooth module production!
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="htrdlnc"]
The only problem with the Alpine Bluetooth is that it does not have any advanced features like the Pioneer. So basically it is like a Parrot or Motorola hands-free kit.[/quote]

That's weird, cause I used to have a Parrot CK3100 and I think that has way more features than this pioneer. Sounds better too. The motorola one did stink though.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity what did it do that the pioneer doesn't? It looks like a neat product, I'm running the Handsfree Solutions PFK unit in one of my cars, it has pretty neat voice recognition and such, but I've never heard of the Parrot unit.
[quote name="edrock2000"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]
That's weird, cause I used to have a Parrot CK3100 and I think that has way more features than this pioneer. Sounds better too. The motorola one did stink though.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity what did it do that the pioneer doesn't? It looks like a neat product, I'm running the Handsfree Solutions PFK unit in one of my cars, it has pretty neat voice recognition and such, but I've never heard of the Parrot unit.[/quote]

The Parrot will download your address book automatically over the DUN protocol or over OBEX. Verizon disables your bluetooth on your phones and kills most of the protocols available with Cingular or whoever cause they don't want you sharing ring tones or pictures without you paying them for them. So if you have a Verizon phone (and you hack your firmware) at best you can transfer one phone book person at a time manually to the pioneer. If you don't hack your firmware, you can't do it at all (with the pioneer), you have to enter all your contacts manually. And with the Parrot it downloads them automatically.

And with the pioneer (and I'm assume you don't do the little bypass trick), the only way to use your contact list that you program in manually is to pull over, stop and put on the emergency brake. With the parrot you can do all this while you are moving. If you do the little bypass trick the bluetooth on the pioneer comes real close except that you have to program your addresses one at a time if you have a Verizon phone. If you use the bluetooth while you are driving and as pioneer intended, and you want to make a call, you can bark a phone number at it or call one of your 5 favorite numbers. If you don't remember the phone number and it's in your contact list you need to pull over, and put on your emergency brake to access your contact list. The parrot will let you access it while moving (actually it doesn't even care, it doesn't know if you are moving or stopped). And like the pioneer integrated system, the parrot will play through your speakers and mute your radio when the phone rings.

The one thing the pioneer has is integration with the nav data, the parrot does not have that.

The one thing the parrot does have over the pioneer is that it has GOOD sound processing. The sound processing on the Parrot CK3100 is AWESOME! The processing on the pioneer SUCKS! The pioneer is probably the worse sounding speakerphone for me and VERY bad for people on the other end. Mine has a really bad echo for the people who call me. The parrot sounded really really good.

But other than that they are about the same :)
Wow thanks for that write up ducatiboy! I apreciate it.

I do utilize the bypass trick and I'm not with verizon, so it looks like I'll be in good shape. I have heard complaints about the echoing and voice quality, but since I don't have a BT module yet I have no experience. I will say though that the mic does a good job of relaying my speech since the HU has never had a problem understanding me. I did mount the mic very close to me though. If the voice quality is really bad with the BT unit I will invest in a noise cancelling mic.
[quote name="jkawar"]Sorry....I didn't log in last time. I have a chevy trailblazer and stil can't get the bypass to work. It's been 3 days I've been trying!! :-(. Everything is hooked up per manufacturer spec. The truck has daytime running lights, and it doesn't have a convention pul out/push in typre headlight switch. It one that turns and the only way to turn off the lights are to turn the sping loaded knob to the left which automatically returns back to it's original position and turns of the parking and headlamps. Anyone have any ideas why I can't get this to work?[/quote]

I'm sorry you are having trouble but it does work. It's very much a timing thing. But with your lights on all the time, have you checked your illumination wire? You might need a switch or something extra. Go to your hardware connection screen and it will show the illumination input wire and if it's high or low. If your lights are "off" and that line is low, then figure out what makes that go "high" and make sure when it's booting up, you flip it to high.

First boot up the system and don't try to bypass anything. Go to that hardware connection screen and look at the wire. If you haven't done anything and it's "low", what do you do with your car at night? Do you turn something on when it gets dark? If you do does that line go "high" (it says this on the screen). You need to turn your car on and have it start low, when you see the "now starting pioneer navigation" screen make it go high and then low again. Bypass complete.

Something else to try, look at the nav screen and put it in "driver's view" or that cool 3d mode. Is the sky blue or is it night time. Find what ever headlight swtich you have and turn it on and off, when you turn it on, the sky should go to night sky and then when you turn it off, it will go back to blue sky.

If you can't do this with a switch in your car (like those of us can without daytime running lights) then you need to put in an extra swtich or wait for those of us who are messing with processors to make you a hookup. Or you can just believe us and put in a TR7. Unless you have a different firmware than I have, I would assume all Z1's are the same across the country (at least so far... how many different versions could they have made?).
[quote name="edrock200"]Wow thanks for that write up ducatiboy! I apreciate it.

I do utilize the bypass trick and I'm not with verizon, so it looks like I'll be in good shape. I have heard complaints about the echoing and voice quality, but since I don't have a BT module yet I have no experience. I will say though that the mic does a good job of relaying my speech since the HU has never had a problem understanding me. I did mount the mic very close to me though. If the voice quality is really bad with the BT unit I will invest in a noise cancelling mic.[/quote]

Well, you are very welcome... if you don't have Verizon you should be able to transfer your phone book one and a time.

I have the bluetooth unit installed and the voice quality is very poor from what people tell me. My mic pics up my voice really well to, very good job at voice recognition with my set up as well too. But it also picks up the other people's voices which are on the car's speakers and re-transmits them (I think). Everyone I talk to says they hear a really bad echo, their voice echoed is much louder than my voice. Could it be hearing what the unit is playing in the speakers? Or is it some other problem. It's not the phone, the Parrot sounded really good.

I don't know if a different mic would make a difference. I was thinking of hooking up the mic from the Parrot to see if it makes a difference. My mic is mounted at the top of the A pillar which, me being over 6 foot puts the mic really close to me. It's no more than a foot away. And the front door speakers are near my ankles at the bottom of the doors.

If it was as easy as installing a different Mic, I would have one on order tomorrow. I love the integration and if you do the bypass it's usable, but the sound quality is what is still lacking.
Guest Guest
The installer did the parking brake grounding trick for me so the navigation menu/options are full assesible during driving. However, I can also watch DVD if I do the headlight trick right after I start the car (3 successive On/Off before the AVIC-Z1 fully boots up). True, I have to do it everytime I start the car if I want the DVD to work, but it's a very simple solution, no?
[quote name="Guest"]The installer did the parking brake grounding trick for me so the navigation menu/options are full assesible during driving. However, I can also watch DVD if I do the headlight trick right after I start the car (3 successive On/Off before the AVIC-Z1 fully boots up). True, I have to do it everytime I start the car if I want the DVD to work, but it's a very simple solution, no?[/quote]

Yes, and if you do that trick consitently, you don't need to ground the parking brake, meaning you won't get the extra warning.
Guest Guest
Thanks edrock200 ... Not that I don't want a perfect solution, just that I'm technically impaired. Do you know of any bad side effect of the headlight trick? Meaning would it defeat any features of the unit while the trick is used?
[quote name="Guest"]Thanks edrock200 ... Not that I don't want a perfect solution, just that I'm technically impaired. Do you know of any bad side effect of the headlight trick? Meaning would it defeat any features of the unit while the trick is used?[/quote]

As far as I can tell it has no ill effect on other features but I'm still new to the unit.
Ok, I have a schematic made up, I have to build it and bench test it.

It's a module like the PAC TR7 but there will be no programming. You will need to hook it to switched 12V, ground and take the illumination wire going to the Z1, cut it and put this in between it.

It will keep the illumination line to the Z1 low on boot up, make it high for a second then back low and then after that, it will "pass though" the illumination signal that was normally going to the Z1.

I'm going to build one of these for me (spare parts around the office). If people really want these, I would make up a small run and sell them. If no one cares, then I'll just make it for me. Shouldn't be too expensive to make, should be cheaper than the TR7. If you already have the TR7 programmed and working, I wouldn't pull it out to put mine in. But if you are waiting for something and are afraid about the programming of the TR7 and want an easy install option. Let me know.