AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

[quote name="edrock200"]Just an FYI for those who asked how long this trick works. Drove about 600 miles today to canada in one 5 hour leg and one 4 hour. The bypass worked the entire way, dvd video, navi, etc fully functional.[/quote]

SWEET!
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="outatime"]As far as the illumination goes when installing my Z1 I used the Orange/White dimmer wire from my Mustang harness and connected it ot the Orange/White wire on my Z1 harness. Was this not correct?[/quote]

Yes, I believe that is correct. Can you turn on and off your headlights and watch the "driver view" in the nav system go from blue sky to night time sky (even in bright daylight)? Can you go to the hardware - connection screen and look at the illumination line. Can you turn the lights on and off and see that entry on that screen change from low to high and back to low?

If it never goes high, 03Vic is probably right, your car might realize it's daylight out and is letting you turn on your headlights, but not "dimming" your interior lights (cause it's daylight) so you might need to "fake it out" by covering the light sensor. I don't have any first hand knowledge about this, this is his idea. I have no idea where a mustang light sensor would be, most likely in the dash. Last mustang I owned was an 87 GT, so it's been a while :)
Hello, thank you for the replies.

OK just went out and tested it, the Illiumiation says 'OFF' and I tried the headlights and it didn't change the drivers view at all!

I know for sure the 2 cables are connected ok because I soldered them together!

Any ideas?

Thank you again

Stu
[quote name="Anonymous"]OK just went out and tested it, the Illiumiation says 'OFF' and I tried the headlights and it didn't change the drivers view at all!

I know for sure the 2 cables are connected ok because I soldered them together!
[/quote]

I know this will take a while, but when it's dark out (or maybe you can get into a dark garage or something) do the same thing. Turn on the headlights and see if it changes the driver's view screen or the illumination signal.

Or try taking a big blanket and putting it on top of the dash board. 03Vic is probably right, there is a light sensor that realizes you are doing this during daylight and doesn't illuminate the interior lights.

So you can try to fake out this sensor or you can wait till tonight after dark and do the same thing. Once you see that turning on and off the headlights is changing the driver's view on the nav screen or the illumination level (high/low or maybe it's off/on, I can't remember) in the hardware connections screen. Then try switching the headlights right after starting the car.

Or there might even be a "problem" with some cars with these "intelligent" headlights where even if it was dark, it might take a few seconds to realize it and flashing your lights when powering up the car might be a logistical impossibility. You can unhook the illumination line from the car and just put a toggle switch on the illumination wire from the Z1 if you want to try it. Just make the line go to 12V and back to "floating" or no connect.
Thanks ducatiboy your a star.

Will wait till dark as I don't have a garage (its been turned into a bedroom :) so will see how I get on tonight but to be honest with you I used Sat Nav last night on the way out to eat and I had complaints about it being to bright in the car so I don't think its sensing the change either way!
[quote name="outatime"]Thanks ducatiboy your a star.

Will wait till dark as I don't have a garage (its been turned into a bedroom :) so will see how I get on tonight but to be honest with you I used Sat Nav last night on the way out to eat and I had complaints about it being to bright in the car so I don't think its sensing the change either way![/quote]

Well thank you. As for your illumination problem that's not a good thing. If you are using it at night and it stays bright. Either you didn't solder what you thought you did or the harness for the mustang of that year is not lableled correctly. If your harness isn't labeled correctly you have a couple options.

1. Easy way, just wire up a dip switch and leave it under the dash and connect the ill wire to the Z1 to 12V or nothing depending on how the switch is set. Then when you turn on your headlights you will have to flip a switch and dim the radio too.

2. go on some mustang forums or maybe the12volt.com or something and see if anyone has any knowledge about the illumination wire for your exact car. I would be careful about mentioning bypassing a Z1 cause other people on other forums can be a little sensative about this kind of thing. I would ask about the illumination wire on your new radio not dimming the radio and if there is something special about your car which needs to be hooked up differently. Worse case you can find a wire that feeds the headlights and tap off of that and go though my circuit... I might not run that directly into the Z1, cause I don't know what's in there, but you could just tap off a supply line going to the parking lights or something. As long as it goes 12V when the lights are on and ground when not (or floating cause my circuit has a pull down).

Or, finally, it is hooked up correctly and even when dimmed, it's not really that dim and with people used to seeing little radio buttons lit up and now you see an entire 7in screen lit up, it might have dimmed and you still thought it was too bright. The real test is to look at the connection screen and see if the illumination changes or look at the driver's view, the sky switches to a night sky. The backlight will dim a little bit too but it's not as noticable as the "sun setting and the stars coming out".
If you wired the dimmer to the Z1's illumination wire, thats your problem.

The Mustang has Illumination and Dimmer. The dimmer wire is a variable voltage wire controlled by the headlight switch to dim the dashboard lights.

You want the illumination/headlight wire going to the Z1, not the dimmer.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="edrock200"]Just an FYI for those who asked how long this trick works. Drove about 600 miles today to canada in one 5 hour leg and one 4 hour. The bypass worked the entire way, dvd video, navi, etc fully functional.[/quote]

SWEET![/quote]

Yeah, it was, and the best part is the navigation didn't miss a beat, never one wrong turn and great guidance. I'm EXTREMELY pleased. The only thing I noticed that was slightly odd was it appears the Z1 uses exits as mile markers. I exited a highway onto a rest stop and when I got back on it realized I was back on track but didn't populate "mileage until next event" nor the next road until I passed the next exit on the highway (which wasn't part of the route.) It appears highway exits/entrances are key to it's distance calculations.
[quote name="03Vic-HPP"]When I turn on the headlights in the daytime the interior lights do actually come on, but it doesnt power the dimmer wire on the radio.[/quote]

Weird... maybe you have 2 wires like JasonH said:

[quote name="JasonH"]If you wired the dimmer to the Z1's illumination wire, thats your problem.

The Mustang has Illumination and Dimmer. The dimmer wire is a variable voltage wire controlled by the headlight switch to dim the dashboard lights.

You want the illumination/headlight wire going to the Z1, not the dimmer.[/quote]

Either way, if your unit dims at night and not during the day no matter what you do and if you get my circuit it won't matter. What ever weirdness your car does to keep that illumination line low during the day, it won't matter. As long as it happens for you at night just stick my circuit in between it and the head unit.
Thanks guys for the help

Going to have a dig around tomorrow morning and see if I can't get this all sorted out, have posted a message on a mustang forum to try and find the correct wire to use but from what I can make out its a wire from the headlights switch that goes from 0V to 12v when the lights are on/off.

So the orange/white z1 harness wire is ok for 12v ? I don't want to fry anything!

Thanks again.
Guest GMC-DC
I just had the Z1 installed, but I have a 03' GMC Yukon with the 'Auto' headlights. The trick doesn't seem to work for me - do you think the auto headlight feature has something to do with it?
[quote name="outatime"]Going to have a dig around tomorrow morning and see if I can't get this all sorted out, have posted a message on a mustang forum to try and find the correct wire to use but from what I can make out its a wire from the headlights switch that goes from 0V to 12v when the lights are on/off.[/quote]

It might still be the correct wire. When it's dark and you turn on the headlights does the Z1 dim? Does the driver's view change the sky? I don't know how the illumination wire works for every car. Or exactly which wire it is. Does the illumination trigger the Z1 at night time?

[quote name="outatime"]So the orange/white z1 harness wire is ok for 12v ? I don't want to fry anything![/quote]

It might be the correct wire. It might not be. If it's registering "low" or "off" on the illumination line, it should be fine. You have at most 14.5Volts in that car somewhere. And that line is a sense line. You could probably hook just about anything to it and not fry it. And if you haven't fried it by now, it's probably not going to hurt anything.