AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

[quote name="GMC-DC"]I just had the Z1 installed, but I have a 03' GMC Yukon with the 'Auto' headlights. The trick doesn't seem to work for me - do you think the auto headlight feature has something to do with it?[/quote]

This does seem to be a common question or worry when this trick doesn't work. And it's not the "trick" cause it works on the bench. It's either something weird with your car or a problem with your install.

The "auto" headlights as I see it doesn't mean that you don't have a head light switch and the lights only come on based on it sensing the light level around. From my understanding "Auto" lights for all cars mean you have a light switch, you can set the lights to OFF, PARKING, ON or AUTO.

Auto lights like this will only cause a problem if you are using a PAC TR7 to do the headlight flash pulse, cause the Z1 is looking to see your headlights off when it boots up, then about 3 seconds after power is applied to the 12V switched line, the headlights come on for a second and then off for a second or 2. Then they (the lights) can do anything they want to. Why this is so, is some people hooked up a TR7 to fake a flash on that line when it was powered up. If you have auto headlights and if they are on auto and if it's dark out, when you turn on your car, that line will go high (due to the headlights seeing it's dark out) and the TR7 flashing won't do a darn thing. So you need to put a second TR7 to not let the fact the lights are on as soon as you turn the key signal come through to the Z1 till after the first TR7 has compleated the flashing.

If you have auto headlights and you DON'T have a swtich to turn them off, on parking, or auto, then this doesn't apply to you and you have a car that functions different than I have ever seen (and that is very possible).

If you do have auto headlights and you DO have a switch, just turn the lights to off. Then when you turn on the car, switch the light to parking, and then off again.

This is all based off the ILLUMINATION line (labeled ILL on the wire in the back of the Z1). It doesn't really matter what your headlights are doing as long as that line is floating (or grounded) when it's booting up, then it goes to 12 volts for a second and then back to floating or grounded.

We can get into DIMMER vs. ILLUMINATION but I only have a "dimmer" line in my lincoln Avaitor which powers all the interior lights using a signal not just 12V high. And the Z1 picks that up as well. But just connecting it to 12V is enough to try this.

Before even trying this little trick. Turn off your lights. Turn on your car, let the unit boot up. Go to Settings - Hardware - Connections. And look at that Illumination selection. Turn on and off your headlights. Does that go from OFF to ON (or LOW to HIGH, I can't remember which it says)? Turn your lights off, does it go back. Or go to the "Driver's View" in the navigation screen. Does the sky go from blue to night with stars.

If it doesn't (and you are doing this at night time) then there is something wrong with your Z1 or your installation of it.

If it doesn't and you are doing this in bright daylight, you might have a car smart enough not to dim your radio when it's light out. Try this at night or put a blanket over your dash (or where ever your senser is) to make it think it's night time.

If it does (the sky changes or the illumination changes value) then your timing is a bit messed up. Power on the car with the key, wait 3 seconds, parking lights on, wait a second and 1/4 ish, parking lights off.

Trust me, this trick works. But the timing can be a little hard to get the feeling of. Or you might have a car with weird interior wiring. If you disconnected the ILL line from the back of the Z1 from what ever you have it connected to now, and connect it to a toggle switch, and the other side of that switch is just 12 Volts from the battery. And you use the toggle switch instead of the head light switch it will work. I just don't know how every car out there uses it's ILL line (when it goes on or off or what ever).
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks for the info edrock and ducatiboy, I do belive that when I turn on the parking light it kinda dims, I know when the hid comes it def dims so I'll gues it will work.
I also had a another question I just realized today that my factory radio has 2 pins that pulls the radio out instead of taking apart the dash ? I don't think it has a cage like other double dins, so would this be a problem for the install of a avic Z1 if I get one and one if someone decides to break into my car 1 day to easly steal it lol
I'm also relieved they sell wiring kits for my car so I dont have to cut the wiring. Thanks a million guys
So I finally got this to work and thought I'd post to possibly help others that may have been confused as well. What I think I learned (may not be right but works for me):

You must disconnect your ebrake wire on the Z1 if you want to use this full time. Basically what I notice is that when the system detects a change in the ebrake (if you have it hooked up correctly) it will remove the bypass and relock the unit. This isn't a big deal I guess if you release your ebrake before you start your car and never use it again for the remainder of the trip, but generally isn't the order I do things in. I was trying over and over to get it to work by leaving the ebrake up, doing the "trick", and then letting the ebrake down. This did not work for me. I'm not sure if others just make sure to put down their ebrake first? I read some reports of that here but then others said it didn't seem to matter. So I'm just reporting what I found.

The timing appeared to be a bit tricky for me personally. Now that I have the hang of it, I seem to be able to do it every time but at first I Think I was waiting to long and trying to do it too early. I'm not sure but doing three short pulses right after the unit first displays something seem to give the best results.
I can verify that the one flash on the parking lights DOES continue to work after 3hrs. of driving. Pb is grounded. At star-up...flash once during the initial start-up screen.
[quote name="Anonymous"]I can verify that the one flash on the parking lights DOES continue to work after 3hrs. of driving. Pb is grounded. At star-up...flash once during the initial start-up screen.[/quote]

Do you still get the ebrake warning if you use this bypass and ground the ebrake?
[quote name="outatime"]Thanks guys for the help

Going to have a dig around tomorrow morning and see if I can't get this all sorted out, have posted a message on a mustang forum to try and find the correct wire to use but from what I can make out its a wire from the headlights switch that goes from 0V to 12v when the lights are on/off.

So the orange/white z1 harness wire is ok for 12v ? I don't want to fry anything!

Thanks again.[/quote]

I'm fixin to be in the same boat here, (once I get home). I plan on installing the Z1 in my 05 GT Vert. As such, I am watching this thread for some answers. I'm not really after getting DVD usage as much as full Nav functionality while moving.

The 05+ does have a light sensor, (it backlights the instrument cluster which varies with outside illumination). But no daytime running lights or auto lights.
as a side point, at night I dont have to "flash" my headlights, if I wait to turn my lights on until the screen is booting up, it unlocks the unit. I have only done this twice, but it has worked both times.

Also I have a ford f-350 2006 and when I first had it installed, the dimmer on the Z1 didn't work (at night it would blind me). when I took it back they said that my factory harness does not have the correct wire to hock up to. (They told my why but I forgot what they said). So they ran a illuniation from the Z1 to a factory wire from the parking lights and everythng works great. Hopefully this might help those of you that are having problems with late model Fords.
hey guys....back again here. i am going to attempt to connect my Z1 Illum. wire to my 05 F150. Is there anything special that I should know? Or is it as simple as connecting the 2 ORANGE wires???

thanks
[quote name="southcounty"]hey guys....back again here. i am going to attempt to connect my Z1 Illum. wire to my 05 F150. Is there anything special that I should know? Or is it as simple as connecting the 2 ORANGE wires??? [/quote]

On my Lincoln Aviator (should be a similar wiring scheme) it was just that simple. I just connected the 2 orange wires.