AVIC411.com

I had the same problem with 2 Z1s and had them both swapped under warranty. Now I am stuck with a Z2 as a replacement. When I called Pioneer tech they said that this didn't seen to be a big problem because they have not heard much about it. I knew they were full of it.

so the bottom line was they couldn't fix your z1 and had them replace with a z2. i think they knew what the problem was but won't disclose the information. i think it's a recall product.

my z1 should be done sometime this week. can't wait to find out what's their resolution.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the bottom line was they couldn't fix your z1 and had them replace with a z2. i think they knew what the problem was but won't disclose the information. i think it's a recall product.

my z1 should be done sometime this week. can't wait to find out what's their resolution.

I have to disagree, this issue was on my Z2. If it was a recall product, they would have to recall most of the Z2s as well.

Today I parked my car under sun with closed windows and it was close to 90 degrees outside. When I got back to my car, Z2 loaded fine, but I wasn't able to enjoy it b/c it was tooooooo hot :)

dimaj

i got my z1 back from pioneer today. i have not yet install. this is what they wrote in the service comment: NTF, RESET UNIT. i called pioneer to find out what does it mean. he said my z1 is no-trouble-found (NTF), only a reset is done. all my mp3s are gone. they tried to duplicate the problem and didn't find any.

he also mentioned to connect my z1 to a regulated power supply and try a different ground source.

well, i'll let you guys know when i get it installed soon.

I'm sorry, but this is BS!

Who did you buy your unit from? Can you still exchange it with them? Or maybe buy extra warrnty through them and then exchange it immediately?

I'm really dissapointed with Pioneer!!! I will NOT recommend ANY Pioneer products to ANYONE!

There's a problem with units and they are not willing to work with their clients on a solution instead they take an easy route - NTF shit! I understand that they are trying to protect their assets, but still they have to at least try to work it out!

dimaj

Well, I live in Houston and I got my first freeze today when I left work. Same story as everyone else. It was hot today, started the car and got the Pioneer screen.

I pulled over and turned the car off and restarted...nothing but Pioneer screen. I hit the reset button...same thing. I then held the reset button down for 10 seconds and the unit started working again, but the GPS thought I was still at work.

I got to my kids day care, shut the car off and restarted and everything was fine...including GPS location.

I'll start using a sunshade and hope this doesn't happen again.

That should definately "cure" the problem, but why do you have to use a sunshade to make a $2,000 system work?????????? That just pisses me off!

BS is right. i have a feeling that i'll be sending it back to pioneer on a same problem.

When you send it back, tell them to put it in a hot room for a few hours while it is off. I'm pretty sure that they are NOT going to install it into a car, but by leaving it in the car under hot sun (with sun shining DIRECTLY at the unit) should prove them wrong (hopefully)

dimaj

That should definately "cure" the problem, but why do you have to use a sunshade to make a $2,000 system work?????????? That just pisses me off!

Yeah, it irks me as well, especially living in the South where its generally warm year-round. However, there is no consumer right in this country. I can say this definitively after having been one of the original owners of an Omnifi (google it if you don't know the story). That thing sucked and was released by Rockford so that the retail consumer could beta test it. If this is the only real issue I have for two to three years and keeping it out of direct sunlight fixes the problem I'll be satisfied.

I guess you're right... I'm just hoping that whatever I buy will work as advertised, but me being in the software development world, I know that's not practical... :(

However what I find even more bizzar is that people have been complaining about this issue (both Z1 and Z2), sending it back to Pioneer for repairs and Pioneer would not hear them out and try to investigate deeper to make sure this won't happen again! All they do is just send it back with comments "not reproduced". I guess what's bothering me the most is that usually when a company releases a faulty product and somebody complains about it, they do the best the can to make sure that client is happy. From what I've been reading here, people are getting units they sent out with words "not reproduced"...

dimaj

I am having the same boot screen problem with my Z1. I live in Arizona and a couple weeks ago it started for the first time. Now it's happening more often as the heat is increasing here.

I park my car in the garage at home so when I leave for work in the morning it has never frozen up yet, but when I park in the parking garage at work, when I leave for lunch, or when I leave for home at night it happens frequently now.

I also did the CDDB update discs, but like I said, I haven't noticed any problems at all until summer started here. It seems like it's definitely related to the heat, but who knows.

It's installed in a 06 VW GTI, so the American car ventilation theory doesn't apply to me.

I have submitted a support ticket to Pioneer asking for any resolution. I'll update if I hear anything back, but from listening to all of you, it doesn't sound promising.

I don't remember anything like this happening last summer.

Also, does anyone know if that is just a standard 2.5 inch Hard Drive that's in that slot behind the faceplate?

JT

Behind the faceplate there's a Toshiba mobile hard drive. It is the same as a laptop (2.5") but it can withhold much higher vibrations and temperatures.

I have read someplace here on the forums that Pioneer works only with Toshiba drives...

dimaj

Toshiba 4032 GAX. $44.95 at Chief Value online. This HDD is 40GB and 5400RPMs :wink:

I live in the southwest with daily temperatures >100 degrees F and have had no start-up problems with the unit "freeze up" using this HDD

search it on this forum and get some more info.

For those who are having Freeze Startup issue,

I was curious if there is any correlation with how much HDD space is used.

Can those with the freezup issue chime in on terms of how much % is taken up my music files?

I have 95% space free (only 5% used). So I'm wondering if the more songs I put, the more suceptible i am to system freeze.

Thanks.

I'm at about 70% free space. I believe there are some on here that have done a complete refresh and they still have problems. I think the problem is heat related no matter how much disk space is taken up.

Because there is an internal temp monitor, does anyone know if the software automatically shuts down the HD at a certain temp?

I don't think that HDD gets shut down... But I think that it starts to mis-read and throws a lot of reading errors. As a result, OS can't finish boot-up process and freezes at the point where it was left.

As far as a HDD usage, I had about 20 albums when I first started to experience these problems. Then with a lot of pain in my heart I did a complete reset (removed all my addresses, music library and phone book) and still had some issues.

dimaj