AVIC411.com

Drive Image/ISO begging and supplying

I'm very familiar with usenet, and I agree that this is the best way to go. I don't know why I didn't think of it in the beginning of the thread!

Please make a post when you complete the upload, with information on what group it was posted in. I'd like to start d/ling it as soon as possible. :)

I'd also be willing to contribute to the cause, if it costs you anything to post it. I know most of the usenet services a month to month, so at most it should cost you a month's membership to your favorite nntp service.

Dave

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFMagnum

I'm glad you're going usenet. I've been using it for years. It's a great way to get huge files. I know what a pain it is making the PAR files and splitting the original into smaller, postable files though. I would also be happy to kick you a few bucks for your trouble and use of your upload bandwidth if you'd setup a paypal, and I'm sure a lot of the other guys would too.

I'd actually be happy to buy the disks from Pioneer if they would make enough friggin copies to sell me one. LOL

Howdy guys..

May I make another suggestion?? BitTorrent. I've used it to distribute an 8 gig Nav disc image for another unit before, and it worked out pretty well. I'd be happy to be the tracker for the torrent session. I can coordinate a few seeders first ( those that spend a day or so online to get it all first ), then those seeders stay online and the masses can have at it. In 2 weeks time, I saw over 10 TB of data xfer with the torrent session I did before.

For those that don't know about BitTorrent, it's a distributed peer to peer transfer method. The original file/files are split into MANY small chunks. Each client that is downloading the file, also sends out copies of the chunks they already have. There is no way for malicious people to gain access to your own personal files with this method, it is 100% ONLY the file you're currently downloading.

It would be best if after a client finishes the download, they leave the software running for at least 24 hours. This will allow them to seed other downloaders. ( the more FULL copies available online, the quicker everyone else gets their copy completed. )

AFMagnum, PM me if you want to go this way...

Thanks,

LK

Torrents suck, they are slow, and it depends on someone to always to seed it. Newsgroups are ALWAYS fast and doesn't take anyone's bandwidth once it's uploaded, and they are made for transferring large files like HD movies etc. Plus only I have to upload it and once I am done everyone can download at full speed and have the files within hours, WAY quicker then any torrents that will take days to transfer the files until enough people have downloaded it. Anyways I have created a group alt.binaries.avic.fileshare with my NG provider Usenetserver.com I will upload the files that AFMagnum will send me, then what you want to do with it is all up to you, if you want to start a torrent and seed it go right ahead but I'm sticking with uploading it to the NG's.

Wow... Seems as if you've experienced the worst in torrents.

While some of your points are accurate ( torrents do require seeders to be online, and everyone does contribute part of their own bandwidth), I've gotta disagree on your suggestion that Newsgroups were made to transfer large files like HD Movies. They were really designed as the first non-realtime mass collaboration medium, and were indeed text only areas. If they had been designed for large file transfers, then there wouldn't be a need for all the file splitting / formatting / reassembly tools that people use to put such files on NNTP servers.

Bittorrent on the other hand WAS designed for distributing large files to large quantities of people very quickly, and without a massive impact on any one primary provider's bandwidth. They have had problems with speed on files which aren't very popular, or where the audience was not tech savvy enough to allow the outbound traffic. The outbound traffic issue is getting better of late due mostly to UPnP and NAT traversal technologies.

Alas, I have no problem sucking the files from an NNTP server. Was simply providing another possible solution to the same problem.

Thanks to all who are contributing their time and bandwidth to this cause!

LK

Excellent news...although I already bought the upgrade CD. You might already know and do this (if so I apologize), but just in case you dont; split the file up. I sometime (not often anymore because of the problems)use FTP to move around large datasets and have found that sometimes it bombs out and you have start all over. Just a suggestion. Congrats on the image, I'm sure everyone will want to buy you a drink :D .