AVIC411.com

Freezing on startup... YES ANOTHER ONE!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes if you read the whole thread in the 2 you posted with your problems youll get a good background on whats going on.

mine did that like yours you need to do the bypass update ISO for one

second the heat has different effects on each HD in its own way and how much heat the HD was subject too

I did the iso bypass update, two wire ground bypass. Unit was working fine for about 2 weeks and started freezing up at the splash screen. I tried at night when the temperature was in the 60's and the unit still freezes. I then tried again this morning when it was 57 degrees and the unit will not get pass the splash screen.

Its been raining and in the low 70's and when I got home from work tried to start it up again, and still same results.

I guess my only option is to contact pioneer and send it in, since its still under warranty.

I'm having the same problem. I just removed my unit to send in. The tech at Pioneer was poo pooing our theories stating that the unit needs a 14 gauge wire direct to the battery itself and and a direct ground for the HD to run properly as (he says) is stated in the install directions. Hes stated that the HDs are not getting enough juice and that's why they are failing.

Don't kill the messenger....

Pioneer just emailed me a survey for the Z2. I basically told them that it was a POS and that their tech support was full of it.

I work in San Bernardino where it gets into the high 90s during the summer and my Z2 has frozen everyday last week. It's fine in the morning but when I leave in the afternoon... no joy. I recently stuck 3 video card coolers on top of the Z2 which seems to cool it a lot faster but for a $2200 unit this is F'n absurd.

Pioneer was more worried about law suits from people having accidents while watching DVDs than from consumers being ripped off on equipment that only works during fair weather.

Funny thing... Pioneer no longer takes walk-in service requests. I am 15 miles from their Long Beach location. They must be overwhelmed or just ashamed to look you in the eye.

The tech at Pioneer was poo pooing our theories stating that the unit needs a 14 gauge wire direct to the battery itself and and a direct ground for the HD to run properly as (he says) is stated in the install directions. Hes stated that the HDs are not getting enough juice and that's why they are failing.

The only reference in the manual to direct connect to the battery is on Page 3 & it says not to directly connect the power lead to the battery.

There is no reference to the manual to a 14 Guage wire.

I plan to monitor the voltage on the yellow wire when I get mine back from the warranty repair to see if there is a problem with the supply voltage. Maybe the HD needs to have a delayed startup when the vehicle is being started.

Here is the link to the manual on the Pioneer support site:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 52,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

My Z2 has froze for the first time yesterday when leaving work. I to believe its heat related. I had radio ,cd ,xm, hard drive functions with remote. None of the face buttons worked except face down left it down and felt back and it was very warm to the touch, as soon as it cooled down i switched key off ,on and like magic it returned to normal. My question is its close to no warranty time, should i send it in or live with it. :roll:

Assuming the freeze up problem you had is similar to what I experienced the frequency of the freeze ups will increase and they will happen at lower temperatures.

I would send it in once you have had a few more freeze-ups along with a description & timing of the events, before the warranty expires. You may need the unit to deteriorate some more so it does not get returned "NTF". You will need a copy of the sales receipt.

for those with questions regarding this issue.

it is a toshiba HD problem, it wil get worse as time goes and people\users are confused because there are two problems hardware and software.

hardware meaning the temp threshold is lowered and possible as a few have reported the HD itself my have degraded. the problem with the software\drivers is its hard to tell if its read errors or software\drivers not letting the HD read properly.

i thought my HD was toast but after the bypass new files it does just fine if you already have the new files and the problem gets worse you may want to try and delete/format the drive and re-image the drive to replace boot files from a clean image.

if you go through the nightmare of sending it to pioneer to get NTF and then send it back in another time if you have a warranty to get a new unit your only going to get another weak HD and after the first hot day start this whole ordeal again.

I HAD MY FIRST Z2 INSTALLED IN APRIL , IN JUNE IT WAS REPLACE WITH ANOTHER EARLY PRODUCTION UNIT. IN THE CASE OF BOTH OF THESE UNITS THEY STARTED TO FREEZE, ON BOOT WITHIN 6 WEEKS OF INSTALL.. TODAY DEALER INSTALLED A MANUFACTURE DATE OF JULY UNIT AND I WAS TOLD THAT THIS UNIT PLUS AN UPDATE TO BE RELEASED BY THE END OF THE MONTH WILL CURE THE PROBLEM WITH BOOTING IN HOT WEATHER...I HOPE I AM

GETING A STRAIGHT AND TRUE STORY OR I AM GOING TO USE THIS UNIT AS A $2200.00 BOAT ANCOR..

How about remote mounting the hard drive using a long cable?? I pulled my drive out the other day and it was damn hot, I'm thinking of getting a long mini ide cable and seeing if I can mount the drive somwhere else in the car, out of the enclosed heated brick it lives in.

you know what strange... is I bought mine in March of 06 and maybe 3 times it overheated... the thing is ... I reinstalled everything after it was installed and found wiring that did not meet the 10 pound pull test for those of you who know about that.... well after I did that I have had no more freeze issues. But I also did the Z1 to Z2 update disk.. I live in Houston, TX and that last few weeks we have been in the 99 to 105 range of heat. I use no sun shade or anything and the unit does not over heat. I have a 2006 F-150 and it gets hot on the unit that is for sure... but it seems to work now with no problems. I would say check all your connections in the wiring and make sure none are loose.

you know what strange... is I bought mine in March of 06 and maybe 3 times it overheated... the thing is ... I reinstalled everything after it was installed and found wiring that did not meet the 10 pound pull test for those of you who know about that.... well after I did that I have had no more freeze issues. But I also did the Z1 to Z2 update disk.. I live in Houston, TX and that last few weeks we have been in the 99 to 105 range of heat. I use no sun shade or anything and the unit does not over heat. I have a 2006 F-150 and it gets hot on the unit that is for sure... but it seems to work now with no problems. I would say check all your connections in the wiring and make sure none are loose.