AVIC411.com

Freezing on startup... YES ANOTHER ONE!

you know what strange... is I bought mine in March of 06 and maybe 3 times it overheated... the thing is ... I reinstalled everything after it was installed and found wiring that did not meet the 10 pound pull test for those of you who know about that.... well after I did that I have had no more freeze issues. But I also did the Z1 to Z2 update disk.. I live in Houston, TX and that last few weeks we have been in the 99 to 105 range of heat. I use no sun shade or anything and the unit does not over heat. I have a 2006 F-150 and it gets hot on the unit that is for sure... but it seems to work now with no problems. I would say check all your connections in the wiring and make sure none are loose.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the update alone fixes allot of the freezing problem the other thing to realize is that these HD,s fail at different temps mine lasted 100 degree plus days for a long time [2 months] with no shade but began to fail and then got worse.\

the remore HD is a good idea and i was thinking the same thing. theres also the 85C HD to consider

I feel for you guys...but I doubt its heat as I am on my second unit (warranty replacement) and its already doing the same as the first after 1 month..it will do so weather it is 90 or 70 degrees out.

if it is heat why dont htey program the fan to cycle while the car is shut down?? just a thought...it couldnt take that much power from the batt

I am still awaiting a call from a pioneer customer service manager, its only been 3 weeks whats the rush??

I am very tempted to flebay this unit and spend a bit more money on a WORKING alpine system

I received my unti back in april and about two months ago it started to skip and freeze the screen on start up. I got my online and got it professionally installed. No biggie as I was sick so I did not install it myself, but I would hate to send this thing back only for them to replace it and have the same problems. How do we officially complian and demand a fix. I'm worried we are going to get screwed in the long run and we some how need to get a collective complaint going...

timvan next time your unit doesnt boot pull out the HD put it in front of your AC duct for 2-4 minutes then reinstall and it wil boot then you will have no thought other then heat. its heat end of story it gets worse as time goes by to where it wont boot at lower temps as well. the bypass fixed the freezing at lower temps with my unit

I feel for you guys...but I doubt its heat as I am on my second unit (warranty replacement) and its already doing the same as the first after 1 month..it will do so weather it is 90 or 70 degrees out.

I live in MA and it does not reach triple digit temps here very often, usually every few years. My unit has been f*cking up at the same temps as yours. My car (07 Honda Civic Si) has a very arge windshield that lets in a lot of heat and the navi is pretty much right on top of the dash. On a 75 degree day my unit will easily mess up, but if I turn the ac on and then restart the unit a few mins later it's fine. I didn't want to believe the heat issue but I think that really is a main cause. One day my unit would not start after a few quick local trips and when I got home I pulled the drive (it was very hot, I would not want something that hot in my home computer) I popped it in the freezer for 3 mins or so and put it back in, totally fine, the library even worked. Once it soaked up some heat (the unit was still hot as hell and the car was off) it started skipping songs again.

I really want to try remote mounting this drive. I'm going to search for a long data cable now. I know I've seen them, I used to have a carputer and a few people had long laptop hard drive cables on mp3car.com

It's a good thing I love this unit so much or else I'd put my fist through it.

ok, long 44 pin IDE cables for laptop hard drives do exist! I'm asking for a quote for an 18" one from a guy who can make them in custom sizes on ebay. That should be long enough to get it down low in the dash into a custom enclosure with a little fan in it and away from the heat. Only issue I see is getting the cable out of the avic. May take some thinking...

OK. Add one more person to the list of freezes. I am also certain that heat is the culprit. I am south of Houston and just got frozen all the way home from the office. Resets wouldn't fix it nor would turning car off turning back on. I talked to Pioneer on the way and they gave me the "14 gauge wire" fix. So I stopped at the store to pick up some wire and when I got back in the car - guess what -- unit is working now! It has been going on for a few weeks and is progressively getting worse.

Has anyone had luck with the thick wire? Just curious before I go ripping up my dash again.

First,

Can't believe one user would say that it’s "an heat" issue and be fine with it. Call me picky, but I was not one of those guys who wanted the bypass, did not care if we ever got personally. I felt this way because that's not what the unit offered initially when we purchased it. I can live with that, I can not however live with the fact that I can only use my unit on certain days and as I go on less and less....I wrote pioneer and they told me that I had to send the unit in as well. If they are going to replace with the same issue unit, I will only have another issue come next summer or winter.....They should fix this issue....

Does anyone know were we should begin....