AVIC411.com

AVIC Development Mod - Developer Debug Menu

Introduction

Following The AVIC Development Mod, we would like to introduce a new Debug menu that was discovered by examining the Av.apk. This mode seems to be one of the developer menus that Pioneer themselves used to develop the software.  It seems to be compatible with all decks that The AVIC Development Mod is compatible with.

This menu includes but is not limited to:

• USB OTG Switching (We have yet to see this truly working)
  • Boot Mode Changes (No need for bsp flashing)
  • Stock Android Developer Settings Menu
  • Sensor Debugging
  • Logcat Log Levels
  • Component Logging
  • Creating the WARP Snapshot
  • Creating the UserData Snapshot
  • Saving off the device database
  • Saving off logs
  • Displaying CPU usage imanformation

How To:

1. ​Select Off in the Source Settings
  2. There are 3 invisible buttons on this screen. See the image below for a picture of the screen, with the Layout Guides Enabled.   
  3. post-116652-0-04089100-1439505621_thumb.jpg
  4. There are 3 boxes in the center screen those are the invisible buttons, for reference we will designate them buttons 1-3 left to right.
  5. Enter the following sequence on the buttons: Button 3, Button 1, Button 3,  Button 1, LONG press Button 2.   The first 4 presses should be normal button presses, not long presses.
  6. When done correctly you will receive a password prompt. Enter DEVELOPDBG ON There are 2 other passwords but they have just a subset of the options that this one has.
  7. Click Ok.
  8. You will be taken back to the Off screen. Press and hold Button 2.
  9. You should now be in the development menu.

Sequence How To: https://youtu.be/kK4mQTn6HSs

Menu Options:   http://youtu.be/F5cOwyQj1N8

FAQs

What is this mode?

A: It seems to be a developer mode that Pioneer uses at the factory.

Why use this over Testmode or the BSP?

A: This mode is safer to use as it is built into the device instead of having to flash your BSP, where something could go wrong.  This is also easier to access as it does require specific files on your USB Key. However this does have limitations as it does not have all of the modes that Testmode has.

What is Needed

With the discovery of this mode, it is clear that there is a way to get ADB access with OTG and the developer settings found here.  Especially since it seems this is the mode that Pioneer has used to aid in the development of the NEX.

Sadly every combination of cables and modes we have tried as not worked as of yet. If you find a combination that gets you ADB or have an idea. Please drop it in the thread.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on 4100 ! Correct the button, its 3 -1 - 3 -1 - 2 long press, like the video. Since im on my holidays, i will borrow my laptop from the job to test the ADB. 

I have a longer list menu than the one on the BassRock video and i have this setting for the ADB.

IMG_0053.jpg

WOW that is very interesting that you have those options!

Also I fixed the button sequence sorry about that!

have been exploring the 8100 /system partition extracted from the PRG using the methods in AVIC.sh. 

It looks like the av.apk debug mode  indeed has a ton more stuff than that of the x000 series av.apk. Also in both x000 and x100 series the debug menu makes system changes by calling methods in framework/framework2.jar's DebugModeServiceProxy class. These methods are just wrappers for native JNI functions, however.  

Unfortunately, we can't just drop the x100 series av.apk in since it at the very least relies on the DebugModeServiceProxy functionality in framework/framework2.jar. We will have to transplant both the app and framework folders into the x000 series. 

Has anyone already tried  replacing the x000 app and framework folders with the x100 app and framework folders? 

• 1 month later...

Wow ... It's really fantastic to see developments on these units!

I'm not sure I can contribute anything, but I can't begin to imagine how awesome it would be to have a custom launcher and all Google apps available.

(I'm actually a .NET developer with some experience with C and a little Java, but I've never debugged Java and don't know much about Android.  I'm tempted to fool around with my 8000-NEX but I just don't think I'd get very far...) :(

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...