AVIC411.com

I think you are confused about what dual-zone is. Dual-Zone means sending one source (DVD or AV input for example) to rear screen(s) while listening to another source through the vehicle speakers. It will NOT do that

It WILL do what you are describing, which is display the map screen on the deck, while sending the movie to the rear monitor(s) and sending the movies sound through the vehicle speakers.

So what I'm trying to understand about dual-zone is whether that just pertains to multiple audio sources or whether it means that I can't send DVD video to an alternate screen and have the NAV up on the head unit at the same time. I don't care if the audio is a single source, say from the DVD, what's important is that video can play to an alternate screen while the head unit has the capability of displaying something else even if there is no audio. Like was stated before in other posts, if you have an SUV or truck and kids in the back then you would know exactly why this is important. I can't believe that Pioneer would introduce a new model and then take a feature like this away.
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was an external device on the D3 so the interface sucked. The F-series all are HD-radio ready according to what Jason posted

Wonder if the new series will display HD Radio better too? That was a complaint with the D3 and the GEX-P10HD tuner.
Question:

The new ipod cable interface, does the audio/video strictly come out of the a/v portion of the cord and the usb portion has the interface(track, list, time, etc) data?

i was just wondering if it is limited to the composite video resolution coming from the cord.

thanks

Yes, judging by the pictures of the manual I have seen it does appear that way.

I think you are confused about what dual-zone is. Dual-Zone means sending one source (DVD or AV input for example) to rear screen(s) while listening to another source through the vehicle speakers. It will NOT do that

It WILL do what you are describing, which is display the map screen on the deck, while sending the movie to the rear monitor(s) and sending the movies sound through the vehicle speakers.

So what I'm trying to understand about dual-zone is whether that just pertains to multiple audio sources or whether it means that I can't send DVD video to an alternate screen and have the NAV up on the head unit at the same time. I don't care if the audio is a single source, say from the DVD, what's important is that video can play to an alternate screen while the head unit has the capability of displaying something else even if there is no audio. Like was stated before in other posts, if you have an SUV or truck and kids in the back then you would know exactly why this is important. I can't believe that Pioneer would introduce a new model and then take a feature like this away.

Thanks for the reply. Quite clear now.

Looks like the JP model has a couple extra toys....

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-15 ... oneer.html

I'm so jealous - HSDPA? Imagine what you could do with that + live Google/Windows Live type maps in a mobile GPS. Dynamically updated POIs based on latest gen. search engines, unlimited personal modifications, etc.

Why does Japan get all the cool toys first? - I wish we could get the cool Cell Phone/Nav stuff at the same time, but I guess we Amerrrkans are still too budget conscious for the cool new toys.

I have looked into just doing a small tablet type PC in dash to do this exact thing, but haven't found anything that's right yet, and of course you don't get the great audio capabilities that your Pioneer/Alpine decks have. I wish I could jump ahead a few years and get these things (Clarion MiND looks like a potential step in that direction).

Is that all it is though? I think the American market is fundamentally different.

In fact, the J version of the AVIC F series doesn't have HSDPA built in, it just supports it if you pair it with your phone that has some type of 3G. I'd happily use the 3G connection from my current phone as a BT Modem (just like I do on my laptop) for my AVIC if I could get some of the cool online capabilities this would open up. I don't see how that would change the FCC compliance since there is no additional wireless stuff going on.

However, I don't have any insight into the politics of the FCC and if simply adding BT Modem capability would get their hackles up and cause a slow down in approval.

Are consumer electronics companies just generally wary of adding too much to a device, and so only submit conservatively configured versions here?

Thanks for the reply. Quite clear now.

OK, so I'm dense. I admit it. So the F90BT has RCA outputs to send video / audio to a rear seat monitor, but it can't support that video and let me listen to the radio or some other source up front? Is that the bottom line? That seems ridiculous, but this would be an obviously desired feature for folks with kids or even non-kid folks who realize watching video from the front seat isn't real smart but who'd want their passengers to have the option. I'm taking a long ten-day trip with my son and it's nearly a show-stopper if I can't listen to the radio or Ipod while he watches a movie in the back.

Am I left with the Z2 / Z3 as my only Pioneer-brand option? How about the Kenwood 8120?