AVIC411.com

My new 3.0 impressions

Having to pull out then reinsert the usb/sd card everytime you turn the deck on is nonsense. Good thing that is bypassable but still shouldn't have to go through hoops like that.

Another thing is that the songs end before the end of the song on usb/sd cards...wtf?

Load time of usb/sd cards is horrible..

Anyone know if these going to be fixed in the 3.0 update?

"GPS signal lost" so annoying when i have the woofers up. :( oh well

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"GPS signal lost" so annoying when i have the woofers up. :( oh well

Maybe try adjusting the sound settings. I have a relatively large sub in my car and I don't recall it being used when announcing GPS thingers. Unless you have the crossover turned up really high, in which case it would be emphasizing the highs on the sub as well.

The only thing I have to compare the F900BT to is the Lexus factory navigation system. If I were to rate the two comparatively, I would give the F900BT a 3 out of 10 and the Lexus system a 10 out of 10. It's a world of difference. I just don't understand why, after many many years of research and development, Pioneer can't develop a system which can compete with the factory navigation systems.

I'm the same way. That navi and bluetooth works unbelievably well. Lexus really has it figured out.

Toyota and Lexus use Fujitsu Ten (i.e. Eclipse) systems. I have decided to go with the AVN726e. I have done research and messed with one in the store and it is rock solid. INSTANT bootup.

Then, as a software engineer, you should be familiar with rules 22 and 23 of the unwritten rules of systems engineering.

*Systems Management Risk. The systems engineering management of a large project is very difficult in the start up phase. Requirements are late. Of course they are late but engineering should never use that as an excuse and fail to conduct parametric analysis around expected requirement limits. Staffing is under the planned level. Design engineering is yelling for firm requirements as if the system engineer knows what the requirements are but just won't tell. The result is that the Chief Systems Engineer is under fire and may be replaced by a new person who is given a new longer schedule and increased budget and perhaps reduced expectation of results. This typical half life of one year makes some people cautious.

The Twenty Second Law:

Never go in with the first wave.

*More Risk. It is not clear that you can succeed if you are part of the second wave. Some projects are so difficult that an extension of the law is as follows:

The Twenty Third Law:

Never go in with the second wave either.

http://evansopticalengineering.com/Page00/sysenlaw.htm

:wink:

Sounds very familiar - like every major project I have been in. Pioneer went with the first wave. No real requirements and so Engineers(If you want to call em that) just hacked out what they could with no design.

I've updated my EU f900bt to the 3.x firmware (taken from the X series update). I stuck with the original maps.

First impressions are definitely favourable, even if there have been no revolutionary changes.

Time to iPod play is 30 sec, time to bluetooth phone connection is 1m 18s. Not much change there. However, the screen is immeasurably more responsive, with very little lag (due to the WinCE update, I believe). This makes it much more pleasurable to use.

The bluetooth phone software seems a little less buggy - so far no problems with calls not being transferred to the car unit. Also, so far the call controls appear on the screen each time, in contrast to previously.

I was also having strange intermittent problems with the left channel of iPod audio becoming corrupted, which seems to have resolved with the update.

Sadly, the useless iPod navigation system remains. Why can't we use the knob to browse the iPod? Using the touch screen is frustrating and non-intuitive (although a bit less frustrating now that the screen lag is fixed).

All in all, a worthwhile update, if just to get the F900BT to what it should have been at version 1.0

Sadly, the useless iPod navigation system remains. Why can't we use the knob to browse the iPod? Using the touch screen is frustrating and non-intuitive (although a bit less frustrating now that the screen lag is fixed).

Voice should be your primary iPod navigation system anyway.

I do use the knob, but just to tell it what I want to hear.

There's no other good way to select from the thousands and thousands of songs you have on there while driving safely.

I'd like to see larger scan boxes for the touch areas, as my passengers hate poking for that 1x1cm spot to skip to the next song.

Voice should be your primary iPod navigation system anyway.

I do use the knob, but just to tell it what I want to hear.

There's no other good way to select from the thousands and thousands of songs you have on there while driving safely.

I'd like to see larger scan boxes for the touch areas, as my passengers hate poking for that 1x1cm spot to skip to the next song.

Sadly Pioneer deciced that in the EU we weren't worthy of voice control.

You want useless ipod navigation try the JVC AVX44, scrolling down one 6 entry page at a time by an impossible to hit touch screen area with no search, the AVIC is a joy compared to it.

I might be able to think of some more but I don't want to at this time. Even with these fault I think it is a pretty nice unit for the price I paid.

but that is the problem...some of us paid 1200 for our units, others paid 400. you might feel like you got a good deal but others, like tacomaboy, feel betrayed.

Had I paid 400 for the 900bt i would be upset but not betrayed, but I paid 900 bucks for this thing and for what? A shitty nav system, ipod problems, MSN that does not work and has not worked since the second week, and shitty bluetooth. Im sorry but that is unacceptable.

Yep thats my problem. I guess if I paid 400 bucks I wouldn't be too pissed, especially with all the reviews out there saying how bad it can be.

So really the issue isn't the performance of the unit, but your own individual shopping decision.

I followed the Twenty-second Law, but since I got a unit with 2.0 already installed, I guess I broke the Twenty Third law. Still, I paid what I thought was a fair price for it, and am happy with the unit. I'm predicting that I'll be happier when the 3.0 update gets to me.

honestly why do you guys need a rear camera... kill the kid that was running behind your car... evolution of the fittest :)

The term is "survival of the fittest". And since I'm in a cranky mood tonight, I think that you should also be aware of the following:

Why am I an moron if I advocate Social Darwinism?

Darwin's theory states that in any population there are variations within individuals. If, due to the interaction between the individuals and the environment, the variations in one subgroup of a population provide an advantage towards reproduction, those traits are more likely to be carried on to the next generation. Through subsequent generations, if those variations continue to be advantageous, those characteristics will become more common in the population as a whole.

That's all he says.

Darwin had no concept of genes or genetics at the time that he wrote The Origin of Species in 1863. Gregor Mendel was in the midst of doing his pea plant experiments at the time, but Mendel's work did not really come to light until the beginning of the 20th century, long after The Origin of Species was published.

Furthermore, Darwin does not say that this variation confers some sort of "superiority" to any group of individuals to others in the group, or implies a "fitness" to an individual's right to survive. This misapplication of Darwin's theories to society has caused a lot of trouble in the past, including the justification of the colonial system, laws that discriminate on the basis of race, and the Holocaust. In fact, the phrase "survival of the fittest" does not come from Darwin, but from one of his contemporaries, Herbert Spencer, one of the first "Social Darwinists", in an attempt to justify the colonial system, and the European domination of much of the rest of the world.

You can read Darwin's original work at this website. Nothing like looking at primary sources to show how much we all misunderstand other people's thoughts.

Yep thats my problem. I guess if I paid 400 bucks I wouldn't be too pissed, especially with all the reviews out there saying how bad it can be.

So really the issue isn't the performance of the unit, but your own individual shopping decision.

I followed the Twenty-second Law, but since I got a unit with 2.0 already installed, I guess I broke the Twenty Third law. Still, I paid what I thought was a fair price for it, and am happy with the unit. I'm predicting that I'll be happier when the 3.0 update gets to me.

Your leaps of logic are astounding. Firstly, the "laws" are for developers, not for consumers. Secondly, the fact that Pioneer broke both laws shows what poor performance they provided during P.D. Thirdly, yes, I clearly made a mistake with my shopping habits. Lesson learned. Never purchase from Pioneer, as they produce poor qualityproducts, and it takes over a year for them to devise a fix, which they intend to charge customers for. What ever was I thinking!? I should have known to not trust Pioneer!

Your logic fails when I simply point to the iPhone. Caveat Emptor, of course, however when one is burned by a company as badly as many of us were burned by Pioneer, its clearly the better decision to never trust Pioneer again. Its not so much the poorly made software that bothers me, mind you, but its the lack of decent support on Pioneers part that really gets me.

I have been on this forum a good while now, and Pioneer has yet to admit to any member that the software had any known issues. Each reported call to customer service yielded a dumbfounded response. Clearly these were fabricated lies by Pioneer, as they were surely aware of the problems (i.e. 2.0, and 3.0). But to ignore them for so long, fail to acknoweldge them when presse3d, and in the end, try to make MONEY from the bugs....

Take Microsoft's Xbox 360. Defective red ring of death. How did MS deal with it? FREE fixes, hardware updates for free and EXTENDING the warranty for FREE! Sure MS screwed the pooch, but they dealt with it in a reasonable manner. Pioneer could learn a thing or two...

apple screwed its first purchasers who bought the i phone. charging them extreme amounts of money then a couple of months dropping the price to 199. all they got was a 100 rebate.

this update better be worth the 60 i paid. but i have no loyalty to pioneer. whoever makes the best product is whom i will purchase from. i did a lot of research and th f series scored high. makes me wonder how much worse the other nav's were

reading the above, I cannot help myself but add to it :-)

Where is the world heading, when (once respected great) companies like Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic, etc cannot make a decent product.(own experience, always software/firmware bugs)

When will they learn that using cheap labor (obviously programmers) is a very short sighted approach to cost saving.

Product build of the Aussie F900bt I have is good, but the software is horrible (still 2.0, not a word about 3 yet at pioneer.com.au).

For $1800 AUD I have spent I expected something better than a typical buggy Microsoft product...

And charging us for their own mistakes, what a JOKE!