AVIC411.com

I got my pioneer CD in the mail today. It is a CD and a silkscreened and burnt one at that. Not a mass produced CD like you see typically. Hence the green color of the CD on the written side. I also got the instructions that were posted here. It is identical to the ISO file posted.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I use the bluetooth update and for some reason I get the 99% issue. Will I lose all my info in the unit?

Since I'm the only one who had this problem as far as I know, I would guess yes, you would lose your info and most likely your unit. It would have to be sent back to pioneer for repair.

I didn't have to do that because before I installed the update I pulled the drive out, unlocked the hard drive (with the $50 utility) and backed up all 4 partitions on the hard drive and was able to restore my hard drive from my previously saved backups.

If I hadn't done that, I would have needed to send my Z1 back to Pioneer and I would bet they would have wiped the drive and reloaded it back to stock.

So there is no way i could back up my hd easily?

Not really, the instructions for hooking the Z1's hard drive to a PC and unlocking it (Pioneer locked the hard drive on us).

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728

Then use your favorite backup utility (ghost, acronis, etc)

It wasn't hard (it's not like moving a piano), but it's not for the faint of heart.

Well after looking at all 9 pages it appears that you in fact had the only error issue when applying the update. The only reason I want to attempt the update is avoid buying the kit although it seems safer than losing my hd...

I bought my unit used so I doubt I can use the warranty and the buddy of mine who sold it to me cant remember if he registered it or not...the date show April 2006.

Yes, out of the people who posted here, I believe I'm the only one. I don't know if that happened to anyone else out there in the world and they just didn't post anything.... but I did have a problem.... and it was over and over many times with many different burns. I wish I didn't. But I did and I am just telling people of my experience. Chances are very good you won't have this same problem. But I mention it cause it happened to me.

If it were me and I had to do over and didn't have a back up of my hard drive.

If I didn't use the bluetooth phone add on, I probably wouldn't chance the update just to save the $35 on the flasher circuit. If I did use the bluetooth phone and had an issue I would try the volume down before pairing, that did help quite a bit. If those didn't give me any satisfaction with the echo, I would do the update. But I would do the update for the bluetooth echo, no to save money on the bypass. But that's just me (and because I did have my different update cd's I burned fail over and over and over).

I appreciate your help thus far...

One final clarification. Using the 2 wire bypass ... I have takend the cell mute out and inserted it into the connector 2 like you described. You mention the light green and the cell mute need to be grounded. Is it ok to connect these two wires to the stereo ground?

Using the 2 wire bypass ... I have takend the cell mute out and inserted it into the connector 2 like you described. You mention the light green and the cell mute need to be grounded. Is it ok to connect these two wires to the stereo ground?

Yep the same black wire in the power connector. They can be connected together.

Great! That means now all I need to do is use the update cd and it should work :) If I do not use the cd right away then buying your circuit is the way to go right?

Yes, you can use the CD, update your Z1 and then ground 2 wires. If you choose not to do this, then you can buy one of my circuits. Either should give you the same result.