AVIC411.com

Garret 2mey's Z3 Drives...ARE AWESOME

Garrett,

Thank you so much for the 60gb HDD. It totally rocks. It fixed all my freezing issues and is got awesome software update features. This is a great service you offer us. Thank you again. I also have a Z1 in my wife's truck. It has a few issues with randomly not turning on at all and sometimes it won't turn off when you shut off the key.

Since it doesn't have a HDD like the Z2 is there an update disk with 2010 update and maps that might resolve her issues also? If so how much is the disk for the Z1?

Thanks,

Kit Bolton in Minnesota

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garret has a great service here. He had excellent communication throughout the entire process and the turnaround time was excellent. He did an excellent job packing the drive and it worked flawlessly in my AVIC Z1. You have no worries doing business with Garret. I sent him my drive and he returned it promptly and sent me a e-mail letting me know that it was in the mail. Excellent service.

Garrett,

Thank you so much for the 60gb HDD. It totally rocks. It fixed all my freezing issues and is got awesome software update features. This is a great service you offer us. Thank you again. I also have a Z1 in my wife's truck. It has a few issues with randomly not turning on at all and sometimes it won't turn off when you shut off the key.

Since it doesn't have a HDD like the Z2 is there an update disk with 2010 update and maps that might resolve her issues also? If so how much is the disk for the Z1?

Thanks,

Kit Bolton in Minnesota

As far as not turning on or off, it sounds like a wiring/power issue. Are you sure your wife has a Z1? If it's a Z1 then it is identical to your Z2 and it does have the same hard drive...

ordered mine yesterday, got it today, had it in my car in about 20 min, would have been quicker but those screws were a mother to get out and the dremel had to come to the rescue!

was something i was scared to do, but figured why not....glad I did...

:D

I'm not sure that more can be said than the previous 20 pages of positive posts, but I will add my kudos because he (Garret) deserves all the praise he has gotten. I paid him late on one day and was promply emailed a tracking number and receipt that evening. Three days later (Sat, Sun, Holiday) I got my drive, well packaged and VERY protected.

Here is what you need to know, from a computer technician's perspective (mine), to be reassured that Garret is not only a professional, but really knows his stuff. I recieved my drive packaged in a box, with packing peanuts inside, wrapped in bubble wrap (along with the coolest tiny tool I have ever seen, I LOVE IT! thanks Garret) and inserted into a static free ESD bag. The last part is what I want to draw your attention to. Anyone who knows anything about sensitive mini-electronics knows that static electricity, even in small doses, can permenantly destroy devices... like laptop hard drives. Garret has such an attention to detail that he's got this part covered by shipping it in an ESD bag, this is done by someone who KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING. That is the #1 reason you shouldn't buy from anyone on eBay.

Garret is honest too. Even though he could have tried to convince me to buy the larger drive to make more money, he listened to my needs and recommended the smaller drive... because that's what I needed! I would have no hesitation buying from Garret again.

I waited for the 2010 maps to come out and I'm glad I did. I upgraded an original Z1 and now have the lastest Z3 and I seriously couldn't be happier. If you are on the fence about getting his drive, GET OFF IT and buy one. The installation was easy, the operating system image is flawless, and his support before, during, and after the sale is unbeatable.

Thanks again Garret!

Garret's drives are great, but i'm somewhat disappointed in the map upgrade...in particular the POI's. 2 quick examples.

1. Large strip mall thats been around for 6-7 years (home depot, target, applebees, etc.) is not even visible on the map. Just shows green grass, like an empty field.

2. Went to Atlantic City, and searched for hotels. ONLY 6 SHOWED UP. 6....IN ATLANTIC CITY... that's unacceptable.

Anyone else have similar POI issues. :x

• 3 weeks later...

Another satisfied customer!!!

Just purchased a 60GB upgrade from Garret. He provided amazing customer service answering several questions and getting the new drive to me two days after I placed the order.

Installation instructions were clear and process was simple. Heed his warning about stripping the screws!! We got cocky after the first three and stripped the 4th. Otherwise it was a piece of cake.

Thanks Garret!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Garret,

I'm searching for a specific hard drive because mine is broken. I know only the electrical print is damaged the rest of the drive is still working. My plan is to swab the print for exact the same type to make an complete disk-image and put that image on my new drive.

While I was searching for it on eBay I’ve got in to contact with a guy who bought a updated drive from you, he told me that maybe you can help me.....

The drive I'm talking about is the Toshiba MK3029GACE.

Maybe you've got/sell one.

Thanks!

Ps I hope you don’t mind my English (I’m from the Netherlands).

Gtz Wicher

Shipped my hard drive Monday, Garret received on Wednesday, did the upgrade and immediately shipped it back out. I received on Thursday, installed and very satisfied!

* Excellent communications via E-mail!

* Superb turn around on the upgrade!

Garret delivers as promised and better!

Chip

• 2 months later...

I wanted to confirm what mark1107 stated. I ordered the 60 Gb drive from Garret and I received the drive just as promised in the stated delivery time. Garret responded extremely quickly (less than 1 hour) to all of my emails. He sent a handy tool to take the old drive out and install the new drive in with along with very detailed instructions. I would definitely buy again from Garret without hesitation. I would rate the whole experience a 10 out of 10. PERFECT!!! If you need a hard drive replacement or upgrade, I would highly recommend buying it from Garret.

Carlton

• 1 month later...

I just installed my drive that I got from Garret and am very happy. I had a question before I ordered, would this new drive work with my Z1? The answer was yes. That was late night Pacific time on January 30th. I woke up to a response from Garret that life would be good. So on the 31st I placed the order. On the same day I received a note letting me know that it had shipped along with instructions for swapping as well where to get the owners manual for the new software. The drive showed up two days later using the screw driver that I got from Garret (I was to lazy to take a chance I might not have the right one in the garage) I took out the old drive (2 torex screws the front plate and 4 phillips heads for the caddy the drive sits in) put the new one in, powered it up and life was good.

I wish all transactions were this easy. Thanks Garret for updating my old technology and for great customer service.

Kevin Johnson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The drive that most people are using is not an automotive drive.

Toshiba MK6034GAX is the most popular drive for upgrading the Avic Z series.

I did not go the route of getting a new drive since I did not need the extra free space and I wanted to save some money. What I did do was to send my existing Z2 drive to Garret for the Z3 upgrade. For $50 and for less than a week turnaround (Friday to Tuesday), I am up and running and am very impressed with the upgrade and service that Garret has done for me. Questions I had where answered very promptly. To save the existing data on my drive, I unlocked my drive using a 'Service Test' disk that I had made before sending it to him. My drive is now permanently unlocked and will stay that way. Future upgrades done by him, when they come out, will only cost me $40. This is the way all upgrades should be, not $150 for new disks. I highly recommend him to anyone wishing to upgrade.