AVIC411.com

CarPlay !!! (Reviews, ...)

I'm trying to get to Pioneer's site for the 5000 update but no luck. Can anyone post to Dropbox please? Thank you!

EDIT: on their site right now downloading the update. Let's see how this goes....aaaand it fails. Oh well, try try try again.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More notes...

-No matter where you are in the NEX's interface, activating Siri takes you to CarPlay's interface. CarPlay then handles calls, texts, etc.

-My steering wheel buttons for answer and end calls no longer work. I have a Maestro SW. I'll call iDataLink and see if there is a software update. (UPDATE: the buttons are working now)

-AppRadio is no where to be found, either on the home screen or the menu. It appears CarPlay totally replaced AppRadio for iPhone users. This will be good news for some and bad news for others.

UPDATE: I also tried AppRadio mode with the HDMI/Lightning connector. Neither CarPlay nor AppRadio work with the HDMI/Lightning Connector.

UPDATE 2: CarPlay only replaces the built in Bluetooth phone interface when the phone is plugged in to the Lightning cable. This should be obvious, since CarPlay requires the Lightning cable to work, but I wanted to make sure. Steering wheel answer and end buttons work fine for regular Bluetooth calling. This makes me think that since CarPlay is processed by the phone instead of the NEX, the steering wheel answer and end buttons can not interface with CarPlay... That would be a bummer.

UPDATE 3: Under Smartphone settings, you can enable and disable CarPlay. AppRadio is listed as an available feature. I tried disabling CarPlay to see if it would allow me to use AppRadio. It didn't. I'd love to hear if anyone else is able to use AppRadio with their iPhone post-update.

UPDATE 4: The steering wheel answer and end buttons are now working! Don't know what I did to fix them!

My steering wheel answer and end buttons are now working with CarPlay! I don't know what I did to fix them, but they work!

Here's the link to the downloads, includes the PDFs.  I'll leave it for a couple of days.

I'm really happy with this update.  I can't believe just how smoothly that went.  The update was really quick on my unit—I don't know if this is because it was a 4000, or because I used a fast SD card, but either way, took less than 10 minutes from start-to-finish.  it even remembered my custom backgrounds for startup and the home screen.

CarPlay is really smooth.  Everything I tested worked better than I expected.  One of the weird things is switching apps on the phone switches the radio, and vice-versa.  The only real negative to that is you can't be replying to a message (when parked) and have the music on the screen at the same time.

Except, you can still use the traditional USB1/iPod 1 interface, simply by choosing it from the home screen on the NEX or tapping mode to switch (with a really nice animation).

Link just goes to an error page.

So has anyone here used Appradio CarMediaPlay to watch videos? And what i'm gathering is that if you switch to Carplay and you are being forced to give up the HDMI/VGA lightning cable adapter you are giving up the ability to watch Video content from the phone since that is required.. I'm getting hesitant to do the update since that's is 30% of the reason i got this radio.. Be nice if someone posts up a full demo of the update and go over all the losses and gains. I think i'm going to wait a bit before doing the update... but i know will be getting the Iphone 6 soon. What do do???

I have the 5000NEX btw. 

So has anyone here used Appradio CarMediaPlay to watch videos? And what i'm gathering is that if you switch to Carplay and you are being forced to give up the HDMI/VGA lightning cable adapter you are giving up the ability to watch Video content from the phone since that is required.. I'm getting hesitant to do the update since that's is 30% of the reason i got this radio.. Be nice if someone posts up a full demo of the update and go over all the losses and gains. I think i'm going to wait a bit before doing the update... but i know will be getting the Iphone 6 soon. What do do???

I have the 5000NEX btw.

AppRadio isn't working for me... Can anyone else confirm if it works for them when they disable CarPlay from the "Smartphone Setup" menu???

Okay. My unit finally updated successfully, despite having to restart. This is good news for anyone else whose update fails during the process.

One note - if you are using the digital AV setting, you have to update to use USB or Carplay will not function (AppRadio seemingly would)

Thanks for your help.

Unit : F860BT (= 5000NEX)

iPhone : 5s ios 8.0.2

Was there anything else on the USB drive or SD card that you used? No.

Did you copy ONLY the folder within the parent folder to the drive? Yes.

Maybe there is a bug on this unit only ... because AppRadio is deactivated on this unit. If they replace AppRadio by Apple Car Play, I can't use it because they don't test the feature on every units ...

Now it works for me. My solution was to reset the unit. I'm happy  :-P

ok ... forgive my ignorance ... been lurking here for info for a while since I got NEX 8000 earlier this year.... 

I've installed the firmware update, went to smartphone setup and turned on Carplay, tried the usb lightning connection (moving from hdmi/lightning adapter) and still don't see CarPlay showing up.  It shows up in the setup menu .... what am I missing? 

I have the 5000NEX btw.

So I am an idiot... AppRadio DOES WORK!!!! I forgot to switch the connection type to Digital AV Adapter. I did this and it works without issue! Shows that I NEVER use AppRadio mode :-)