AVIC411.com

DucatiBoy Circuit Ordering Discussion Thread

[quote name="palacios"]Let me know if you received it and when you plan on shipping it. I think you said you were gonna ship the second batch on Monday or Tuesday but I got confused because you also said you weren't gonna order the parts for the second batch until everybody reported no problems with the first batch.[/quote]

Actually, I was waiting, but there was so much interest, I ordered a "second batch" in small quantitys just to get them out quick, but not be stuck with 300 of these if there happened to be a problem or something.

But mine was working so well, I ordered a small second batch, but they are all spoken for already. I originally thought I would ship the first batch out today, but they shipped out 3 days ago. I thought I wouldn't get the second batch out till next weekend, but I think I might have the second batch out tomorrow.

I have in the top post that the current orders (the third batch) will ship out May 22nd. I might get them out some time this week. Like I said, I'm working really hard to get these out ASAP, but I can't promise anything. Worse case, anyone who orders today (or the last couple of days) will get them shipped out May 22nd at the latest.

I'm hoping to have all but the last couple days of orders out by tomorrow. I will send an email to everyone though the paypal email saying when it shipped.

EVERYONE who sends me money WILL GET ONE. It might take me a week or two at the current time frame, but you WILL GET ONE. I will update the first post on ship days as I see how parts come in.
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="wishbone"]Got mine today! Look for a full report tomorrow. Thanks for getting these to us so fast! I'm so tired of flashing my lights. ;-)[/quote]

Just got it installed. Works great man, thanks for all your work on this. I was so surprised to see how small and simple it seemed. Works with the lights on or off as well. Simply wonderful, thanks.
This is great, I like seeing success stories. I was worried that there might be problems and I might want to come up with a diagnostic troubeshooting guide.

I have had a couple of reports of problems, all of which turned out to be installer error.

I know this is a black box and you don't know me from Adam as they say and I know it's easy to blame this circuit. But trust me, I don't want to deal with returns or unhappy forum members. Last thing I want is people calling me a hack or a scam artist or something.

Each and every one I have sent out was personally tested with my Z1. Every one of them and I haven't made a bad one yet. I'm having such perfect success rates (100% functional) I was considering making them and just shipping them untested cause I know they work, but trust me... I am not doing that and I'm testing them all 100%. They work.

Could they fry themselves in the shipping envelope? Maybe, very doubtfull. Could they be hooked up wrong and fried due to improper installation? Maybe, I might waste one to the testing gods by hooking the outputs to ground and the input to 12V switched and the 12V switched to something else and so on just to see how hooking up this incorrectly could effect it, but there are so many people who want these, I didn't want to make someone wait an extra week or so just to try to kill one on purpose.

Please, I know you guys know what you are doing. I'm not trying to belittle your soldering skills or your experiance or anything... we all make mistakes. Please check and double check the installation and wiring.

Do not use a test light on this thing. I have no idea how much current your test lights use and if that could blow out this circuit... it was designed to supplu 60mA at best, if you hook up a test bulb it might not even light even though a meter would say 12V. If you want to make sure this is hooked up right, use a volt meter.

I'll try to type up a step by step check list for people who want tot double check your connections other than just seeing the Z1 boot up correctly or what ever.

I would like to see more feedback on installs if it's ok. Everyone whom I told was having one shipped should have them by now or latest monday or tuesday.
I hooked mine up on the bench using a 12v power supply prior to installing it in the car and watched it pulse 12v then pass through 12v....not that I didn't trust you or anything, just that I had to see it myself before hooking it to a HU that cost almost 2k lol. Like I said before, works like a charm!
[quote name="03Vic-HPP"]I hooked mine up on the bench using a 12v power supply prior to installing it in the car and watched it pulse 12v then pass through 12v....not that I didn't trust you or anything, just that I had to see it myself before hooking it to a HU that cost almost 2k lol. Like I said before, works like a charm![/quote]

Dude, no problem, no offence taken. Really... in fact I'm glad that you checked it. You guys don't know me and I could be a sick person and made these to blow up units for some sick joy or something (I didn't, I might be a sick person, but this circuit does work).

In fact if you actually hook a function generator up to the input which switched between 12V and ground at 100hz - 900 hz, it will output 12 Volts as well, to take care of different cars possible difference in dimmer wires.

And did you try hooking the input to 12V and apply power at the same time, the output still flashes and then after 10 seconds the output goes to 12V and stays there while the input is 12V.

It's actually quite smart. And I actually design medical electronics for a living. Stuff I have made had been implanted in people. I make low power circuits and software for embedded devices for a living, so this wasn't that hard. And I even had some of my co-workers code review the processor code and check the circuit. It should be quite robust.

There is a possibility that there is a car out there that functions differently than I anticipated. Worse case in this situation, is that it will still flash the lights and the Z1 will have full functionality, but the dimmer will not react to turning your lights on and off. It's possible, but I'm pretty sure that just about any car out there will work with this. Again, if your car doesn't "work with this circuit" it means the Z1 will be bypassed but it won't dim with your lights. That's the worse case, but I don't think that anyone will have this, I'm pretty sure I took care of any car's dimmer functionality with this circuit and if you are one, hook the input wire to a line that goes to 12V when you turn your headlights on, and it will work too.

When installing this, I would recommend taking the 12V switched and ground off the wire harness of the head unit. Don't take the 12V switched from somewhere else in the car, who knows, maybe your car powers up the radio at a different time from something else (there might be 12V switched that turns on before the radio's 12V switched is powered up, I don't know of any cars that do this, but they could exist). To be sure take all the wires for this circuit from the wiring harness of the radio. That will ensure proper timing and operation.

Good luck guys. Please let me know how they go. If you have trouble PM me and we will work it out.
I know I am going to buy this module very soon, maybe next week hopefully.

But I just receieved my Avic-Z1 :), and so should I hook everything up as the manual says or should I leave the parking break wire unconnected.

I would like the Z1 to be full featured for the time being so what would I lose if I didn't hook up the parking break wire?

Or should I just hook it up for now and once I get the module, just unhook it and do a reset?
[quote name="Anonymous"]But I just receieved my Avic-Z1 :), and so should I hook everything up as the manual says or should I leave the parking break wire unconnected.[/quote]

You could do that, but then you would have to flash your lights to get full functionality.

[quote name="Anonymous"]I would like the Z1 to be full featured for the time being so what would I lose if I didn't hook up the parking break wire?[/quote]

If you don't hook up the parking brake wire, there is a bunch of stuff you can't do... but if you flash your lights when you start the car, you won't need the parking brake wire.

[quote name="Anonymous"]Or should I just hook it up for now and once I get the module, just unhook it and do a reset?[/quote]

You can do this, and then you will see what they lock out and what comes in when you are parked and activate your parking brake and deactivate it.

You could always put it on a little toggle switch and put it under the dash for the time being. This way, you can switch it and see how it works, and when you get my circuit installed, just flip the switch so it's not connected to ground and tuck it up under the dash and never worry about it.
Thanks ducati, I am actually the one who emailed you earlier today.

Anyways I think I am just going to do a complete original install and just hook up the parking break as it should be hooked up.

Then I will know what is locked and unlocked by just using the parking light switch.

I will definetly be getting one of your modules though. I always love the aspect of automation rather than manual.