AVIC411.com

Updated Bypass Instructions for the Avic Z1, Z2, and Z3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated my Z1 with the Bluetooth update CD that I downloaded from Ducati's web site.

It loaded 100% on the first try and the Connector 2 ground bypass worked flawlessly!

(I removed the flashing circuit that I had in earlier)

I made a couple of calls from my truck and NO MORE ECHO, ECHO, ECHO.....

Thanks to everyone here, this site is the best!!! :D:D8)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This may have already been asked somewhere, but I can't find anything on it. Can I ground the two wires directly to the ground on the factory radio harness, or do they need to be physically grounded to the vehicles body?

Either one, they should be electrically the same.

I spoke to an installer about bypassing my Z1 when he installs it next week and he said that he can do it, but that it will require a switch and that I have to switch it on and off whenever I want to have the unit be bypassed. I told him about this forum and ducati's helpful guide and that he would really only have to ground 2 wires (the parking break wire and then probably the TelMute wire) and he says that probably wouldn't work. Is that true? I hope not!

He also said that if he bypasses it, I won't be able to use the Nav Traffic function in the future, because it needs to pick up the motion of the car (?), or something like that.

Help guys! These so-called "experienced" installers don't seem to know as much as you all on these forums.

he says that probably wouldn't work. Is that true? I hope not!

If you follow the directions on this site I posted above, it will work.

He also said that if he bypasses it, I won't be able to use the Nav Traffic function in the future, because it needs to pick up the motion of the car (?), or something like that.

He is right, if he does this stupid switch thing, the nav traffic and all nav functions will not work when bypassed, which is why you don't want him to do this.

What they want to install will actually not work at all after a period of time. It will trick the Z1 into thinking it's standing still when you flip the switch and then you can do what you want and when you flip the switch back it goes back to thinking it's moving. The problem is with that switch, the internal gyro's will not be able to be switched out so it will eventually sense the motion and that switch set up will not work.

OR it's possible they are just putting the parking brake on a switch and you flip it to access the locked out features, you might as well hook this to the parking brake itself, because if you flip the switch while moving it will still not work and now you will have another pop up message every time you start the car about the parking brake not hooked up correctly.

The instructions I have (and which are here) have literally helped thousands of Z1 owners.

Trust me I have seen all sorts of switch "mods" and they don't work. The only thing that does work reliably is the instructions I posted on my site. If your Z1 is made after July 06, grounding 2 wires will allow EVERYTHING to work ALL THE TIME... NO EXCEPTIONS.

Help guys! These so-called "experienced" installers don't seem to know as much as you all on these forums.

Well your installer knows a lot about how to take the dash apart in many cars. How many Z1's has this guy played with 1? 5? We (collectively) have been playing with 1000's of them and sharing our information. Your installer is at a disadvantage.... as we are on how to take the dash apart in a 1978 Chevy Chevette.

Really, trust me and us. What I instructed is CORRECT. Do it. Tell him to do it. If he won't take it somewhere else. Print out my web site and show him, he will be pleasantly surprised when it works better than any Z1 install he has ever done (and you will be happier for it).