AVIC411.com

Z2 bypass ..... Anyone figured it out yet?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope someone comes up with something soon, i get mine installed next Friday. Although I asked the installer if he could do a bypass and he said (and I quote) "No sir, bypassing that safety feature is illegal. We cannot do that for you...."

:cry:

HELP OBI WAN DUCATI BOY! YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE! :D

DB, just a little off topic and if this question is annoying and has no relevanc eyou can ignore it, but how in the world do you know sooo much about the avic z's? Just from monkeying around with them? Or are/were you a tech in some audio install place? Pioneer even?

No not annoying, just didn't noticed it till now. I'm not an installer or pioneer tech. Technically I'm the head of software development for a medical device manufacturing company. We used to be contact engineers (we were recently bought out by a large, and famous, medical company), we would design and manufacture medical devices (implants, and external devices, etc).

I got a Z1 back in the beginning of last year and decided to design a circuit to bypass the Z1 (which it needed) and over the last year or so, helping people install and work with my circuit. Just because I have this strange compulsion to help people and being involved here to sell and support my circuit I started learning by doing and messing with them.

I really don't know as much as you think I do, but thanks! Some of my knowledge is regurgitated from some of the other high post count people here. All the high post regulars here know tons about the Z1, and we have all helped each other learn. It's just who happens to be active at the moment you ask the question as to who does the answering.

Ah, i see, well thats cool. I work in electronics myself so I guess it would just be a matter of tinkering with my own z2 to learn things. Although... when im t-shooting thousand dollar peices of government electronics, im not all the worried about zapping the box nor myself, its the gubment, they can get more. But, thinking about t-shooting and tinkering with my own 2k box of resistors, transistors, and caps.... eh.... kinda makes my nuts suck up into my stomach.

Although I asked the installer if he could do a bypass and he said (and I quote) "No sir, bypassing that safety feature is illegal. We cannot do that for you...."

Which probably means: " I just covered my and my shops ass, give me $20 and I will do it." :P

yeah, im sure that was the correct over the phone response. When Im there face to face ill see if something can be done. If a bypass is found by then, obviously. :D

Any luck guys?

I'm installing my z2 tomorrow and had a few questions.

I noticed someone talking about needing to install it correctly and drive it around about 50 miles to calibrate it before attempting to bypass it.

Do I really need to do this, or what that just his opinion?

Thanks for the help!

- Fosgate

I know people measured the voltage on the pins back behind the Z2 and said that 3 were 0V and one was 5V. But no one mentioned if the 5V one was the same point as on the Z1 bypass. Is it in the bottom right?

Any luck guys?

I'm installing my z2 tomorrow and had a few questions.

I noticed someone talking about needing to install it correctly and drive it around about 50 miles to calibrate it before attempting to bypass it.

Do I really need to do this, or what that just his opinion?

Thanks for the help!

- Fosgate

that 50 mile calibrate thing was....

If you just ground the parking brake wire, it will be bypassed like you want it to be... for about 50 miles, then the bypass will stop working. So you can do something totally wrong and for the first 50 miles while it's still calibrating, it will seem correct. The 50 mile thing was more of a "wait before you claim success if the unit is brand new, because even an incorrect method will look correct for 50 miles or so". I don't think that it will not work for 50 miles and then start working.

It's too hard to use the unit without the bypass, really takes away the functionality and I agree, movies are stupid to have on while driving but choosing a POI or entering an address isn't that hard. I'm obviously waiting to hear the results when the upgrade comes out for exisitng Z1's. I'm wondering if the circuitry (wiring) is different on the Z2's and the upgraded Z1's will be OK??? Time will tell but I'm sure going to wait until I hear success from an upgrade. Maybe that's where T had the success already, on the upgrade since he seems to have an in.

digxrayguy

it is not in the same location as the z1 i believe it is up and to the left of that pin

If that's true then that is the pin we need to ground. Some one else please confirm this. Find the pin that has 5V and try grounding that pin, even if it is different from the Z1 location.

I'm sure someone has tried this already, but its a start. My outcome after only grounding the parkingbreak wire...

Everything is unlocked...But...

Everytime you turn on the unit, you get the warning telling you the parking break wire is incorrectly connected.

If you dont mind pushing and extra OK at start up, this seems to have worked for me so far.