AVIC411.com

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All you have to do is put a switch on the Reverse wire of the unit itself so that you can manually flip a switch to turn reverse camera on and off.

Then using an RCA cable use your VIDEO out on the Z2 unit and loop it back into your REAR CAMERA INPUT wire.

This will give you a video bypass while having a notice across the screen saying its the camera an objects may appear reversed, ETC.

sorry just frustrated hopefully ducatiboy will figure this thing out and save the day.

Sorry, but I have been so busy and I don't have a Z2 so I have not even spent any time on it. I've just been giving people ideas to try.

according to this ebay auction the avic-z2 bypass has been figured out!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVIC-Z2-Video-Lockout-...

anyone know if this is true?

Most likely it's just a switch to disconnect the nav antenna and VSS wire and ground the parking brake. Anything else, I would believe it when I see it.

according to this ebay auction the avic-z2 bypass has been figured out!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVIC-Z2-Video-Lockout-...

anyone know if this is true?

Most likely it's just a switch to disconnect the nav antenna and VSS wire and ground the parking brake. Anything else, I would believe it when I see it.

Out of curiousity I emailed the guy and asked if the bypass did just that. I'm awaiting his response but will let you guys know.

It is always possible, but not probable that the Z2 is using velocity based GPS calculations and blocking based on that. You can calculate a position based on psuedo range measurements, and you can also calculate a velocity vector based on pseudo range differences using the exact same code path (least squares, or weighted least squares, a Kalman Filter solution would probably be different). A Stand-alone GPS unit can't tell when you are at a dead stop, but it can certainly put in a theshold of 10mph or something. Let's hope that isn't the case, as you won't be able to hack it via a pull-up resistor or something.

Here is something you can try without using a multimeter or an oscilloscope.

Is the AVIC-Z2 blocked when you release the parking brake and the foot brake, but have the car in neutral with the engine off? What if the parking brake, foot brake are off, the car is in neutral, and the engine is on? I'm not remembering here if there was an ignition sensor with the brake sensor or not - can someone clarify that?

Is it blocked when you are crawling down the road at 2mph (as slow as possible), or something similar? If you can do that, then I would guess it is based on the GPS Velocity vector, and not the VSS or brake signals.

Does it work when you are driving slowly, but with a coffee can or something metal covering the antenna?

I don't have one of these yet, I am waiting to get a double-DIN face plate for my '06 Volvo V70. I am trying to decide if I should go with a Z1, or a Z2 right now, and thus, can't tinker around.

It locks you out of certain functions unless the parking brake is on. That's

the first step in accessing the features that are not supposed to be accessed while in motion.

As soon as you disengage the parking brake (moving or not) those get locked out again.

If you have the parking brake slightly on (so the Avic thinks it's on but not

so much it's stopping the vehicle from moving or the wire just grounded)

and then move, it can sense the motion and lock you out anyway.

It seems to take

1. The GPS signal into account (15 mph or more)

2. The VSS wire (if the GPS wire is not getting a good signal, 15 mph or more)

3. The internal gyros to sense any motion (if the first 2 are not connected)

If any of those sense motion, it will lock you out and then say your parking

brake is not connected properly.

Let me get this straight. If you are -not- moving, it locks you out when you disengage the parking brake? You can fake the unit in thinking the parking brake is engaged though.

If the parking brake is engaged (real or fake), it will lock you out if you are going more than 15mph? The gyro is probably only reporting directions.

If you are less than 15mph and take a right hand turn, does it cut off? That might tell you if it is blocking based on the gyro.

Does it do this stuff with either the GPS antenna disconnected, or if the GPS antenna is covered with something metal? This should be checked with -and- without the vss signal connected.

It would be interesting to know if it is looking at the vss signal, or the GPS signal, or both. Doing those tests should make that clear.

This could turn out to be difficult to hack.

hey every1 im new to the site and to a z2.. its getting installed as we read this..

From reading all the post there isnt any hack for the z2.. makes me wanna jus change my mind and get the z1. .But im sure something will come threw...

Jus a question for ducatiboy = would u b willing to try ur bypass ideas on my z2 if i come by ur neck of the woods?

Jus a question for ducatiboy = would u b willing to try ur bypass ideas on my z2 if i come by ur neck of the woods?

I have had a couple offers but I think I would need a couple weeks with it, with the amount of free time I had lately. So I would most likely need my own. But thanks for the offer.