AVIC411.com

only the radio and back up camera work with no hard drive, if I remember correctly.

This is what ltl2007 had to say about this on page 8.

nateair, [...] You can take the HDD out and push down the sensor switch for it and the Z1 or Z2 will still boot up.

Did you push down the sensor switch as described by ltl2007??

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys ive been reading all your post. Yes it was me that said it will still boot without the HDD in. I was doing that on my test bench, not a car. I havent yet done it in my car. Maybe later today i can give it a try. anywho, the unit does still bootup. so we know, like some of you guys have agreed, we cant overlook the flash memory. im going to try to unlock the Z2 HD in my car today as well.

o ya, and if u dont push down the switch the screen wont even come on

Ok i tried the Z2 in car with no HD. there is actually 2 switches that need to be pushed. there is one under the HD that needs to be pushed down, and the other one is pushed back by the HD cover that screws in. I taped both down to simulate a HD in place. Whatever source the Z2 was on before I took out the HD, it stayed on. A screen appeared and said "HDD is Unusable". i could hear whatever source i was on in the background. The rearview cam didnt work. I could change tracks on a cd, or radio station, or xm, but the screen stayed the same. My 2.5" HDD to 3.5" adapter isnt working today, so im going to get a new one tomorrow and get the HD in my Z2 unlocked and imaged. Thanks for all your input and if you have any particualr questions or things you want me to try, let me know.

Maybe we are going about this wrong, we are looking for a code that will basically say

If MPH is > 5 then lockout x. (x being the POI or dvd or whatever)

Instead of trying to hack the drive and change that MPH limit to 200, in that same area of code there should be something along the lines of

Else Rx3 = unlock x. (Rx3 would be the equivilant to flashing your headlights 3 times or whatever the bypass will be this time)

Again, just a thought, Im thinking about this whenever i get a chance, and trying to come up with something new. Thanks for tuning in.

At this point would it not be easier to get a potentiometer with a huge amount of turns and reset after say a quarter turn instead of swapping out resistors?

Yes, but not everyone has those lying around... most shops would have a pack of resistors or so. Someone also brought up a decade box, but those are a bit more scarce.

Either way works.

I have a "PAC" POI-AVIC Demo Module box here at work and it reads a .018vdc (GREEN to GROUND wire) at the green wire if this helps. Connections on the box is:

RED: 12vdc

BLACK: grnd

BLUE/WHITE: remote+

GREEN: park brake input to deck

At this point would it not be easier to get a potentiometer with a huge amount of turns and reset after say a quarter turn instead of swapping out resistors?

Yes, but not everyone has those lying around... most shops would have a pack of resistors or so. Someone also brought up a decade box, but those are a bit more scarce.

Either way works.

I have a "PAC" POI-AVIC Demo Module box here at work and it reads a .018vdc (GREEN to GROUND wire) at the green wire if this helps. Connections on the box is:

RED: 12vdc

BLACK: grnd

BLUE/WHITE: remote+

GREEN: park brake input to deck

That module isn't really going to do any good. All it does is apply a ground to the parking brake wire a couple seconds after the unit loads.

I have a "PAC" POI-AVIC Demo Module box here at work and it reads a .018vdc (GREEN to GROUND wire) at the green wire if this helps.

That's something I haven't heard of. What is this device, I poked around on Pac's site and found nothing. Do you have any more information on it? I would want to see what they claim it does before I see anything else. It sounds like the parking brake is grounded, which if that's all that it is, won't work. If it's for another Avic, wasn't there ones that needed the parking brake grounded a few seconds after it was powered up?

It was for display boards. Its basically a parking brake simulator for ground on-off-on. Pioneer had them made by PAC and gave them out to dealers so that the D and N series could be used in demo boards. To use demo mode, watch movies in the boards, make adjustments, ect. it needed to see the parking brake go on-off-on.

P.S. It was also a handy piece to buy from PAC if you wanted a simple piece to bypass the AVHP5700DVD or 6800DVD or a few other models without a switch. But as PAC says, for "marine use only" :D

That's something I haven't heard of. What is this device, I poked around on Pac's site and found nothing. Do you have any more information on it? I would want to see what they claim it does before I see anything else. It sounds like the parking brake is grounded, which if that's all that it is, won't work. If it's for another Avic, wasn't there ones that needed the parking brake grounded a few seconds after it was powered up?

It was for display boards. Its basically a parking brake simulator for ground on-off-on. Pioneer had them made by PAC and gave them out to dealers so that the D and N series could be used in demo boards. To use demo mode, watch movies in the boards, make adjustments, ect. it needed to see the parking brake go on-off-on.

P.S. It was also a handy piece to buy from PAC if you wanted a simple piece to bypass the AVHP5700DVD or 6800DVD or a few other models without a switch. But as PAC says, for "marine use only" :D

yeah you can do the same thing with the ptr7 or tr7 . you just do the alpine bypass and do not hook up the blue wire because theres no fotbrake input on the pioneer like the alpine. but the pause in between the footbrake output is enough to make a avhp work.

Hey guys. Just some more info regarding the Z2 bypass stuff. I got a brand new Z2 in today. I read from another member that the HD's in the Z1 and Z2 arent locked until the first boot. I manually folded the screen down and removed the hard drive, and plugged it into my adapter. Unfortunately, it was locked. I have a feeling that Pioneer does either a burn in or a software upload or just a function check before they ship them out, which would count as the first boot. Anywho, that was my Z2 experience today.

I know, but these things were a twenty second install, didn't require any programming, and the best part is, they were free...As long as the Pioneer guy had some :D

yeah you can do the same thing with the ptr7 or tr7 . you just do the alpine bypass and do not hook up the blue wire because theres no fotbrake input on the pioneer like the alpine. but the pause in between the footbrake output is enough to make a avhp work.

Hey guys. Just some more info regarding the Z2 bypass stuff. I got a brand new Z2 in today. I read from another member that the HD's in the Z1 and Z2 arent locked until the first boot. I manually folded the screen down and removed the hard drive, and plugged it into my adapter. Unfortunately, it was locked. I have a feeling that Pioneer does either a burn in or a software upload or just a function check before they ship them out, which would count as the first boot. Anywho, that was my Z2 experience today.

Someone here was thinking that since pioneer put in a way to relock the hard drive when it is inserted and the unit is booted up that the drives probably come unlocked and pioneer is letting the avic lock the drive on first boot up. I did not think it was the case. Seems weird they would go through all the security procedures and when they image their drives they left out the locking part. I would assume that Pioneer has a machine that is used to clone drives and pump them out at a rapid rate, and the last step in that cloning procedure would be to lock the drives. If we unlock them and re-insert them into an avic then it re-locks.

Someone here was thinking that since pioneer put in a way to relock the hard drive when it is inserted and the unit is booted up that the drives probably come unlocked and pioneer is letting the avic lock the drive on first boot up. I did not think it was the case. Seems weird they would go through all the security procedures and when they image their drives they left out the locking part. I would assume that Pioneer has a machine that is used to clone drives and pump them out at a rapid rate, and the last step in that cloning procedure would be to lock the drives. If we unlock them and re-insert them into an avic then it re-locks.

I am going to play dumb here but didnt have a sticky for that? where you can "unlock" your drive and disable the sercurity on it preventing future locking? I did that as a precaution so I have a image of the drive for the bluetooth update

I am going to play dumb here but didnt have a sticky for that? where you can "unlock" your drive and disable the sercurity on it preventing future locking? I did that as a precaution so I have a image of the drive for the bluetooth update

Yes there is a sticky on how to do that. But ltl2007 thought that you might be able to pull the drive out before turning it on and it would be unlocked from the factory. The sticky is for unlocking a locked hard drive. ltl2007 found the same thing we thought a while ago, that it comes locked from the factory.