AVIC411.com

Post up your Z1 PET PEVES (firmware hope for the future)

Here are just a few of the things that annoy me that could be fixed/updated/added with a firm/software update. Post 'em up!

-Copy MP3s from data disc to HD
-Echo cancellation for Bluetooth calling
-Volume control of the phone via Vol +/- keys during a call
-Ability to SAY "ok" to the nag screen like on the 80DVD
-Speed up searching of the iPod, and be able to search alphabetically using a QWERTY pad, as if for a POI
-Autodimming of the screen depending on ambient light, like the 7500DVD. I think this could be done by monitoring the IR port....
-Speaker dependent equalization. On the older head units, you could say "Front Speakers: Small/Large", "Rear Speakers: Small/Large".
-Allow for a shut-down screen to be displayed when turning off the car

That's all I've got so far, but there's just a bunch of little things that drive me nuts on this otherwise great unit. I doubt we'll ever see a firmware update, let alone one that makes any of these enhancements, but I like to dream.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Hyperite"]
-Allow for a shut-down screen to be displayed when turning off the car
[/quote]

Why is this an issue? If you turn the car off, woudln't you want your radio to turn off? If they did something to lengthen the time it took for the Z1 to turn off that would probably mess up the timing of my circuit during ignition (remember when you turn the key to on, it powers up for a split second, when you crank the engine, it shuts down, when you finish cranking the engine it starts back up again). Would you want to see something every time you crank the engine over?

The other stuff would be nice but those are not deal breakers for me. This one I can't really think of any good need for.

-Allow us to change the boot up screen with a JPG we could load easily with a CD. I would love for mine to say "Lincoln" or whatever when you turn on the car. It would make it look more "factory".
[quote name="ducatiboy"]The other stuff would be nice but those are not deal breakers for me. This one I can't really think of any good need for.

-Allow us to change the boot up screen with a JPG we could load easily with a CD. I would love for mine to say "Lincoln" or whatever when you turn on the car. It would make it look more "factory".[/quote]

Yeah, this is kinda related to yours, it could just be a short Honda logo that comes on the screen for 2 seconds before it completely turns off. And I understand what you mean about cranking the engine, but maybe it could be an "if unit has been powered up for XX amount of time, show screen, otherwise don't". I dunno, just a nice little logo on startup and shutdown.
I'm really happy with the unit, these are just nag items, but not a deal breaker by any means:

Quick disconnect button on screen for bluetooth, ie touch the phone icon in the upper right hand corner to disconnect bluetooth

Attenuate or mute button on screen

When it asks if you want to reroute durring traffic have the mic be active for 5 seconds so you can say yes or no

Ability to add POI's with proximity alarms - my Magellan let me download all the red light cameras as POI and it will warn me when I am aproaching one

copy mp3's to HD

Faster/better ipod navi

Ability to speak letters at any screen in which you can "type" letters

Faster boot up
In order of priority ( and yes, I know these have already been mentioned )..

1.) Speedier iPod interface...
HOW: When the unit detects an iPod is connected, cache up the main lists.. (i.e. Artists, Albums, Genres, Playlists ). I realize the iPod is serial at 19.2kbaud, but it wouldn't take that long for those lists.. It can be done in the background while the iPod or some other source is playing. I wouldn't mind waiting 5 seconds for the list of songs to load after I've selected that far down. But getting to the middle 10 letters of the alphabet on a packed 60 gig iPod is just plain torture.. Thank god you can go up on the iPod when at the top of the list to hit the bottom.. otherwise, it'd be MUCH worse.

2.) Volume control over Nav voice / Bluetooth Speakerphone when audio from those is playing. Cummon.. the Volume button does NOTHING when this is in progress... Can't even change the playing audio that's in the background ( if you have the unit set to Attenuate the audio instead of muting it ). You have to turn the source off to kill the background stuff, and wade through 3 menus to control the volume of the call ( which yes, you can do while in a call ).

3.) Be able to tell the unit we are mapping a NEW road... Give the road a name... Have the unit ask us what type of road it is.. Limited access, Divided, # of lanes each direction, one way, etc... ( Check boxes would probably be good ), then drive the road... and the Unit learn the road, and be available for routing in the future. This can't possibly be that hard...

4.) Copy MP3's to the HD...

5.) Expand the HD [ which we can now do anyway ]

6.) Change the bootup logo

7.) How about a freak'n Mute / Att button.. somewhere.. anywhere... Please??

8.) Live dock for the HDD or software for the PC that allows us to load it up outside of the unit, or a Data connection to the unit for sync purposes... Wireless, Wired, I don't really care.. This could also be used to send Pioneer the road updates we do in item # 4 above.. Require 2 or more w/ close data, and then mark it for addition on future updates..

[b]Things not to change:[/b] Flash to bypass parking break restriction hack... Don't disable this!! ;)

On a side note... I noticed on the box for my XM Nav Traffic receiver that it says the data connection on it is RS232c compliant.. Would be interesting to sit in the middle of this connection and log all the data... We might be able to do some fun stuff with it.. :)

LK
[quote name="edrock200"] [quote name="Hyperite"]And how about a "reroute" button. Whenever I go off-route, it seems desparate to get me back to the route rather than to my destination. Maybe even just an "Avoid U-Turns" option.[/quote]

Thats odd, my unit reroutes almost immediately.[/quote]
Mine reroutes almost immediately too, but it reroutes to get me back ON route...even if i'm taking a faster road. It'll try to make me U-turn about 5 times before agreeing with me.
first of all, multi-lingual support for ID3 tag.

second, background image "storage" so i don't have to put in cd everytime i want to use custom.

3rd, music record quality adjust, so we can record songs in higher bitrate.

and 4th, ability to upgrade to a bigger hard drive.
*sigh* as I sit here thinking about all this, i really hope we or pioneer come up with a solution to these things. Other than the bluetooth (which I could wire up using another brand's external link w/ pioneer's aux & cell mute) I'm really just using this like a D2. Which is sad because this thing could have way more functionality than the D2. Just feeling a little disappointed is all.
Haha, I dunno if anybody noticed... if you change from the orignal A/V background, the image inside the active source buttons and inside the faux-ipod display are still the lightened original background. Not even an alpha-blended button. Now THAT'S lazy.
[quote name="edrock200"] [quote name="Hyperite"]And how about a "reroute" button. Whenever I go off-route, it seems desparate to get me back to the route rather than to my destination. Maybe even just an "Avoid U-Turns" option.[/quote]

Thats odd, my unit reroutes almost immediately.[/quote]

I'm like Hyperite...mine keeps trying to get me back to the Z1 route instead of offering me an alternative way using my current location. Heck...I'm almost at my destination before it finally decides I'm not turning around and going the way it wanted me to. On a good note though....the next time I punched in that address, it routed me the way I went the last time and "learned" my preferred route. Kinda cool!