AVIC411.com

Drive Image/ISO begging and supplying

OK, if it is the power draw, is it due to the lack of power supplying to the HDD or to the whole unit. The later is easier to check if we can run a bigger wire from the battery to the unit.

To the HDD. The unit doesn't reboot, only the portion that's running off the HDD (Nav, library). If you're listening to Ipod or XM, it'll still play without a glitch when the thing reboots, so the unit is working perfectly fine, just the Windows OS thinking there's a problem and rebooting.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, if it is the power draw, is it due to the lack of power supplying to the HDD or to the whole unit. The later is easier to check if we can run a bigger wire from the battery to the unit.

To the HDD. The unit doesn't reboot, only the portion that's running off the HDD (Nav, library). If you're listening to Ipod or XM, it'll still play without a glitch when the thing reboots, so the unit is working perfectly fine, just the Windows OS thinking there's a problem and rebooting.

If that's the case, look like we have to use another 4200rpm drive. Will look to see if I have one around to test. Good experiment guys, keep it up.

Actually, you will hear the source fade out for about 1/4 of a second as the amplifiers power cycle. This may not be the case with external amps.

I experienced the exact same thing (only reboots about once an hour with mine) with a Hitachi 5400 RPM drive. I'm waiting on the Toshiba 5400 RPM drive that was recommended in another thread. It should arrive early this week. I'll test that out and post my results.

I agree that it seems like a power draw issue.

Dave

Hyperite is right.. You do get the audio cutting out for a brief moment... Nonetheless -- I was thinking along the same lines that it could be power related.. But that begs the question why a 5400rpm drive would cause the issue while a 4200rpm would not, even if they have the same power specs? However, perhaps it is just the max specs that are the same and not the typical case power numbers. I'm guessing the motor that spins faster will draw more current -- so I think it's a good guess!

Let's keep trying stuff and see what happens! Can you even buy 4200rpm laptop drives for cheap? My local shop only has the 5400 drives!!

I experienced the exact same thing (only reboots about once an hour with mine) with a Hitachi 5400 RPM drive. I'm waiting on the Toshiba 5400 RPM drive that was recommended in another thread. It should arrive early this week. I'll test that out and post my results.

I agree that it seems like a power draw issue.

Dave

I have started a new thread here:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3447#63447

That is specifically for the HDD testing and results, this thread should not be hijacked from the topic, and seeing as the images are all posted we should start a new thread to make finding HDD replacement info easier. I have shared my results and hope everyone will follow suit so we can collect as much data as possible.

Just saw this post stryk3r. Thanks for the help!

I have a Giganews account and went and checked on alt.binaries.avic.fileshare and there were no files there. No headers even actually...

alt.binaries.test has millions of headers so I let them download for what seemed like a few hours. I searched for "avic" and "z1" and "z2" and couldnt find a thing.

help?

I imaged it onto an 80 GB Hitachi I had lying around, and it works fine, I just loaded the 30 GB image and left the rest blank just to test it out, when it first booted up.... it says it's updating the system and had 2 parts. Then it rebooted and everything was factory again and it was a z2, THANKS A BUNCH :D

I went for a drive and the maps are updated, the change boot logo option is there, the menus are updated, it's all good. Only took me about 35 mins to load the image across my network. I am currently raring the image into 50MB parts, and then I will make 20% pars and create a nzb. I have created a group on my news service usenetserver.com alt.binaries.avic.fileshare, It's been up about a week and I already uploaded the Z2 update iso from the sticky into it just to make sure it works. I will upload the image onto USENET and then no one has to seed anything, and anyone can grab it all night long at top speeds. I will also be putting it into alt.binaries.test cause I'm not sure if the group I created will populate onto other servers, so if you can't find alt.binaries.avic.filshare then lookup alt.binaries.test and it will be there as wel and that group should show up on all servers for sure.

Thanks to AFMagnum for starting the effort, and bigfloppy for being the first to mass distribute the image, I'm just gonna help pass it on like I promised in the beginning.

Cheers