AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

.....2) I did not have a floppy drive installed to run MHDD. Luckily, I was able to find one a and install it to accomplish the security disable. I would like to see a bootable CD-ROM of MHDD that would work. I actually had one from a while back, but the PC would not boot off it, for some reason. Browsing the CD in Windows, I only found a text file that said "Boot from this CD".

If this has been covered elsewhere I apologize in advance.

I have floppy drives in the computers but I could only find one disk (after looking for a half an hour) and of course it failed when I was writing the image to it :roll:

Along with many other useful HD utilities and tools here http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sucessfully updated a HD1BT to HD3-II HD3-2 firmware software. I bought a HD3-II and a HD1BT and followed your instructions for Z1 - Z3 upgrade. Thanks a lot! I used a Toshiba MK6034GAX 60GB disk with enlarged music partition. Will try Toshiba MK8032GAX 80GB disk soon (1-2 weeks).

• 1 month later...

the Z3 HDD is factory unit that came with the Pioneer Z3, i guess if i pwr up the Z3, it will unlock the HDD and then i just remove it with the screen down, then do the same to the Z1 and swap the HDD, will it work? or will it end up lokcing both HDD out?

oh, thx for warning me b4 i try installing the Z3 HDD, but the bad news is i already removed it from my z3 last night,

1. if i put the z3 HDD back into the z3 unit, would it work again?

2. if i swap the z3 HDD into the z1, and found out that it doesn't work, can i put the z1 HDD back and have the z1 working again?

3. if i put the z3 HDD back into the Z3 and assume it works again, can i hot swap the HDD from the Z3 to the Z1, while keeping both unit powered?

ok, thx alot guys, seems like this is not as ez as i thought it would be, lol. so i guess the unit it self will store the password that is assigned to the HDD when the unit is turned off, and enter the same password to unlock the HDD at pwr-up. since i already have the Z3 HDD out and there is no harm to try swapping it over to the Z1, i guess i will try it first.

And i expect the result is not gonna be possitive, i read the thread on how to upgrade, but if i have a factory Z3 HDD already, does it mean all i needa to is to get a IDE adaptor, then hook it up to my computer, and have it unlocked thru " Download, install and purchase one-time license for HDD Unlock Wizard ($4.97 for a 40Gb Drive) if you don't care about the data on your current drive:http://www.hddunlock.com/ ", it specially stated " only if u dun care losing the data, i guess all i lose it the address and songs, but not the z3 defualt data, right, and is this the cheapest and best way to do the upgrade then. i guess i wont be able to diable the ATA lucking with this unlock Wizard.

*** i just found out the stock Z3 HDD is Toshiba MK4036GACE, so it's 40G, not 30G, thus there is a hardware difference betwwen Z1,Z2 and Z3.

The 5 dollar unlocking software will erase the entire drive..!

The 43 dollar unlocking software will leave the data on the drive as it was before unlocking.

If you want to upgrade your Z1´s firmware/maps, and don´t care about the music on it, then you can unlock the Z1 drive with the 5 dollar software leaving the drive blank (disable security if you unlock). After that you can follow the instructions and download a Z3 image.

If you have a lot of music on your Z3 that you would like to have on your Z1, then you can unlock the Z3 drive with the 43 dollar unlocking software (disable security), unlock the Z1 drive with the 5 dollar software (disable security), and copy the Z3 data from your Z3 hard drive onto the Z1 drive. The music partition needs to be smaller on the 30GB drive so that the other partitions can be copied exactly like they are.

If your Z3 drive is 40GB and you have less than 50% free space, then you (have a lot of music) will have to check that the data will fit. It is all or nothing with the music data, but you can delete some CDs to be able to transfer it to the smaller drive.

Good luck!

The drive in the Z3 is labeled as a Toshiba MK4036GACE, but it is ONLY a 30gb drive. I have analyzed the drive, and it can not be used as a 40gb drive. All parameters are the same ar the 30gb GACE drive. Trust me on this one... No difference between Z1, Z2, and Z3.

DO NOT use the $5 unlocking service unless you have the Z3 image on hand. Get it downloaded first, before wiping the drive.