AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2 wire bypassed Z1 that has never been updated or had a map upgrade.

I'm willing to spend the $$$ for a Z3 upgrade disk.

Is it possible to upgrade the bypassed Z1 to a Z3 without doing the disc image stuff and maintaining the bypass?

My apologies if this has already been covered - I just can't seem to find the details using the search engine, so if someone can post a link to my answer I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

I'm willing to spend the $$$ for a Z3 upgrade disk.

Is it possible to upgrade the bypassed Z1 to a Z3 without doing the disc image stuff and maintaining the bypass?

You can buy a pre-imaged hard drive and just swap it out. Look for the garretoomey threads or just PM him.

• 2 weeks later...

Following this guide, I was able to remove my AVIC-Z1 HDD, unlock it, disable security, and load the new Z3 image on w/o issues.

I really only had two issues, both which I was able to overcome.

1) The motherboard of the PC I used to unlock the drive only had one IDE channel, so I was unable to put the drive as master on the secondary IDE channel. It made no difference. The program found and unlocked the drive as master on the primary channel. Not sure if the guide is wrong, or what.

2) I did not have a floppy drive installed to run MHDD. Luckily, I was able to find one a and install it to accomplish the security disable. I would like to see a bootable CD-ROM of MHDD that would work. I actually had one from a while back, but the PC would not boot off it, for some reason. Browsing the CD in Windows, I only found a text file that said "Boot from this CD".

Another note, I used the $7 Rosewill adapter from NewEgg, which worked just fine. You need to be incredibly careful not to install either the adapter, or the drive backwards. There are arrows to indicate where the adapter plugs into the cable, but the rest is guessing, as my drive had no mark on it. I figured it out using an old 20GB laptop HDD and guessed right.

Also, I had a bear of a time finding an IDE cable that did not have a center pin on each end blocked off. The Rosewill adapter had all 40 pins present.

I think that is the $5 unlock program.

The program is a free download, but you have to pay $5 for the code to unlock your HDD.

You were correct. The program required a $5 license, which I purchased via PayPal. It worked perfectly.

I would like to thank everyone that makes this upgrade possible. I did the Z1 to Z2 upgrade earlier this year. I just completed the Z2 to Z3 upgrade while preserving my phone book and keeping my music. Everything went well and is working fine thanks to the great instructions on the site. FYI, I kept my original Z1 hard drive and used a new one for both upgrades. I used a Hitachi hard drive, model DK23FB60. I have been using this drive for the last 6 months with no problems (rebooting, freezing, etc.) I would recommend this drive if you cannot locate a Toshiba drive.

Thanks AFMagnum

Got my AVIC-Z2 3 days agora on ebay Now it's fresh Z3 I don't see too much diference but it's Z3 lol lol

The Only thing I couldn't find yet on my GPS it's INTERSECTION Street Which I had on my OLD TOMTOM GPS......

If Anybody needs help to do on NYC Area I Live in Long Island Just Let me know I Can HELP

Thanks ALL

Just wanted to post a word of thanks for everyone who made the Z3 upgrade possible! Torrents, step by step instructions, preloaded hard drives... you guys are awesome!

I just finished upgrading my Z2 =>Z3 and it works perfectly (w/the bypass). Many thanks especially to Garret helping out with my very inexperienced questions.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say Thank You to all the nicely detailed methods listed to perform the upgrade. I decided to take a safer route and use a different drive for the upgrade, so I could hold on to the original drive in case I had problems. A couple of things I wanted to note:

1. Like a few others on the forum, I installed my replacement drive into a notebook and was able to successfully disable the security lock on the drive via MHDD. After setting the option I gave it a reboot and double-checked. Sure enough it kept the setting.

2. Replacing the drive is actually an easier path and allows for some insurance should problems arise. However, it does suck to lose all of your addresses and phone book. I'm still glad I went with this method, though.

The icing on the cake for this upgrade is that my street is actually listed on the map for the Z3! WOO HOO!