AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

how is that done? is there thread for it??

A link to the bypass instructions can be found here:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5281

If you update your drive, or replace with a pre configured drive, then you will not need any updates, and will only need to ground the 2 wires as described at the bottom of the instructions page.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I am in need of some help please.

I am trying to upgrade my Z2 to the Z3 image. I have a new hard drive, from a laptop, it is a 40G. Just want to see if this works and then perhaps later go and get a decent drive. Anyway, I downloaded the 14 TIB files. Then downloaded Acronis True Image home. This is where I am stuck. I run the program and select restore, then select the data I want to restore, is this where I would select the file i.e. Z3_virgin1?

If so, the next screen has three options, which one do I select?

1 – Restore disks

2 – Sector by sector

3 – Restore specified files etc

If I select 1 (which is what I thought), do I then just select my 40G drive?

I did do this and the PC rebooted, went into acronis at startup, selected the drive and the files were restored, it was very very quick. Then put the drive in the car and the AVIC said can’t read hard drive.

What did I do wrong – hopefully not much.

Do I also need to unlock this drive before doing anything to it?

Please help and would appreciate it if you could be as detailed as possible. Thanks in advance.

ok, so basically the way I did it was correct?

When I started the restore from acronis, it said the system needs to reboot to complete, so I clicked ok, it rebooted into acronis and not my OS. The clicked on finish, rebooted again to my OS. The drive did not work in the AVIC, any suggestions. Also, yes the drive is now locked, can't see it when connected to my PC

ok, thaks, will try it again. Also, do I need to partition the drive or just do a direct restore from the wizard, I don't care about the actual size of the drive, I don't put any songs on the thing. Just wan the z3 image - I am also bored tonight so have plenty of time :)

OK - got the image on, thanks for your help. Had to unlock the drive and disable the security. Also had to go and by a connector as the one I used earlier was from work.. of course I was in a hurry and there was only one store near me and charged me $20 - oh well.

So these are my questions now:

When I put the drive in, it booted up and ran through some configuration, everything booted up fine for about 5 minutes and then rebooted again. I was adding some stuff (phone numbers etc) and it rebooted again. I left it for the night, drove for about half an hour this morning and all was good. Later on, went for another drive, same thing again, rebooted. Any ideas on that? The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2040AH.

Also, was thinking, if I can do this right, I will just redo my original drive but I was wondering if it is possible to change the boot screen (splash screen) to something else and also is it possible to add pictures for the phone book when a friend calls? If so, where would I add them and what size would they need to be.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, just found the posting on the splash screen, but nothing on the phone book pictures, any ideas on that, also how about adding phone book entries while it is on the bench, takes forever in the car.

Thanks Hyperite

I really appreciate all your help with everything. You are a wealth of information and I would be lost without this forum. I would aslo be a little richer :) Spending all this money on the system and every single feature it has to offer. Definitely worth it and also challenging. I guess I will have to try and get a Toshiba drive. I am almost tempted to just use my original drive for the Z3 image. Just scared of messing it up completely. I don't have anything on the drive other than phone numbers and a few saved directions - not like I can't put them on again.

I suppose if I could do it to a different drive, I could do it to my original.

Again, thanks for the help and to everyone else on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I am decent at computers but I didnt get it to work.

I restored the first 2 partitions per the instructions, but the last 2 werent on the instructions. I cant read the drive now, I assume it has been locked out?

The instructions seemed easy enough, really easy.

Pioneer says hdd unusable.

any help is appreciated.

I have the 80 gb toshiba.

thank you for any replies.

Did you disable security on the drive before you put it in the Z?

If not, you will have to pay to have it unlocked.

For unlocking your 80GB drive it will cost you about $10 if you go to http://www.hddunlock.com/

Once you get the drive unlocked, be sure to first DISABLE SECURITY, then restore ALL of the partitions to it. Then it should work.

Assuming that you are using Acronis to do the restore, you should also be able to expand the "MUSIC" partition (the 3rd partition) to take advantage of the extra space your drive has.

Got the .torrent file, borrowed an IDE adapter from my IT friend, paid the $4.95 unlock fee, unlocked and installed the partitions. Works perfectly!

My Z1 is now a Z3! Awesome!

Also on a side note. I was able to connect my laptop IDE adapter without removing the hard drive from the caddy. If you don't plug it in all the way, it doesn't interfere, at least not on my adapter anyway. Thanks for the great info!