AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if garrettoomey still has any Z3 preloaded drives? I have been trying to PM him to get info on the drive but he has not responded. Might he be away from the forum temporarily?

Yeah, he's out of town 'til the 20th, but he still has a bunch of drives as far as i know.

Does anyone know if garrettoomey still has any Z3 preloaded drives? I have been trying to PM him to get info on the drive but he has not responded. Might he be away from the forum temporarily?

Yeah, he's out of town 'til the 20th, but he still has a bunch of drives as far as i know.

Damn, i wanted to get the drive before the memorial day weekend. oh well. Thanks for the info.

Quick question:

Can I install this image on a fresh hard drive? I have a few spare drives sitting around, and I'd rather not pay for the FF Repair Station software to unlock the drive in my Z2. It'd be much easier to install the Z3 image on one of those spares. It that possible? Would I need to lock the drive with a new password in order to use it in the system, or can it function unlocked.

This whole scenario is not unlike modding the original XBOX system, especially if you didn't have a copy of the unlock code in the eeprom. I believe there are apps out there that are free that can unlock some branded drives with a master unlock password.

I just upgraded my Z2 to a Z3 and so far everything works fine. just downloaded from the FTP site and used Acronis to do everything else.

I haven't tried the voice command but hopefully everything will work fine.

Thanks for the great support guys, this site is amazing...

Cheers... :lol:

These preloaded drives, other than taking the old drive out and putting the new drive in, is there anything else that would need to be done?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the step-by-step.

I have upgraded my Z1 in the past to the Z2. However, I was not able to edit the parameters of the HDD and thus my HDD was relocked.

This time it worked well with the upgrade to the Z3.

I downloaded the CD image of the Magic Boot Disk 2.0 from the same website and that worked instantly.

However, it took me a while to realize that I have to launch the utility FIRST before proceeding with the instructinos on how to disable the security.

For those who get Bad Command or Filename at X:\MHDD> when trying to run the command "EID" make sure to launch the utility first by typing MHDD and hitting enter. This will take you into the utility where you begin by selecting the # associated with your HDD.

In addition, I am using an HP PC running Vista SP1 with no floppy drive. Everything went smooth. Thanks again.

I'm a Comp Sci person so don't tell me this is too complex for me to do ;)

but here is my problem, has anyone did this on a dell system before? All the systems I have are Dell and they all require cable select mode! none work with master/slave you have 2 choices in the BIOS setup for the hard drive controller... OFF or Auto Cable Select... I tried the drive as master on its secondary IDE channel but it didn't detect it at all.. thought wierd... so tried the systems main hard drive in master mode and it wouldn't detect it either... only in Cable select mode would it ever work... so rejumpered the main HDD to CS and went online to look up this toshiba automotive drive's jumper settings... found how to switch it to CS mode... but still doesnt work! not sure if this drive has different jumpers or not... couldnt find specific jumper settings for it only "older models" jumper settings for notebook drives and "newer model" jumper settings... tried them both.. none worked... put it back in my AVIC-Z2 and drive works... so its not the drive itself... kinda think it's dell's IDE controller being stupid with the required cable select mode... so I ordered today a PCI IDE controller for my newer SATA only system to try on there... hopefully this IDE card has master/slave mode and works! if not might be my 2.5 to 3.5 inch IDE adapter thats bad... just bought it though... for a whole $3... IDE card was a whole $9 so, so far not too far money wise into this... anyone else every have this problem with a dell system doing this? i only have one dell system with IDE to test this on the other 2 have SATA only...