AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did the update with the help of Mr. Mazdaspeed!!! Thanks by the way... and everything works fine, used a new Toshiba MK6034GAX drive and put the z2 image using acronis true image 10. When you first install the drive, the unit will go through a update procedure that takes approx. 5 min and then the unit started to work right away... my only problem is that for some reason, the updated maps actually don't show my home address, the previous z1 maps that was previously installed showed my street but the new updated z2 maps, did not??? weird but I don't care, since i never use the "go home" feature. other than that, everything works amazing... THANKS AGAIN TO MAZDASPEED :D

Just finished my upgrade. I took a new MK6034GAX 60 gb toshiba drive and put the z2 image on. I had to use my laptop and a external hard drive case to disable security and apply the image. Did the 2 wire bypass and everything works great. Thanks guys. Now im just waiting to see how to expand the music partition to 30gb

"gparted" is an open-source program that you'll burn to a cd, then you can resize your partitions without wiping anything out. Yeah, ya still gotta have the 2.5 to 3.5 cable, and DISCONNECT ALL YOUR HD's in your pc before running DBAN!!! Leave only the new hd connected. Both programs (gparted & DBAN) to lobotomize & resize your 2.5.

"DBAN" (Darik's Boot And Nuke) will totally wipe out EVERYthing on a drive, including data in "sector 0" (where the hd reads its lock code from. After running DBAN, load your d/l'ed z2 image into it.

Google for the 2 prog's above, enjoy...

...just my 2 cents worth.

• 4 weeks later...
If you use a new drive, it does not need to be unlocked. You still DO need to turn off the ATA Security feature, to prevent the AVIC from locking the drive when it boots from the new drive. If you do not turn off the security, then you will be in the same boat next year when you want to update... :)

By disabling ATA security do you mean by using MHDD referred to in this thread http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728 ? From my understanding if I reuse the Z1 drive I will need to unlock it using A FF Repair Station and also disable the ata security lock. If I use a new drive I only need to disable the ata security. Am I correct? Thanks for the help.

Well it's physically impossible find a MK6034GAX now.

So have people really had success with the MK8034GAX? I thought the biggest it could handle was 60 GB. Are people really using the 80 GB without reboot problems?

What about the fact the MK8034GAX is SATA and not ATA?

Has anyone tried the Toshiba MK8026GAX or MK8032GAX?

EDIT: Nevermind, found some MK6034 hard drives. Sure it'd be nice to go bigger but I want to stick with what is working right now. Is it possible to throw videos onto the hard drive while I have it connected to the computer to put the z2 image on it?

Duke