AVIC411.com

Avic Z-2 Tele Atlas Databse

Can anyone tell me what tele atlas database version they have in their AVIZ Z-1 or Z-2? I purchased my unit almost a year ago and I was appalled that my home adddress was not listed in the database. I called Pioneer then and filed a complaint. They took my name and address etc. gave me a case number and told me an update disk would be available in the spring of this year and that I would be added to the mailing list and that when it became available it would be sent out to me. Well spring came and went and of course I started having the screen lockng up issues during my waiting period. I call a couple of other time complaining about this issue and the tech walk me through a level 1 reset. I again asked about my alledged update disk for the map database and was told something would be be available in the fall. So basically I get the run around and still no disk or a decent answer about my issues with the map data. I am seriously considering filing some type of class action lawsuit againt Pioneer. I'm Looking for a lawyer now that would take it on Pro Bono. In the mean time I am trying to gather some information and get my ducks in a row as I work my personal issue with Pioneer. I will keep you updated on my progress and post some of my exchages with Pioneer as they transpire.

Not to sound too harsh, but...

My house is almost 15 years old, and NONE of the Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine, or Tom Tom databases have it listed. Most will show where it is supposed to be. The navigation systems that are currently available from most manufacurers are supposed to be used as a GUIDE, not the end-all be-all.

Most people use their nav units to locate businesses, entertainment, gas, etc. and not individual houses. I can only imagine how big the database would be if it included all they do now PLUS every single house currently standing right now. Then you have an event like Katrina that wipes out entire TOWNS, and oops Pioneer needs to send out an update disk to everyone that has purchased a nav unit back to the old AVIC-80DVD.

The AVIC-Z1 is a great unit (even with it's flaws) so I would suggest if you are not happy with the product after a year of use, begin shopping for a replacement, and maybe even ask the salesperson to show you your house is in the database for the unit you are interested in. If not, maybe you should read the warning message that comes up when you turn the unit on.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Can anyone tell me what tele atlas database version they have in their AVIZ Z-1 or Z-2? I purchased my unit almost a year ago and I was appalled that my home adddress was not listed in the database. I called Pioneer then and filed a complaint. They took my name and address etc. gave me a case number and told me an update disk would be available in the spring of this year and that I would be added to the mailing list and that when it became available it would be sent out to me. Well spring came and went and of course I started having the screen lockng up issues during my waiting period. I call a couple of other time complaining about this issue and the tech walk me through a level 1 reset. I again asked about my alledged update disk for the map database and was told something would be be available in the fall. So basically I get the run around and still no disk or a decent answer about my issues with the map data. I am seriously considering filing some type of class action lawsuit againt Pioneer. I'm Looking for a lawyer now that would take it on Pro Bono. In the mean time I am trying to gather some information and get my ducks in a row as I work my personal issue with Pioneer. I will keep you updated on my progress and post some of my exchages with Pioneer as they transpire.

Im thinking about also filing a class auction lawsuit because I can't rip my pirated mp3's straight to my harddrive. :lol:

Well the lawsuit would be for more than just the map issues. I have been dealing with Pioneer for almost a year with a variety of issues with this product, screen freezing, camera issues, voice recognition etc. and its really starting to piss me off. I could have gotten factory nav and not had some of the issues I am having with this Z1

yeah it sounds a little extreme. What firmware are you running? I have absolutely no problems with any of the issues you mentioned.

I dunno about the Z1's, but my Z2 allows you to setup your "Home" as a destination or POI....you can even have make a specific sound when you get there(I chose the dog bark), and you can set a little thumbnail sized picture(I chose the sunset), as well as you can set the phone number etc...etc... I eventually deleted it as it was annoying to hear the dog bark, telling me I was home, everytime I started my truck. Although mine doesn't show my house or driveway as a road, it does show me where I'm at in relation to everything surrounding me.

I have only seen one GPS unit that will actually show you your house/driveway, as I just got finished installing it. It actually has a satellite image overlay, alot like Google maps.....and it's just awesome....bad thing is....it's a 12" Marine GPS.... :)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=9158

My wiife has the Lexus GX470, she loved my 4Runner so much had to get her something comparable but with a bit more class. When we test drove the GX470, we put in our home address and it found it immediately. Now mind you its a factory nav in the Lexus, but we bought both trucks new in 2006. Bought the Z-1 new as well and was top of the compared to everything else in teh markest at the time. So I'm more than a little disappointed I could not find our address after spending so much for an aftermarket unit that in my opinion is a much better unit than the Lexus Eclipse AVN product she has.

While it would be cool to have every address set to exact GPS coordinates (except for the database size) I know some people would start saying it is some sort of a government conspiracy. "Big brother or foreigners knows were you live. They can track you easier now… " and so on. Some people just like to complain and freak out no matter how good things are.

And good luck finding a lawyer to go pro bono for you. If you do find one tell me. I had an car that was a POS and I want to sue for that too. :roll:

Funny this topic has gotten a little off topic. What I really wanted to know was what system you had: Z-1 or Z-2, what Tele Atlas database verion you had and what year and month you got your unit. Just wanted to get an assessment of whether or not I am overreacting or have the basis for furthering my case with Pioneer or just dropping the whole issue and buy the damn upgrade CD.

My Tele Atlas database version is: 01.0000. I got my unit around Oct/Nov of 2006

nazrani, it's folks like you that drive the price of goods through the roof with such ridiculous claims and lawsuits. In this case, we're safe because no self respecting attorney would touch this. Of course, there are a lot of them who aren't so "self respecting", so who knows. Buy the damn update and move on...just like everyone else is doing.

Google uses NAVTEQ. So does GARMIN. Navteq maps are more reliable.

Mapquest uses both NAVTEQ and TELEATLAS. But I don't think mapquest is that reliable, not as reliable as google anyways.

Pioneer uses TELEATLAS, thus the reason your avic is not as accurate as a GARMIN device. But still not bad.

In general NAVTEQ is tops, followed by TELEATLAS.

I feel google maps are the most reliable, followed by yahoo and mapquest.

Hope that helps

Actually, if you look at TeleAtlas' site, their maps are usually pretty darn reliable. Its bad routing that pisses people off, and teleatlas doesn't do that part.

On a side note...Nokia bought NavTeq yesterday for the low, low price of $8.1 Billion. Saw it on the home page of yahoo