AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

[quote name="Mazda3Driver"]I own a 2004 Mazda 3 and purchased the Z-1 in early August. And I believe I have a Newer model Z1. Heres my problem and hopefully someone can help. Earlier this month I had my Z1 running withouth the VSS wire connected. I did the light flashing and it worked well at least I thought it did. It worked for about 20 min. then the parking brake warning came up and the bypassed features stopped working. I thought that not having the VSS wire hooked up was the cause of the shut down of the bypass. So I hooked up the VSS wire and now the bypass doesn't work at all. What can I do to fix this issue? Is there a way to fix the bypass with the VSS connected? Is there a way to fix the bypass with the VSS disconnected? Anyone please help.[/quote]

Ok so the light flash thing worked at some point? Is the parking brake wire grounded? If so disconnect it and tape it up. THen you're going to have to reset the z1. Then you should be all good with the vss hooked up and all.
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[i]07/06 Bypass

(for units made in July 06 and newer when the flashing method above does not work, some July 06 units might need to be flashed or have a flasher circuit installed, some might need the bypass below. August 06 and newer should only use this bypass.)

For these models you will NOT need my circuit, all you need to do is just ground 2 wires.

Wire #1:
Ground the parking brake wire.
Wire #2:
Look on the back of the Z1, there are 3 main connectors.
As you are looking at it from the rear, the connector on the bottom right
(closest to the FM antenna plug) is labeled on the back of the Z1 as "connector 2".
The 4 right most locations in that connector DO NOT have wires in them.
You need to add a wire to this position and ground it as well.

Ground this pin in "connector 2"

Personally I took the "cell phone mute" wire out of "connector 1" by taking a
jewlers screw driver and lift up on the white plastic connector part just behind the "metal tang"
in the connector. Some times with these connectors, you push on the metal tang to get the wire out,
with these connectors, lift up on the plastic tang retainer, don't push down on the tang.
It's much easier. I then inserted the cell phone mute wire into this position and grounded it.[/i]

I tried Ducati's method and it works. I have a July 2006 model of the Z1. I tried everything and nothing was working. I found the website at the bottom which had all the information on how to bypass my Z1. I did the bypass yesterday and drove around for about 20-25 min. and the bypass is still working (all features Navi, Nav Traffic, & DVD. Thanks to all of you for the information that you have given me. I really do appreciate it.

July 2006 Bypass info on this post and the bottom address:

[url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url]
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name="JASONADAMW"]Y NOT PUT THE GROUND WIRE ON A SWITCH THAT CAN BE ACTED AS AN EMERGERCY BREAK. [/quote]

You could do this if you wanted to flip a switch and have lockouts and flip it back and have full access. If you wanted to. The only reason I could think of doing that is for police inspection of if your 16 year old daughter was learning to drive and you didn't want her distracted.

[quote name="JASONADAMW"]IF YOU PUT IT ON A SWITCH THAT HAS A CONSTANT CURRENT IT SHOULD ACT AS THE EMERGENCY BREAK.[/quote]

Constant current? I'm very confused. I suppose that with the switch flipped so that the light green wire was floating there would be a constant current of 0. And when you grounded it there would be as constant current of whatever the resistor is in the Z1. I'm still confused but yes, it would switch the lockouts in and out just like the parking brake would (but this one would work while moving).
YEAH THE SWITCH OR BUTTON CAN BE OR ACT AS THE EMERGENCY BREAK. LOOK EVEN A BUTTON THAT I HAVE ALWAYS PUSHED IN CAN ACT AS THE EMERGENCY BREAK. SO THE UNIT WILL ACT AS ITS IN PARK. THE UNIT WILL PLAY. THIS IS VERY EASY. INSTEAD OF REALLY CONNECTING IT TO THE BRAKE U CAN PUT IT ON A SWITCH OR BUTTON.
THE UNIT KNOWS THE BRAKE IS ENABLED CAUSE ITS GIVING A CONSTANT CURRENT. ONCE THE BRAKE IS DOWN IT CUTS IT OFF SO THE UNIT WILL NOT PLAY. BUT IF U PUT A BUTTON OR SWITCH ON IT AS THE BRAKE IT WILL GIVE IT THE SAME AFFECT.
[quote name="Hyperite"]Seems like jason is trying to suggest a way to disable the lockouts but doesn't own a Z1 nor has read this thread. Just a guess.[/quote]

Yah, I didn't think of that. I thought he was trying to say that instead of grounding both wires, just ground the "secret" one on connector 2 and then put the parking brake sense wire on a switch. This of course only works for a June 06 and newer Z1. If you have a June 06 and earlier this won't work at all, if you have a July 06 and newer, this will only work if you ground both the parking brake and the secret connector 2 wire.

I never thought that he was just saying to put the parking brake wire on a switch and be done with it. Yah, if that's what he meant then he never had any double din avic unit. Or he has a Z1 and is testing this out in his garage and hasn't started moving with his "solution" yet. I think that almost everyone here tried that first before looking on the internet for the real "fix". I know I did that :)

I didn't even think that he was trying to sugest a "new" way to try to bypass a Z1 (which of course he is way off). I thought he was saying that we should "switch" the bypass so we could still have the lockouts if we wanted them.

I never heard of anyone refering to grounding a wire as giving the unit a "constant current" or a switch giving you "constant current". Technically there is a current and it's constant in each position, but I was confused since no one I had ever talked to used those terms like that before. They sound technical, but I thought they were used out of context.
[quote name="JASONADAMW"]you r right i do not own it.. but im going to get on and try it.. im saying that you can make a switch act as if its the brake. with this switch u can activate it as the brake is on. maybe im way off but i know this will work. i know the unit will think the brake is on.[/quote]

Oh you don't have a double din Avic nav system, that explains it. If or when you ever get the pleasure of using one, you will learn that your theory is incorrect and you will figure out what all of us have already learned.

You are right in thinking that the Z1 will think that the brake is on, but that's not the only thing that it needs in order to let DVD's play and let you have access to all it's features. It also needs to "sense" that you aren't moving. It can (and will) do that in 3 ways.

1. The gps antenna
2. The vehicles speed sense wire
3. Internal accelerometers

You can physically disconnect 1 and 2 but 3 is internal and there is no way around it. If you ground the parking brake wire and drive around the Z1 will realize this with 1, 2 and 3 and lock you out instantly. If you disconnect 1 and 2 eventually 3 will realize that you are moving and lock you out.

There are only 2 ways to bypass the lockouts and they are posted on my site: [url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url] Depending on when your Z1 was made, there are 2 different methods. If you have a July and newer one, yes, you ground the parking brake, but if you don't ground the wire in connector 2, it will sense the vehicle's motion anyway and not only lock you out but pop up a "your parking brake is not connected properly" and that message will pop up EVERY SINGLE time you start your car till you remove it from ground and reset the Z1.

But if you don't believe us, feel free to go through all the incorrect steps we have all already tried. Let us know how they work for you :) Or just follow my instructions and get it right the first time ;)
ok thats fine that is something i will have to sleep on and figure this out.. there is a way to do it.. to me what sence does it make to make a unit where u can not use the nav when the car is moving..

there is another way around it.. circuit man im sure we can figure this out... but i know my theory will work for the first part now we have to think of part 2 and 3.... so lets get on the ball. i think the parking light thing will work but wont back up 2 and 3 then kick in.. if not then my theory will work but hey maybe not... i do not have one to test this. lol wont get it til my new truck comes in anyway lol does anyone know the full mesurements of the unit by the way
[quote name="JASONADAMW"]ok thats fine that is something i will have to sleep on and figure this out.. there is a way to do it.. to me what sence does it make to make a unit where u can not use the nav when the car is moving..[/quote]

Trust me, we all think that. And most of us don't bypass these things to watch movies while we drive, but to have access to the nav features without pulling over, stopping and putting on the parking brake. I believe the companies lock you out of these things as a legal cover their asses kind of thing. It's annoying but as long as people don't take responsibilities for their actions and want to get paid for their stupidity and their bad judgement then we are all going to get screwed with stupid stuff like this.

[quote name="JASONADAMW"]
there is another way around it.. circuit man im sure we can figure this out... but i know my theory will work for the first part now we have to think of part 2 and 3.... so lets get on the ball. i think the parking light thing will work but wont back up 2 and 3 then kick in.. if not then my theory will work but hey maybe not... i do not have one to test this. lol wont get it til my new truck comes in anyway lol does anyone know the full mesurements of the unit by the way[/quote]

Actually, other than what I have on my web site and the link I posted: [url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url] there are no other ways to get all the nav features while you are moving. The Z1 already has the software inside it to give you full access to the unit all the time, you just need to access it and the instructions on how to do it are on that site. That's all you need. No need to get on the ball, it was done back in April (and when Pioneer made a change to the Z1, it was done... again... in July). Nothing to sleep on. What you want is already done. I'm just worried that you posting incorrect theories will confuse other people who might read it and get the wrong idea.

There are 4 things that need to happen in order for it to give you full access while moving:

1. The gps antenna senses no motion
2. The vehicles speed sense wire senses no motion
3. Internal accelerometers senses no motion
4. The parking brake wire is grounded.

Your theory takes care of #4. If you hook up relays or disconnect wires you can take care of #1 and #2. But there is nothing you can do for #3. So you need to use the Z1's built in "bypass" which was not documented from pioneer but was built in to the unit. I have the directions to do this on my site. Trust me, we have worked on these things quite a bit, just putting the parking brake on a switch will NOT work. If you want to "reinvent the wheel" feel free to not follow the directions on my web site and try all the things we already did. But eventually you will realize the only thing to do with a Z1 is what I post on my site.

But do what you gotta do bud....

The size is on pioneer's web site
Dimensions (Main Chassis) 2DIN (7" x 4" x 6-1/2")
I would post the link right to the specs page but it's huge and I don't want to make the thread really "wide", the main site is: [url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com[/url]
OK I WILL READ THAT LINK.. AND THANKS FOR THE SPECS.. ANYWAY IM SURE WE CAN WRITE A CODED CD AND PUT IT ON THE HARD DRIVE.. THEY DO THE TV BLOCK OUT SO THEY DO NOT GET SUIED THATS UNDERSTANDABLE.. BUT I DO NOT THINK THEY REALLY CARE IF WE BUY PASS IT. THEY DID THERE PART WE JUST DID SOMETHING TO GO AROUND IT SO THEY ARE NOT RESPONCEABLE ANYMORE.. SO YOU HAVE WORK ON THE UNIT SO U KNOW MORE AND BETTER THAN ME SO I CAN NOT ARGUE.

IM SURE SOMEONE IN PIONEER WILL LEAK IT. JUST IN TIME.. BUT LET ME READ YOUR LINK AND SEE WHAT U HAVE ON THERE MAYBE U HAVE THE CURE.. LOL

THANKS FOR THE GOOD INFO AND GREAT CONVO.. WE WILL TALK AGAIN
  • 3 weeks later...