AVIC411.com

Buy now! 60 Dollar price on mapupdate w/3.0

I just ordered my update. I just think of it as a free firmware update and $60 for the new maps. I guess if I didn't want the new maps I'd be pissed, but the maps that are on there now are terrible so I'm glad to fork over the cash (same reason I bought Tom's knob). If you want the perfect Nav unit, go ahead and pay thousands of dollars for one. My F700 was close enough BEFORE the update to make spending more on a different Nav seem silly, and with these updates--if the videos and Pioneer hype are to be believed--it's pretty much as nice as those $1000+ units, and I still only paid $500 for it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add me to the list. Garmin wants $70 for a map update to my old C330 and since it won't fit in the memory I have to buy a SD card too, so for $60 this is worth it. It remains to be seen if it's as good as advertised and based on Pioneer's claims that could be dubious. But I do like the improved functions and graphics shown on the new units so really, it is like getting the update for free with normal map upgrade fees. I don't have crash and burn problems with my F90BT and I don't ever want to have them so I hope this will be cheap insurance against future aggravation.

To everyone who's looking for a pirated version of the update, you do realize that it takes time and money to write software, right?

The 2.0 update they gave us for free last year turned my unit into a very awesome piece of hardware. I use it everyday with bluetooth and an iPod with only minor, infrequent glitches.

I'm guessing the reason the update costs is that they had to bundle it with the new maps, which costs them money as well.

If you want the update, pay for it -- otherwise don't look for a handout and stop whining. Sixty bucks is nothing, considering what the unit costs.

To everyone who's looking for a pirated version of the update, you do realize that it takes time and money to write software, right?

The 2.0 update they gave us for free last year turned my unit into a very awesome piece of hardware. I use it everyday with bluetooth and an iPod with only minor, infrequent glitches.

I'm guessing the reason the update costs is that they had to bundle it with the new maps, which costs them money as well.

If you want the update, pay for it -- otherwise don't look for a handout and stop whining. Sixty bucks is nothing, considering what the unit costs

While I would normally agree with you, I have to take the other side on this one, and with good reason too.

First

When this series was released it was, well, SHIT. there were numerous bugs, ranging from the SD music not playing to Ipods randomly disconnecting, crappy blue boxes on the map screen, laggy and choppy DIVX playback, faulty MSN direct, slow bootup times, menu navigation lag, god i could go on and on. So when they realeased the 2.0 update they fixed a whole slew of problems...that the community here on AVIC 411 had already fixed. Boxes on the map screen, menu navigation lag. If a bunch of forum members can do in several weeks what a company of supposedly highly trained and educated engineers who have all of the specs and information about the HU cant do then there is a problem.

Second

PRICE...jesus christ, when the F series came out it was priced at 800 and up in price. And what did you get for that...well all of the bugs i mentioned above. And while the price has come down recently it is still not a good sign when a new HU comes with maps from 2 years ago, add to that the fact that they are only giving out free updates for thoes purchases made since may of this year.

Third

More of a summary of the last two points...early purchasers of the F series SHOULD NOT BE GUINEA PIGS. pioneer should have taken more time when developing the F series, it is a deal for all of the features on the box...but is sucks ass at actually delivering what the box says it will do. And it is no wonder why kenwood has pounced on the oppertunity to eat up some of the market left by disappointed F series owners.

Therefore in the end I really have no sympathy for Pioneer...they rushed the F series out the door hoping for a short term gain and now will have to pay the long term price...had they actually refined the product for another month or two they could have caught all of these problems and had a much better product.

There are already loads of pissed off customers out there...the only way that pioneer has a chance at winning them back is with an act of charity...now is there chance to prove there commitment to their customers.

Anyway, im sick of ranting...goin to bed.

Dark

:? What a useless thread this is! Not one person answered my question. Instead, you spent your time complaining that you have to pay for something that you would like to have?? Why is everyone so angry? If you don't want it, don't buy it! If you think that you got ripped into buying a piece of junk, pay to fix it or sell it. I believe that a tantrum on a message board isn't going to convince Pioneer to give away something no matter how much time you spend complaining.

Just ordered mine. I don't mind paying the $60+ b/c I know anyone else ever updating maps has to pay as well. Plus I'd really like to get the new software on there.

The part that really got me was $5 for UPS shipping! WTH is that about?! It's two SD cards! Put them in an envelope and throw a couple stamps on it! I just shipped a camera bag in a 10"x10"x10" box via Priority Mail for $4.99!

OK, I'm done... just wanted to whine about something that wasn't the price of the actual update. :lol:

For all the people complaining about early F series users being guinea pigs......It's the price you get for being an early adopter. History has shown that it's never a good idea to buy a new piece of technology as soon as it comes out. There is always a price to be paid for lack of patience.

Remember the first generation iPhone users who immediately bought the iPhone the day it came out, only for it to be rendered almost obsolete less than a year later? Same concept. You are free to purchase new technology the minute it's released....just don't complain about bugs when you do. It's the simple have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too analogy.

I think the $120 price is justified......$60 even more so. If you are completely happy with your unit and the maps, then don't buy the upgrade. If you are not happy (my maps kind of suck - in NYC, it has absolutely no idea what to do around the Lincoln Tunnel), then buy it. Simple.

For all the people complaining about early F series users being guinea pigs......It's the price you get for being an early adopter. History has shown that it's never a good idea to buy a new piece of technology as soon as it comes out. There is always a price to be paid for lack of patience.

Remember the first generation iPhone users who immediately bought the iPhone the day it came out, only for it to be rendered almost obsolete less than a year later? Same concept. You are free to purchase new technology the minute it's released....just don't complain about bugs when you do. It's the simple have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too analogy.

I think the $120 price is justified......$60 even more so. If you are completely happy with your unit and the maps, then don't buy the upgrade. If you are not happy (my maps kind of suck - in NYC, it has absolutely no idea what to do around the Lincoln Tunnel), then buy it. Simple.

The Iphone did what it was advertised to do. Infact it did these things so well that it spawned an array of clones throughout the cell phone market. the F series falled on its ass WHEN PLAYING A SONG FROM THE SD SLOT.

And as for the 1 year life...well thats bullshit, sure apple might have replaced the iphone with a newer model, but that didn't immediately make the old one useless.

Would i pay for a map update? Absolutely...i understand that there are licencing fees for things of that nature...but to force us to pay for thoes extras just to fix something that should have worked properly from day one is a spit in the face.

As for the ranting on a message board...well I see it as a way to vent...the best way to fight back at this point is to use my wallet, and i intend to by getting my hands of the pirated copy(if it comes out) of not buying the damed thing at all, and next time i need a new head unit or any other major piece of equipment, simply avoid pioneer.

Dark

PS...I know that it will be a cold day in hell before pioneer releases this update for free...all im saying is that it would be nice if they did.

The Iphone did what it was advertised to do. Infact it did these things so well that it spawned an array of clones throughout the cell phone market. the F series falled on its ass WHEN PLAYING A SONG FROM THE SD SLOT.

And as for the 1 year life...well thats bullshit, sure apple might have replaced the iphone with a newer model, but that didn't immediately make the old one useless.

Would i pay for a map update? Absolutely...i understand that there are licencing fees for things of that nature...but to force us to pay for thoes extras just to fix something that should have worked properly from day one is a spit in the face.

As for the ranting on a message board...well I see it as a way to vent...the best way to fight back at this point is to use my wallet, and i intend to by getting my hands of the pirated copy(if it comes out) of not buying the damed thing at all, and next time i need a new head unit or any other major piece of equipment, simply avoid pioneer.

Dark

PS...I know that it will be a cold day in hell before pioneer releases this update for free...all im saying is that it would be nice if they did.

I like, agree with, concur with, appreciate and support this post.

Also: I laugh at the people whining about the whiners. Its a message board for crying out loud! People whine on them! Quit whining about people whining! :lol::lol:

Dark

A comparison versus and Iphone is completely unfair. You pay a monthly subscription for a service.

A more appropriate comparison is versus the Itouch, which you DO pay for software updates.

Also, what bugs are you guys talking about? Aside from the HD stations not showing on presets and a very rare SD song cut-off (I have a 30 min commute each way and I get this bug maybe once per month), I have zero bug complaints. Sure, the unit is slow, but that not a bug...

You want another one? How about this: When a phone call comes in, the audio source is just muted (not paused), and control is locked to phone only. If you're listening to a recorded source (worst case, an audiobook) there is NO WAY to keep it from continuing to play silently for the duration of the call. A 20 or 30 minute call and you have to rewind carefully while driving to figure out where you might have been multiple pages before. Ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed after two complete firmward updates (I'm including 3.0 as first reports that it's still untouched).

You want another one? How about this: When a phone call comes in, the audio source is just muted (not paused), and control is locked to phone only. If you're listening to a recorded source (worst case, an audiobook) there is NO WAY to keep it from continuing to play silently for the duration of the call. A 20 or 30 minute call and you have to rewind carefully while driving to figure out where you might have been multiple pages before. Ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed after two complete firmward updates (I'm including 3.0 as first reports that it's still untouched).

That's not a bug.

That's not a bug.

:roll:

Oh, excuse me. Technically, you're correct. It's working as designed. It's just a PISS POOR DESIGN.

It's a FLAW. Get over yourself and your unnecessary technical squabbling.